Does the Alien Anthology consider the Aliens Kenner action figures to be canon?

Started by predxeno, Jan 10, 2012, 02:00:42 AM

Author
Does the Alien Anthology consider the Aliens Kenner action figures to be canon? (Read 7,054 times)

predxeno

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Jan 03, 2012, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Jan 03, 2012, 01:32:43 AM
Well, the King Alien action figure from Kenner could be naturally occurring.  Of course, that opens the question of whether you accept that medium to be canon.

Unfortunately in Aliens Anthology special features they showed the toys as being separate from the Saga. On the other hand I think every writer likes those toys and have been working them into the stories.

Does anybody know where this is?  Where do they say that?

SM

All I know, is that KingAngel ofthe Outergulf can be rather unreliable when it comes to providing sources.  Sorry.

You could make an argument that Ripley, Hicks, Apone et al. are alive in the comic series, when they were all quite dead.  But Female War comic inexplicably feature Ripley having adventures with Wilks and Billie, when she was also quite dead.

Valaquen

The toys? Canon? Why would anyone even consider that?

SM

You know not the can of worms which you may have just opened...

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Jan 11, 2012, 09:24:24 AM
All I know, is that KingAngel ofthe Outergulf can be rather unreliable when it comes to providing sources.  Sorry.

You could make an argument that Ripley, Hicks, Apone et al. are alive in the comic series, when they were all quite dead.  But Female War comic inexplicably feature Ripley having adventures with Wilks and Billie, when she was also quite dead.

It's ok, I rather like the idea of those comics being canon.  And regarding Female War, the novelization explicitly said that that Ripley was an android.

SM

The comics however, do not.

And have a stack of odd references to a relaltionship between Ripley and Billie that never existed, as well Billiw being called Newt, Wilks called Hicks, and Wilks ship being called the Sulaco.

Whoopsy...

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Jan 11, 2012, 02:53:05 PM
The comics however, do not.

And have a stack of odd references to a relaltionship between Ripley and Billie that never existed, as well Billiw being called Newt, Wilks called Hicks, and Wilks ship being called the Sulaco.

Whoopsy...

Whoopsy indeed!

SM

And oddly enough I was flicking through the Book One TPB the other day, and it was in it's glorious original state.  Black and white, with Hix n Noot.  And was printed in 1996.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jan 15, 2012, 03:02:46 PM
And oddly enough I was flicking through the Book One TPB the other day, and it was in it's glorious original state.  Black and white, with Hix n Noot.  And was printed in 1996.

Books 1/2 and the original AVP comic... The golden age when creativity made fandom believe anything was possible and nothing could go wrong. That all it would take was a bit of polishing for them to reach movie-like standards of quality.

Then along came 'Earth War' and Dark Horse got so many complaints they were forced to fill at least half the letters page up with them.

1991: The year hope died.

predxeno

The thing I didn't like about Earth War was that the art wasn't really that great, but I loved the novelization of it, tho.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 16, 2012, 06:29:08 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 15, 2012, 03:02:46 PM

Books 1/2 and the original AVP comic... The golden age when creativity made fandom believe anything was possible and nothing could go wrong. That all it would take was a bit of polishing for them to reach movie-like standards of quality.

Then along came 'Earth War' and Dark Horse got so many complaints they were forced to fill at least half the letters page up with them.

1991: The year hope died.

:'(

I was really entertained by Earth War when it came out, but I was also probably twelve years old.  I love Sam Keith, but I think he should've done something else in the Aliens universe, a terror story that focuses on survivors or a lab setting or something, just not a big military-esque epic with Ripley.  Not his style...

But no, if the toys were considered canon, not only would it be the only franchise in history where a toy could actually be taken seriously and allowed to define things about the franchise itself, but I would be embarrassed.

SM

As I've said elsewhere I don't Sam Keith's style is suited to anything.  When I used to rag on Earth War, people would say, go read The Tick or Sandman.  Haven't read The Tick, but when I read Sandman, I was extremely pleased when his run ended fairly early on.

RagingDragon

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2012, 05:18:35 AM
As I've said elsewhere I don't Sam Keith's style is suited to anything.  When I used to rag on Earth War, people would say, go read The Tick or Sandman.  Haven't read The Tick, but when I read Sandman, I was extremely pleased when his run ended fairly early on.

I really enjoyed The Maxx, and it had an interesting run on Mtv as an animated series, also.  I recommend it, but I can't think of too many other things I've seen his work in... didn't know he had a run on Sandman, I'll have to check that out to see how strange it is. :laugh:

SM

I think I'm getting The Tick and The Maxx mixed up.

Keith did the initial Sandman run, and is co-creator with Gaiman and Dringenberg.

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

Quote from: SM on Jan 11, 2012, 09:24:24 AM

Like I said before in another tread "There is no reason to believe a thing you say".  I have been 100% reliable, you are self-projecting your own unreliability onto me.  Like for instance the history of the ships that the Colonial Marines use, you screwed that up and when I called you on it I got a sarcastic response.  Or with the issue you have with Colonial Marines using the Pulse Rifle for 50+ years even though they are still using M16s and VP70s.  Same with your self made issues you have with Grant corp, Royal Jelly, ecct ecct.

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 10, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Jan 03, 2012, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Jan 03, 2012, 01:32:43 AM
Well, the King Alien action figure from Kenner could be naturally occurring.  Of course, that opens the question of whether you accept that medium to be canon.

Unfortunately in Aliens Anthology special features they showed the toys as being separate from the Saga. On the other hand I think every writer likes those toys and have been working them into the stories.

Does anybody know where this is?  Where do they say that?

Aliens: Legacy, could have asked me in a p.m. instead of sm.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed