Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 774,289 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 30, 2020, 08:17:43 AM
If Deakins doesn't get the Oscar for Best Cinematography, he's been robbed.

But cinematography is the only nomination that The Lighthouse got. So Deakins can stay home and polish his Blade Runner oscar.

The Company of Wolves

The best Little Red Riding Hood movie, and the third best werewolf movie overall, IMO. There are a few shots where the wolves are very obviously cute dogs, though, and the framing device isn't the best.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Child's Play 1-3
Probably my favorite horror franchise, shitty remake not included.
I'm glad they took a different approach after part 3 because it started to go downhill.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Lighthouse (2016)

Pretty good psychological thriller, recounting the real life Smalls Lighthouse Incident. And I have to hand it to the lead actor, the film effectively becomes a one man show by the end, and he carries it admirably.

Huggs

Huggs

Birdman of Alcatraz (4/5)

Elmer Gantry (4/5)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Bride of Chucky (1998)
Not great but still better than the average horror (comedy).

Seed of Chucky (2004)
It's not bad imo but certainly goes a bit downhill towards the end.
Overal I still kinda like it as it's entertaining and original enough. And Jennifer Tilly looks so yum in it.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Color Out of Space

An awesome return to movies for Richard Stanley. It's creepy, disturbing, visceral, and often funny, but I felt the tones were well blended. There are maybe a few places where Cage goes a bit far, reusing a version of his Vampire's Kiss voice (which makes sense if you know where he got it from to begin with), and I would have adapted some parts differently if it were up to me. But overall, this was a good time.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Feb 01, 2020, 02:10:59 AMBride of Chucky (1998)
Not great but still better than the average horror (comedy).

Is that the one where Chucky kills someone by smashing a giant mirror on the ceiling above the waterbed they're lying on? I don't think I ever saw the whole film, but I vividly remember that scene.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Bride of Frankenstein

This is overall a great sequel, but it gets a bit too whimsical at times, like the scene with those weird jar people. It's also a bit too arch as well. That meta prologue with Mary Shelley winks at the audience so hard the film damn near sprains its eyelids. Still, there's a lot of good here. The blind man scene alone is just heartbreaking.

Son of Frankenstein

This one is great, too, and I have no idea why it's often ignored. The production design and atmosphere are the best of the series, and the performances and story are quite good, too. And that's saying quite a lot, considering a good deal of it written on the fly during filming. It only really suffers from maybe being a tad too long at nearly 100 minutes, and there are scenes where Basil Rathbone goes a little too far over the top, but the majority of it works.

Huggs

Huggs

Sudden Impact (1.5/5)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Curse of Chucky (2013)
Back to the old approach. Again not great but not bad either.
And I'm getting to like Fiona Dourif more than at first.

Cult of Chucky (2017)
The timeline and past events get a bit messy but I applaud this movie for its originality, fun and cool kills.
Looking forward to more, which might be in series format.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 01, 2020, 11:52:18 AM
Is that the one where Chucky kills someone by smashing a giant mirror on the ceiling above the waterbed they're lying on? I don't think I ever saw the whole film, but I vividly remember that scene.

Yes.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 01, 2020, 11:59:47 PM
Bride of Frankenstein

Son of Frankenstein

I somehow imagine Step-son of Frankenstein.
With Frankenstein doing a blue collar job while trying to raise his teenage step-child.
"You're not my real dad!"

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The Last of the Mohicans

This was on TV the other night; I didn't intend to watch it, but after the first few minutes I remembered why it's one of my favourite films of all time and I ended up sitting through the whole thing. Perhaps the best final 10 minutes of any movie I've ever seen.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Wolf Man (1941)

A legitimately great werewolf film, with a strong script and a cool makeup design.

The Ghost of Frankenstein

Yeah, this is where Universal started treating the monster movies like C grade trash. It's a notable down grade from Son of Frankenstein in basically every way. And the brain transplant plot feels like parody, which shouldn't be surprising because this movie shares a writer with several Laurel and Hardy flicks. :laugh:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 02, 2020, 10:36:35 AM
The Last of the Mohicans

This was on TV the other night; I didn't intend to watch it, but after the first few minutes I remembered why it's one of my favourite films of all time and I ended up sitting through the whole thing. Perhaps the best final 10 minutes of any movie I've ever seen.

"Some day you and me are going to have a serious disagreement." ;D

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
An amazing film. A slow mediation on what Mr Rogers means to people. Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys are amazing.
The fact i didnt see a single Trailer for this film annoyed me, but I knew i was going to watch it anyway

The Old One

The Old One

Sweeney Todd
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Hollow Man

This started off pretty well, if a bit 90s, but kind of lost me as it went along. It's not terrible, but far from Verhoeven's best. Far from his worst, too, considering Showgirls. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed