Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019

Started by BonesawT101, Oct 14, 2017, 07:53:54 PM

Author
Alien Haunts 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray on Alien Day 2019 (Read 69,944 times)

The Old One

The Old One

And he never will.

Necronomicon II

Cameron's too busy with smurfs.  :D

Corporal Hicks

I keep meaning to revisit Avatar. I've not seen it since it came out.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 15, 2019, 08:31:39 AM

That's the thing, isn't it? So successful, yet so... disposable. I'm a big home 3D enthusiast, and I've bought movies I've never even seen before because I've read that the 3D transfer is really good. So of course I have to have Avatar, right? Yet every time I think about buying it, I'm like, "Nah, I don't have $30 for that right now."

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about upgrading to 4K for Alien alone...

Necronomicon II

Avatar is a wonderful technical achievement, but it's by the numbers in every other regard.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 15, 2019, 11:35:05 AM

That's the thing, isn't it? So successful, yet so... disposable. I'm a big home 3D enthusiast, and I've bought movies I've never even seen before because I've read that the 3D transfer is really good. So of course I have to have Avatar, right? Yet every time I think about buying it, I'm like, "Nah, I don't have $30 for that right now."

Or you can wait a few years for an 8K release. (I'm not kidding).

The Old One

The Old One

The difference from 4K to 8K will be so minimal, and so few films will actually benefit from it that I don't see it becoming a large format. Some films don't have the possibility for beyond 2K resolution, most don't have the possibility for beyond 4K.

Huggs

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 15, 2019, 11:35:05 AM

Avatar is one of those movies that I just seem to pass over . I have it on DVD , but I've yet to make the move towards Blu-ray with it. I definitely feel that its reputation is a bit overblown . The last time I watched it, it just seemed stretched far too thin . I just can't rationalize spending nearly $30 on that movie . If I can find it cheap on Black Friday, I may pick it up one day in the future.

As for 4K , I don't know if I'm ready to make that kind of commitment . I only switched exclusively to Blu-ray two years ago , and I am more than satisfied with the quality of the Blu-ray format . I can't justify spending $30 on movies that have been out for 30 years, and that I already have in a high definition format with Master audio .

I've read too many reviews about movies having to be upscaled for 4K, and colors being oversaturated or washed out . I think regular Blu-ray is just about perfect for me . You watch movies like the Martian or Prometheus , and the quality is just exceptional.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 05:43:02 PM
The difference from 4K to 8K will be so minimal, and so few films will actually benefit from it that I don't see it becoming a large format. Some films don't have the possibility for beyond 2K resolution, most don't have the possibility for beyond 4K.

That minimal difference has been hotly debated.

But regardless where one stands, 8K televisions are out there on retail shelves now, and prices are already starting to drop to consumer friendly levels.

You think 4K will be the end of it...?

The Old One

The Old One

I have no doubt that there's going to be better transfers, but will the format be better as a whole? I doubt it. Being that there are already 4K transfers that are inferior to the Blu-rays already, or have enough flaws to cause debate; The Fifth Element for example, 8K will be a niche format if at all not an overall improvement as from DVD to Blu-ray, or the majority of Blu-ray to 4K.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 06:32:02 PM
I have no doubt that there's going to be better transfers, but will the format be better as a whole? I doubt it. Being that there are already 4K transfers that are inferior to the Blu-rays already, or have enough flaws to cause debate; The Fifth Element for example, 8K will be a niche format if at all not an overall improvement as from DVD to Blu-ray, or the majority of Blu-ray to 4K.

I hate to say this sis, but 4K is a niche format. And ironically today, Samsung announced they're pulling out of the 4K blu-ray player market.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/

Feels like 3D all over again.

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly my point, there's no room for 8K.
But 4K's not 3D, 3D's legitimately useless.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 06:44:15 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 06:32:02 PM

I hate to say this sis, but 4K is a niche format. And ironically today, Samsung announced they're pulling out of the 4K blu-ray player market.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/

Feels like 3D all over again.

Or hd-dvd.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 15, 2019, 07:24:52 PM
Exactly my point, there's no room for 8K.

There's no room for both you mean. And 4K will start going bye-bye. It already has.

Out with the old niche. In with the new.

But 4K's not 3D, 3D's legitimately useless.

Hey, watch it sister! I have and enjoy my 3D TV!

The Old One

The Old One

Nonsense. 4K's longevity is all but confirmed, according to Blu-ray.com 4K's outselling their Blu-ray counterparts for most major releases.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed