Should I dump my original "Alien Legacy" boxset?

Started by meanstreak, Mar 14, 2011, 04:57:47 AM

Author
Should I dump my original "Alien Legacy" boxset? (Read 5,702 times)

meanstreak

I have the DVD Quadrilogy and now the Blu-ray Anthology, is there anything I would miss out on if I give my original Alien Legacy boxset to my brother?

SiL

Besides the best commentary for Alien, not really, no.

Corporal Hicks

That's on the Anthology though, right?

SiL

Wouldn't have a clue.

predxeno

The theatrical release has its own commentary that's different from the 2003 Quadrilogy release, is that it?  Either way, does the Quadrilogy have this commentary as well?

Bad Replicant

The Quadrilogy doesn't; can't remember if it's on the Anthology or not.

meanstreak

bah, I'm not worried.  I guess I really only watch special features once and then hardly ever again.  My little bro will be happy to have the Alien Legacy boxset and that way I keep it in the family instead of getting $8 for it on eBay!

redalert51

If your a big fan ,keep it and also the earlier box set with the silver embossed alien , of the release most of extras are relegated
to Alien . There are some serious issue's with Blu Ray:, and that is sloppy mastering , my set has some issues , I loaded
Aliens and picture was displayed at zoom 3 or maybe 4 I had to play around with the search menu and it display fine, so that is very good reason to keep your previous editions ............               

SM

Never had an issue with the Blu-Rays.  I wondered about Aliens not having the black widescreen bars, but it was shot at 1.85:1.  Alien and Alien3 were 2.20:1 and Resurrection was 2.35:1.

Troy

Troy

Ridley's Legacy commentary for Alien is on the Anthology (and indexed for you in MU-TH-UR Mode as well).  ;D

Quote from: redalert51 on Mar 17, 2011, 11:43:05 PM
There are some serious issue's with Blu Ray:, and that is sloppy mastering , my set has some issues , I loaded
Aliens and picture was displayed at zoom 3 or maybe 4 I had to play around with the search menu and it display fine, so that is very good reason to keep your previous editions ............             

That's really strange, what player/TV are you using? When you say zoom 3 or 4... are you talking about aspect ratio being off?

meanstreak

Quote from: redalert51 on Mar 17, 2011, 11:43:05 PM
If your a big fan ,keep it and also the earlier box set with the silver embossed alien , of the release most of extras are relegated
to Alien . There are some serious issue's with Blu Ray:, and that is sloppy mastering , my set has some issues , I loaded

Ya that's the one I'm talking about, the 1999 Alien Legacy boxset with the silver embossed Alien on it.  I was just wondering if there are any extras in that set that aren't in the 2004 Quadrilogy and the Blu-ray Anthology.

bearing that in mind though I rarely spend much time watching the extras anymore and my younger bro doesn't have the set at all so I hooked him up with the Legacy boxset.  Sad that it cost $59.99 originally but goes for about $8 on eBay now!

Kel G 426

Just like you're considering, I gave my Legacy set to my brother.  Sometimes I miss it.  I actually prefer the interactive menus of the first two movies over the quadrilogy versions.

predxeno

Those menus from the Legacy set actually sound interesting, are there vids of them?

Kel G 426

Sorry predxeno, but I haven't been able to find any pics or videos on the internet.  The menus for the first two discs basically recreate interior scenes from the films.  The Aliens main menu, for example, has a first-person pov moving through a colony corridor.  Nothing exceptional, but cooler to me than the quadrilogy menus.

DragonBossk

Quote from: kelgaard on May 24, 2011, 07:02:23 AM
Sorry predxeno, but I haven't been able to find any pics or videos on the internet.  The menus for the first two discs basically recreate interior scenes from the films.  The Aliens main menu, for example, has a first-person pov moving through a colony corridor.  Nothing exceptional, but cooler to me than the quadrilogy menus.

This is the same for the non special edition DVDs in the late 90s right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed