20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 27, 2018, 05:55:56 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Tongal Announce Alien Short Film Contest! (Read 77,348 times)

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 01, 2019, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
Why blow their load all at once? They generate more ongoing discussion by spreading out the release than by dumping it all at once.

6 days is all at once?
Yes. All the conversation is generated in one week long dump and fizzles out soon after. This is how the internet do. By spreading that over 6 weeks they keep the conversation alive and trending for a month and a half, which is much more valuable for online content and also keeps the audience engaged.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 10:21:33 PM
Anyone remember when you had to wait for new episodes of TV shows once per week?

In my day...  :P

I actually agree with your points Huggs but after Isolation's series, I think spacing things out, little by little on a regular basis might be a fun change pace. I kinda like the one per week model right now.

Huggs

April Fools

Y'all made that way too easy.  :laugh:

SiL

What? Where? Normally April Fools involves, I dunno, fooling people ???

Perfect-Organism

Oh I get it!  Well done Huggs!  That was a good one!   :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 01, 2019, 10:47:23 PM
The schedule is just fine.

But yah, those days of having to wait an entire week for an episode kinda sucked.

I mean, I still prefer that to be honest. Gives me more time to mull over what I watched, to speculate about what's to come, and to enjoy each episode as it's own piece. Better Call Saul has been an obsession of mine the last four years, and I cannot imagine watching it all in one sitting for a first viewing.

Sometimes I wish Netflix would slow down and release some of their shows weekly as opposed to entire seasons at a time.

SiL

They do that for some new released, don't they?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2019, 01:20:52 AM

I don't think Netflix has ever spread a season out, to my knowledge. Some of the other streaming platforms do, however.

Huggs

I seem to remember an article about Netflix releasing the first season of the punisher all at once "to encourage binge watching", as they put it.

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2019, 01:22:15 AM

I don't think Netflix has ever spread a season out, to my knowledge. Some of the other streaming platforms do, however.
I looked it up; they do weekly releases on new shows that are also airing on TV so as not to violate broadcasting rights (such as Better Call Saul).

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2019, 01:36:44 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2019, 01:22:15 AM

I looked it up; they do weekly releases on new shows that are also airing on TV so as not to violate broadcasting rights (such as Better Call Saul).

Ahh, yeah, I forgot they have the international rights for BCS. Similar to Annihilation last year, which was a theatrical release in the US but went straight to Netflix everywhere else.

Anything Netflix does in-house all gets dumped on their platform all in one go, however.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2019, 01:12:43 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 01, 2019, 10:47:23 PM
The schedule is just fine.

But yah, those days of having to wait an entire week for an episode kinda sucked.

I mean, I still prefer that to be honest. Gives me more time to mull over what I watched, to speculate about what's to come, and to enjoy each episode as it's own piece. Better Call Saul has been an obsession of mine the last four years, and I cannot imagine watching it all in one sitting for a first viewing.

Sometimes I wish Netflix would slow down and release some of their shows weekly as opposed to entire seasons at a time.

I will say that the anticipation of a new episode of Knight Rider to actually start was a golden moment, but the week long lead-up to that was for the birds.

I did find the suspense of the original Aliens series by Nelson and Verheiden to be intoxicating.  Those books took months and months between issues and it was always a worthwhile wait.  In the meantime my mind was filled with all sorts of scenarios where the story could go.

I'm ok with letting artists, directors and whomever take their time, but I also like the immersive experience of doing the occasional binge watch.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2019, 10:48:54 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 01, 2019, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
Why blow their load all at once? They generate more ongoing discussion by spreading out the release than by dumping it all at once.

6 days is all at once?
Yes. All the conversation is generated in one week long dump and fizzles out soon after. This is how the internet do. By spreading that over 6 weeks they keep the conversation alive and trending for a month and a half, which is much more valuable for online content and also keeps the audience engaged.
I agree! More traffic over a longer time, and people who missed the first one may watch it when they cach the second or third. And it encourages re-watching.

CainsSon

I have one gripe and that is in the sets. I felt they were a bit flimsy looking but well designed. The space vistas were especially nice. I guess it could have delivered one quick "money shot" of the chestburster, but otherwise the acting was solid, the direction was good and the story was simple.

I hope they do this again so I can submit the short I wrote ALIEN: REUNION. I missed the deadline by like 5 fukin minutes because  I failed to consider time zones, like a moron.

SiL

The fact it was US only was a killer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed