Michael Fassbender Talks Working On Alien: Covenant - "It’s a fantastic mixture of high-end technology and primitive elements"

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 15, 2016, 05:31:26 AM

Author
Michael Fassbender Talks Working On Alien: Covenant - "It’s a fantastic mixture of high-end technology and primitive elements" (Read 41,356 times)

T Dog

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Fassbender says. He tends to just be the professional and just find the good in things and not mention anything remotely negative. I remember in the run up to Prometheus he was just like "yeah......the sets are good......"

Enoch

Well, he mentioned the sets and sets were great (In Prometheus), now he spoke about the story and the horror element, saying: "There's a lot going on (so there is some thriller/horror/mystery/adventure story), I think it is going to be super scary." Following that logic, it's easy to assume that they understood the vital importance of story and narrative. F**k the sets when you don't have a good story, even a good actor can't patch that huge oversight. So huge-mega great story + fine sets and good actors = terrific movie that could become a true successor of original Alien.

KiramidHead

Well, last time around Riddles said the movie was going to be scary... and it wasn't overly so.

426Buddy

Wasnt scary at all and the movie didn't try to be scary or dreadful. I don't know why Ridley kept saying that. That and the trailer prepared me for a whole different movie that's for sure.

Really hope this one is different in that regard.

Enoch

Enoch

Well its difficult to make Xeno scary again. I hope they found a modus to do it. In my opinion, the only way to do it is to give Xeno a much larger context and purpose. We need something sinister and some new and original scary scenes.  ;)

426Buddy

Stompy was quite scary in isolation, its all about presentation.

Aside from that it doesn't have to try to be outright scary, just give it some thick dreadful atmosphere. Prometheus was more adventurous and even wonderous in tone for much of its runtime, unlike the trailers which were scarier than the film itself.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Enoch on May 17, 2016, 01:04:12 AM
Well its difficult to make Xeno scary again. I hope they found a modus to do it. In my opinion, the only way to do it is to give Xeno a much larger context and purpose. We need something sinister and some new and original scary scenes.  ;)

Is it? I thought it was scary as hell in Alien: Isolation.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 17, 2016, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: Enoch on May 17, 2016, 01:04:12 AM

Is it? I thought it was scary as hell in Alien: Isolation.

Alien: Isolation proved it could be scary again. One of the things that led to my fascination with the series was just how much Aliens affected me. I had horrible nightmares for 5 years. Alien: Isolation was a return to that kind of terror. The physical reactions I had playing that game - I was on literal adrenaline comedowns after playing it. It was one of the best Alien experiences I had ever had.

It certainly proved Ridley wrong when he said the Alien couldn't be scary again. It made Blomkamp sit up and take notice too. I certainly hope Ridley took notice.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Keep in mind that a game is a different medium/media than a film. Since it's more personal and interactive than a film it's easier to build tension.

While Alien: Isolation was incredibly tense, I'm not sure I'd call it scary. You knew what was hunting you, you knew what it looked like and you knew what got it's attention. Real fear is best generated by the unknown and what your imagination does with it.

Enoch

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 17, 2016, 02:31:19 PM
Keep in mind that a game is a different medium/media than a film. Since it's more personal and interactive than a film it's easier to build tension.

While Alien: Isolation was incredibly tense, I'm not sure I'd call it scary. You knew what was hunting you, you knew what it looked like and you knew what got it's attention. Real fear is best generated by the unknown and what your imagination does with it.

True. :)

BringbackJonesy!

I reckon a BIG part of creating a 'scary' vibe to the 'ALIEN: COVENANT proceedings will be the music accompanying the images.  While there were some nicely moody cues in PROMETHEUS at certain times, the raw, snarly ALIEN score remains a huge part of the reason why certain scenes ramped up the tension.  Hopefully, some of ALIEN's dread-laden atmosphere can be reached once again by Ridley and his composer.

(By the way, going back to that 'space pirates'/'rathtar' scene from THE FORCE AWAKENS - I dislike it too in it's full existing form, but since I'm re-editing the movie for myself, I quite like the scene now in a far shortened, edited version - the corridor sets certainly wouldn't look out of place in an 'ALIEN' movie I thought)    ;D

NickisSmart

I agree with the unknown, but an Alien in a vent is scary.

It's in the dark, you can't see it, but you know it's there, and it's coming straight for you. :)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 17, 2016, 07:42:22 PM

I agree with the unknown, but an Alien in a vent is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuouhiIVWNY

It's in the dark, you can't see it, but you know it's there, and it's coming straight for you. :)

This 'In the vents" made me think of the way the scares in alien and aliens were very much about the use of the sets in the story. In Alien, you're constantly on edge, because you don't know what it looks like, or where it is, and the Alien has tricks up its sleeve.
In Aliens the same goes. First you're in this Hive and the audience is on edge thinking what's this place...? Then they cant use their weapons, the whole colony is cocooned there, then they come out of the walls, then they are trying to escape. It keeps throwing new information at you in an unnerving way AND making use of the space/sets. Then AND MOST IMPORTANTLY when they hold up in the Med labs/compound, the audience is told: We are sealing these access tunnels, then we are using sentry guns and etc... You are always aware, in the audience, of the surroundings and what steps are being taken, and wondering where they will come from etc.
The motion-trackers help too.
Even the part in the med lab where the facehuggers attack. Its a great use of the set. They can't break the glass, BUrke shuts off the monitors, the gun is outside on the table - its such a great detail because it's not just missing, its right there to be seen - they set off the sprinklers... All about the set.
Overall, the use of the space is important. You need great set-pieces. Think about the first time you heard Ripley say "That can't be that's inside the room!" - All of that works because of the information we are given about the compound. In Alien 3 and A:R there is no real use of space. The only part that worked in that scene was the underwater scene because the set and events combined to surprise us. Especially when the exit was covered in that secreted resin. A nice set-piece. In Alien 3 the only decent set-piece was the Bait and chase at the end.
The problem with A3 and AR is the set pieces weren't so great. Prometheus had a few, but they seemed disconnected from each other.

szkoki

Corporal Hicks

I thought it was absolutely terrifying. I think there's more to it than just the medium though - there's the presentation which stretches across medium. The visuals, the music, the use of audio. It all worked together to create an immense atmosphere. I really don't think Isolations success is based just on being a game - it helped, definitely, but I don't think that precludes it not being able to be scary again on screen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed