Total Members Voted: 195

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 141,902 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

True.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Man I'm so satisfied right now. That was awesome. Just bloody simple (and yes bloody  ;D ) and precise. Beautifully shot, performed and executed. Just, well, damn. Catching it in the cinema was a treat, wish it was getting a general cinema release, regardless, Predator fans are in for a treat. Some of the kills in this, wowee, made me giddy as hell.  ;D

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jul 23, 2022, 07:19:46 AM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Jul 23, 2022, 07:07:17 AMI don't know, much less trust, anyone on this site.  Sorry to be an arsehole but quite frankly, most people here like AVP: Requiem.  Not exactly a trustworthy source.  Having said that, I hope Prey is good.  Time will tell.

I mean I like AVPR, but most here don't, I wish I wasn't so alone...

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jul 23, 2022, 06:57:01 AMLook, maybe the film is great.  I don't know, but the early reactions for movies are always positive.  For example, the early reactions to The Rise of Skywalker were glowing.  That's a result of access media.  It's a folly to put stock in early reactions.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2018/09/07/the-predator-early-reactions-are-in/

I actually enjoy watching AVPR from time to time... mainly because I just take it for what it is, essentially a B-movie from the 80's made in the 2000's.

Anyway, totally excited for Prey!

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Aug 03, 2022, 01:29:58 PMMan I'm so satisfied right now. That was awesome. Just bloody simple (and yes bloody  ;D ) and precise. Beautifully shot, performed and executed. Just, well, damn. Catching it in the cinema was a treat, wish it was getting a general cinema release, regardless, Predator fans are in for a treat. Some of the kills in this, wowee, made me giddy as hell.  ;D

I'm giddy just reading this.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 26, 2022, 10:56:08 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Jul 26, 2022, 10:49:38 PMI'll be interested to hear what the thing that bugs you about it is

Spoilers.

Spoiler
So the speargun's projectiles are "smart" in the sense that they go where the targetting lasers go. I don't like the way that Feral seems to not realize this when trying to use the speargun when he doesn't have his mask on because it does contribute towards his death.

It's fully established how it works, we see how it's to the detriment prior to the end of the film, but it just feels like it dumbs Feral down too much by him not remembering. Granted, there's other circumstances going off and etc, but I feel it could have been a bit better handled.
[close]

Spoiler
Sort of see where you're coming from but I think he's just too incensed by this point and just used his projectiles in blind rage; he's also battered, wounded, almost drowned in mud... Ol feral mate is a proud and cocky boi, too.  ;D
[close]

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I heard Feral was a pretty sadistic f**ker. I can't wait to see that.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

He gives no f**ks.  ;D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Man oh man.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Its nice that Mr. H likes the movie on it's own merits but regardless of that along with Critical Drinker he was one of the people who popularized the misogynistic stuff about a female lead. Even the way that he promounced "woman" as "wahmen" in the review is the way that is popular with misogynist.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah agreed, Critical Drinker in particular needs to get f**king deplatformed the absolute c**t.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Critical Drinker and HeelvsBabyface coming out as hard as they did regarding the trailer turned me off. They're so hyper-sensitive to female protagonists. I follow them, but I had an intuitive feeling that Prey was different from a typical "the message" film they so often rip on. They're partly the reason why this movie faces such an incredible uphill battle for sci-fi fans. Most people don't even care that the director's last movie was freaking awesome. Female protagonist, oh it's "woke" they say. Ughhhhhh. Props to Mr. H for keeping it real.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 03, 2022, 03:41:44 PMCritical Drinker and HeelvsBabyface coming out as hard as they did regarding the trailer turned me off. They're so hyper-sensitive to female protagonists. I follow them, but I had an intuitive feeling that Prey was different from a typical "the message" film they so often rip on. They're partly the reason why this movie faces such an incredible uphill battle for sci-fi fans. Most people don't even care that the director's last movie was freaking awesome. Female protagonist, oh it's "woke" they say. Ughhhhhh. Props to Mr. H for keeping it real.

I know what you mean. As much as I also do not like Mr. H bashing on the film before release solely because of a female lead, at least he is able to give the movie a fair chance once he has seen it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I said I would allow "woke" discussion if it didn't make me want to claw my eyeballs out. Those last 6 pages made me want to claw them out. Look folk, I view this the same way I view any discussions on positives or negatives - I only care how you present your opinions. If you can't discuss like adults with actual constructive content I will just get rid of it.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: newagescamartist on Aug 03, 2022, 03:41:44 PMCritical Drinker and HeelvsBabyface coming out as hard as they did regarding the trailer turned me off. They're so hyper-sensitive to female protagonists. I follow them, but I had an intuitive feeling that Prey was different from a typical "the message" film they so often rip on. They're partly the reason why this movie faces such an incredible uphill battle for sci-fi fans. Most people don't even care that the director's last movie was freaking awesome. Female protagonist, oh it's "woke" they say. Ughhhhhh. Props to Mr. H for keeping it real.

If they are so good critics, we should expect them to review the plot (a sci-fi tale set in a distinctive historical period), the characters, worldbuilding, the music or even deliver aesthetic criticism on Feral design, CGI, practical FX and the cinematography of the film.

If they're that smart, they should eat their misogynistic rhetoric so they can judge Naru for what she is: a lead female character from the Comanche nation,  and based on reactions so far; an absolutely superb one.  So, if it works, then  should be no problema with  her defeating the Predator. After all, execution is what matter and confirmation bias could negatively affect objective criticism.

That being said, I don't like to watch their content, but I will definitely watch their review on this film, for the sake of curiosity.  😂

So, we'll see. 🤔

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've said this in another thread but I'll also repeat it here. My take away from the film was nothing to do with going against any gender norms. Unless I missed something - and I'll find out tomorrow - what I took from it was

Spoiler
that the tribe/her mother was more interested in Naru's medical skills which she demonstrates fairly early on and regularly throughout the film, thinking she has more to offer through that than any desire to go hunting. At no point do I recall anyone saying to her "no, it's not a woman's place" or anything like that.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed