Odd Studio makeup team on Mad Max Oscar win and Alien: Covenant effects

Started by Stolen, Mar 29, 2016, 05:47:54 AM

Author
Odd Studio makeup team on Mad Max Oscar win and Alien: Covenant effects (Read 8,899 times)

Stolen

Odd Studio makeup team on Mad Max Oscar win and Alien: Covenant effects

http://if.com.au/2016/03/28/article/Odd-Studio-makeup-team-on-Mad-Max-Oscar-win-and-Alien-Covenant-effects/YLAMJKRVXI.html

QuoteFor their next gig, Martin and Johansen are sinking their teeth into another sequel to an iconic sci-fi franchise - Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant.

The two are on creature effects for the film, which they describe as "a dream job for us rubber monster nerds!"

Yess!

Corporal Hicks

I split this one off from the Tweets thread. I don't think it's massive news or needs a post on the front page but I thought it could do with its own thread as there's potential for more relating to this.

426Buddy

Interesting, what else have they worked on? I'll have to check them out.

Corporal Hicks

Quite a fair bit from the looks of it. Nothing with Ridley though. http://oddstudio.com

Pirates of the Caribbean 5; Dead Men Tell No Tales
Childhood's End
Gods Of Egypt
Mad Max 4 Fury Road
Terminus
The Great Gatsby
Baby Baby
A Place To Call Home
Frank Packer Power Games
The Cup
Muscle Car
Outlaw Michael Howe
Wolverine
Australia
Where The Wild Things Are
Unihabited
Hey, Hey Its Ester Blueburger
Deaths Requiem
Wild Boys
Cloudstreet
Superman Returns
April In July
Ghostrider
Candy
Farscape Series 4
Farscape Series 3
Farscape Series 2
Farscape Series 1
Solo
Lapislazuli
Little Fish
Stealth
The Son Of The Mask
An Incident In Fallujah
Manthing
Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
The Oyster Farmer
The Matrix Revolutions
The Matrix Reloaded
Subterano
Queen Of The Damned
Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
A Garden Tale
Red Planet
The Old Man Who Read Love Stories
Babe, Pig In The City

Enoch

Enoch

Dont worry about effects and visuals... I'm 1000% sure that they are going to be marvelous and top notch.
When speaking about Ridley, my only concern is always story! :)

P.S. This guys from Odd Studios are, by the way, very good (I would say excellent) artists for monster makeup! (all sorts of makeup, prosthetic make up, creature effects, animatronic characters, special effects, props and models) ;) ;D

I have confirmation that they are going to do mainly monster/creatures work for Covenant.

426Buddy

Hmm... thats a big ol' list of projects they've worked on. Not seeing anything that would make them the apparent choice for an alien movie but I'll i give them a shot 8)

I trust Ridley to deliver good FX in all his movies though.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, the article mentions it'll be creature work they're doing. I'm just waiting for a response from my own queries and then I'll run this on the front page later.  :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2016, 02:20:10 PM
Quite a fair bit from the looks of it. Nothing with Ridley though. http://oddstudio.com

Pirates of the Caribbean 5; Dead Men Tell No Tales
Childhood's End
Gods Of Egypt
Mad Max 4 Fury Road
Terminus
The Great Gatsby
Baby Baby
A Place To Call Home
Frank Packer Power Games
The Cup
Muscle Car
Outlaw Michael Howe
Wolverine
Australia
Where The Wild Things Are
Unihabited
Hey, Hey Its Ester Blueburger
Deaths Requiem
Wild Boys
Cloudstreet
Superman Returns
April In July
Ghostrider
Candy
Farscape Series 4
Farscape Series 3
Farscape Series 2
Farscape Series 1
Solo
Lapislazuli
Little Fish
Stealth
The Son Of The Mask
An Incident In Fallujah
Manthing
Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
The Oyster Farmer
The Matrix Revolutions
The Matrix Reloaded
Subterano
Queen Of The Damned
Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
A Garden Tale
Red Planet
The Old Man Who Read Love Stories
Babe, Pig In The City

As far as I'm aware, all those films were shot at Fox Studios, Sydney.

So basically, any film gets made there, they get the job.

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 29, 2016, 02:32:07 PM
Hmm... thats a big ol' list of projects they've worked on. Not seeing anything that would make them the apparent choice for an alien movie but I'll i give them a shot 8)

Didn't those Star Wars films have aliens in them?  :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 29, 2016, 02:32:07 PM

They've done a fair bit of character and creature work before: http://oddstudio.com/creature-effects-character-design/

426Buddy

QuoteDidn't those Star Wars films have aliens in them?  :P

Well when I think of all the practical creature effects used in the prequel films, actual complex animatronic creature effects don't come to mind. But like I said if Ridley hired em they'll probably do great work.

Also some of the pics hicks posted do look good.

Corporal Hicks

I'm particularly impressed with the ape work!

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2016, 06:19:13 PM
I'm particularly impressed with the ape work!

Ditto! That one is incredible!

T Dog

426Buddy

Didnt see farscape on there, thats cool. 8)

XENOMORPHOSIS

I wonder if Ridley Scott will dedicate this movie to HR Giger the Alien Designer and Carlo Rambaldi who made the Creature Effects.

Shame that Legacy Studio who are the successor of Stan Winston Studios who worked on the Creature Effects from Aliens nor Amalgamated Dynamic Inc who did the Creature Effects for Alien 3, Alien Resurrection AVP and AVP-R aren't returning to handle the Creature Effects. I guess Ridley selecting the team he feels are best suited in bringing the Xenomorph to the big screen. I must say I'm glad they're still utilizing Practical Effects and not going overboard with CGI.

On another note do any of you think this Alien esthetic will be more closer to the bio-mechanical look of the original Alien from 1979, because all movies Particularly Alien Resurrection up to Prometheus went with a more overtly Organic quality. https://images3.alphacoders.com/239/239249.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/aliens/images/b/b1/Deacon_alien_prometheus_born.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130922115612

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed