DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 75,759 times)

Nostromo

Believe me I know weed.

Still Collating...

Yeah, intention does not equal result. Many, including myself felt the twist and ambiguity of it all was done poorly.

SM

SM

In what way?

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2019, 11:16:20 PM
Ash also called a organism that is entirely dependent on a completely different organism of certain size "perfect".

Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2012, 01:47:00 AM
SM usually says that "perfect organisms" aren't susceptible to machine guns.

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on May 19, 2019, 08:51:56 PM
In what way?

Firstly, it was hinted at very early on. That's all good, but it got me thinking, they're setting this up (and it's a silly idea), they must be doing this to mislead us since they are showing us this so early on. It was all very ambiguous until Mom went for the Queen. There is no justified, convincing argument that at that moment Mom wasn't protecting Max. The previous "attack" by Mom makes things even worse. Things don't end up ambiguous, they end up paradoxical. Is Mom schizophrenic? Is she really having an internal moral battle with herself? We are still talking about an alien, aren't we?

Alien Mom saving the kid from no other than the Queen herself is a bad idea all around and up until that point it was set up perfectly for us to get scared about where this idea is gonna lead, so the opportunity was completely missed to show us that we were only naive in believing an alien could try and protect a non infected Max.

If you want ambiguity, don't have Mom karate kick the Queen in a "get away from him you b*tch" moment, just no.... If you really wanted that moment and then say "ambiguity" as a cop out to not anger the fans, that's not fair either.

That presents a logical problem if all aliens can have the capacity for such drastic feelings towards certain people, we have never seen something like that before when we should've and I seriously don't want to see it again. That's too much of a weakness for an already imperfect organism.  :P

I mean, on a serious note, I'm a guy who loves romance, romantic comedies, drama and musicals quite passionately. But I don't want to ever see an alien get influenced by the power of love.  :laugh:

SM

SM

Fair points.

However we see a Newborn kill the Queen that birthed it and then form a bond with Ripley.  Not the same thing of course - but it would seem there is some potential, however small, for what happened in the comic.

Nostromo

Quote from: Still Collating... on May 20, 2019, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: SM on May 19, 2019, 08:51:56 PM
In what way?

Firstly, it was hinted at very early on. That's all good, but it got me thinking, they're setting this up (and it's a silly idea), they must be doing this to mislead us since they are showing us this so early on. It was all very ambiguous until Mom went for the Queen. There is no justified, convincing argument that at that moment Mom wasn't protecting Max. The previous "attack" by Mom makes things even worse. Things don't end up ambiguous, they end up paradoxical. Is Mom schizophrenic? Is she really having an internal moral battle with herself? We are still talking about an alien, aren't we?

Alien Mom saving the kid from no other than the Queen herself is a bad idea all around and up until that point it was set up perfectly for us to get scared about where this idea is gonna lead, so the opportunity was completely missed to show us that we were only naive in believing an alien could try and protect a non infected Max.

If you want ambiguity, don't have Mom karate kick the Queen in a "get away from him you b*tch" moment, just no.... If you really wanted that moment and then say "ambiguity" as a cop out to not anger the fans, that's not fair either.

That presents a logical problem if all aliens can have the capacity for such drastic feelings towards certain people, we have never seen something like that before when we should've and I seriously don't want to see it again. That's too much of a weakness for an already imperfect organism.  :P

I mean, on a serious note, I'm a guy who loves romance, romantic comedies, drama and musicals quite passionately. But I don't want to ever see an alien get influenced by the power of love.  :laugh:

Well said, well said. Schitzo Alien probably. I'll kill my kid, no I'll protect him instead.

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on May 20, 2019, 08:43:12 PM
Fair points.

However we see a Newborn kill the Queen that birthed it and then form a bond with Ripley.  Not the same thing of course - but it would seem there is some potential, however small, for what happened in the comic.

I get the similarities, though didn't make much of them for two reason.
If Mom was not a pure strain as she seemed to be, but modified in any way, then all bets are off. But that's not the case.
And even if we take the Newborn into account, that atrocity was a bit more consistent from the get go. Hate the Queen, love mama Ripley. Nothing too ambiguous there, Ripley was never attacked. And again, screwed up genes. David would not approve...  :P

Imagine then WY getting some, or breeding some of these ambiguously sympathetic aliens. You control them by holding their human relatives who they love so so much, hostage. Simple. And ridiculous. 

I'll take that there is potential for this plot point, that an alien might not want to kill you right away and make you baby food. But IMO, that needs to be done with more care, cause it's one hell of a hard thing to do well if you're gonna use the regular strain of aliens. A:R does set a precedent for something different, then the prequels went: Hold my bear.

I like this comic overall, just disagree with the execution of its intended ambiguity.
I'm grateful DH and Titan are going at it so strong. Not everybody loves everything, but I'd rather take anything over nothing because this franchise needs regular releases IMO. Eventually something great comes out when you have things coming out regularly instead of putting all eggs in one basket. I await new comics with eagerness.

SM

SM

QuoteYou control them by holding their human relatives who they love so so much, hostage. Simple.

Except the comic shows it isn't simple.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

It is silly though.

Nostromo

I don't understand how it all happens though. Are people discussing what is a good outcome before they write everything? How did a person or people get together and say: OK, we're going to show the mom alien attacking the son and on the next page we'll show her protecting the son, LOL.

SM

SM

No, it was down to the writer.

Monster Man

I interpreted the mother attacking her son in attempt to maim him and keep him from running off, or at the very least dial down on senses so they can always have a beat on him. Although it's still a Xenomorph and isn't exactly a tactician so it may have accidentally killed him instead.

As far as this whole situation goes, I chalk it up to being a genetic fluke or something like it. Maybe akin to the mold in Labyrinth where it's a strange one-off sorta thing or in Music of the Spears where it hesitates only for a second. Regardless I'm sure it gets rectified immediately after the fact.

proto leech

id love an expanded story about a defective alien "protecting" a human. At the same time I totally get why someone would hate the idea.

Still Collating...

I would be on board with that story if there was a good reason for the alien to be defective.

Quote from: SM on May 21, 2019, 09:08:45 PM
QuoteYou control them by holding their human relatives who they love so so much, hostage. Simple.

Except the comic shows it isn't simple.

My mistake, that's a straw-man on my part.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed