Disney Is "Vaulting" Classic Fox Films, Alien Is One of Them

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 25, 2019, 09:54:56 PM

Author
Disney Is "Vaulting" Classic Fox Films, Alien Is One of Them (Read 18,419 times)

dinosauriac

Well, fair enough. Just so long as they don't start taking the discs out of print or cancel any future release plans. We only just got the first film on ultra HD.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: dinosauriac on Nov 04, 2019, 06:12:43 PM
Well, fair enough. Just so long as they don't start taking the discs out of print or cancel any future release plans. We only just got the first film on ultra HD.

They will eventually stop printing a run of discs, that's pretty much expected. Without significant overhaul or another release I don't know why they would make another set. We're really only going to be in trouble if they scour the internet to remove all the DVD's from the store fronts and somehow purge them from retail stores.

I'd imagine you should still be able to rent Aliens from PSN or pick up a copy of Predator 2 at Walmart.

Local Trouble

I expect DIVX to make a comeback eventually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

Huggs

Good luck getting anybody to pay $30 for a digital copy when the discs are all gone. When a studio doesn't even have to fool with cases, artwork, disc manufacturing, packaging and distribution, nobody's going to want to pay the same money for a file that they'd fork over for a steelbook 4k combo.

Not to mention the millions of people who still don't have decent internet, or any internet at all.

The Old One

The Old One

You can't scratch a file.

Huggs

I wouldn't mind going all digital. But it would have to be under very specific circumstances.

Local Trouble

Would you be willing to part with your dusty bookcase full of DVDs and Blu-rays?

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 04, 2019, 08:14:20 PM
Would you be willing to part with your dusty bookcase full of DVDs and Blu-rays?

Never had one, and 95% of my dvds are gone.

Local Trouble

Does your collection look like the bookshelf from The Last Jedi now?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 04, 2019, 07:55:16 PM
Good luck getting anybody to pay $30 for a digital copy when the discs are all gone.

By then a pack of gum will cost you $10, so I can see it.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 04, 2019, 10:07:44 PM
Does your collection look like the bookshelf from The Last Jedi now?

It looks like 4 very small disc wallets.

The Old One

The Old One

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Appreciators of good storytelling.
Qui-Gon Jinn: The Alien Franchise.
Darth Maul: The Disney monopoly.

Valaquen

I remember in the 90's Disney claiming they were vaulting all their animated movies and that you had to buy them on VHS before they were gone forever. Marketing tactic.

SuperiorIronman

It's not so much vaulting so much as they're stopping doing business with independent theaters. Yeah that's going to hurt that market substantially, but that's more so another nail in the coffin given how easy it already is to pick up a copy of Alien 3 or Mr.Mom. Both of which will be on Hulu and Disney+ and at your local Wal-mart if not your convenience store if they are not already.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed