Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,178 times)

Munkeywrench

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 29, 2017, 06:11:54 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 28, 2017, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 27, 2017, 06:45:53 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 26, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 26, 2017, 10:24:50 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 12:33:57 PM
For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".
All this undoubtedly carefully planned by James Cameron. Imagine if Hicks or Newt got ripped apart by the Alien queen, the movie wouldn't been anywhere close to as popular as it is now. The soccer moms in the audience would've raged and screamed, but by making the victim a robot that can take being ripped in two, he includes as much of the audience as possible while still doing a good job showcasing the queen's power.

Also, using Logan and Deadpool as indicators that R-rated movies can do well is a pretty bad representative sample given that both of those movies are capeshit diarrhea which nowadays audiences keep craving in higher and higher doses.

It wouldn't have been as popular because that's a crap idea.
Because all the heroes and kids have to survive to make it a good movie? Imagine if the Alien queen had ripped Hicks apart, and Ripley and Bishop had to team up to beat her, with Bishop also getting destroyed in the process. You'd still have the kid surviving to please soccer moms, but the Alien queen would've seemed a lot more powerful as opposed to losing a 1v1 vs a powerloader.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 27, 2017, 12:16:33 AM
Too many kids post here I think, they want Marvel superhero movies not Alien.  They want movies for kids, not adults.
Nah, I think most consumers of these movies are actually fully grown adults, for some reason.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 27, 2017, 07:26:27 AM
Who the heck wants a sequel to Covenant with the way it ended. So let me guess... the colonists get infected and someone has to save the day, and it leads into LV-426 in Alien? Ridley is so obsessed with that backdoor shit. Screw that. Damon had the right idea. Run tangentially, not right behind.
The fun thing about the prequels is that there's no telling what's going to happen, whereas with e.g. a Blomkamp movie it would've been superpredictable (something happens, Alien outbreak, Ripley saves the day). Thank God that Ridley Scott in his old age is willing to break stale conventions, now we just need a slightly tighter script.

98/94 % critic and fan base still say's your ending Aliens ending sucks. Your Alien in Covenant got beat by one mom, twice.
The xeno in Covenant is probably not fully evolved, it has an extreme and uncontrolled aggression, and in both cases it was defeated by Daniels, Tennessee and "Walter" working together. The Queen (which is supposed to be stronger than a Warrior) was literally defeated by only Ripley in an exosuit. It's still a decent scene, but with the changes I proposed it would've been much less Disney and would've been more pleasing overall to most mature audience members I'd wager.

The Queen is probably a lot stronger than a Warrior she was only defeated because she was dropped out into space. Sure the powerloader smacked her around a bit and helped get her into the airlock but if there was no airlock then eventually I'm sure the Queen would figure out how to overpower the machine probably by knocking it over and Ripley would be screwed.

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 29, 2017, 06:11:54 PM

The xeno in Covenant is probably not fully evolved, it has an extreme and uncontrolled aggression

There's no proof of that. Aggression seems to be a general trait of any Alien.

QuoteThe Queen (which is supposed to be stronger than a Warrior) was literally defeated by only Ripley in an exosuit. It's still a decent scene, but with the changes I proposed it would've been much less Disney and would've been more pleasing overall to most mature audience members I'd wager.

The Queens purpose is to lay eggs, being a bad ass just seems to be a bonus. Aliens is still a violent film with some scary imagery. People getting ripped in half isn't going to make a movie better, especially when said movie is as close to perfect in it's genre.

tleilaxu

It would make it better for me. Even as a kid I wished the ripping apart had been with blood instead of robot-fluid.

SM

How is the Alien in Covenant 'not fully evolved'?

Paranoid Android

The point of the hanger battle scene is: 'The two "mothers" fight'; Not 'Look at all this blood we throw at you!'

Bishop isn't being ripped in half because the scene needed someone to "die"; he is being ripped in half specifically so that only Ripley would be left to fight the Queen in order to protect Newt. Him being torn apart has a narrative and thematic purpose. It doesn't just happen for the sake of "gore". That subtle difference is one of the many many reasons why Aliens is far superior to the prequels.

Highland

Also Hicks is in the Med bay asleep.

So that leaves the Kid getting ripped in half ...or Ripley. So you either like kids getting ripped in half or the main hero getting ripped in half. I don't think you've thought this one through.

SM

Remove all the men - even the artificial ones - so it has to be womano a womano.

And have the way cool bit when Bishop catches Newt.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 30, 2017, 01:15:10 AM
The point of the hanger battle scene is: 'The two "mothers" fight'; Not 'Look at all this blood we throw at you!'

Bishop isn't being ripped in half because the scene needed someone to "die"; he is being ripped in half specifically so that only Ripley would be left to fight the Queen in order to protect Newt. Him being torn apart has a narrative and thematic purpose. It doesn't just happen for the sake of "gore". That subtle difference is one of the many many reasons why Aliens is far superior to the prequels.
The reason for the hangar battle scene is to have Ripley defeat the Alien queen while protecting her "daughter". That's something that many audience members can resonate it and it creates emotional attachment. Bishop is ripped apart both to showcase the Queen's terrifying power and to have Ripley be alone. What I'm saying is very simple: the movie would've been better for audiences who prefer more grit as opposed to more Disney, like me, if the scene had been bloodier.

Quote from: Highland on Dec 30, 2017, 01:18:44 AM

So that leaves the Kid getting ripped in half ...or Ripley. So you either like kids getting ripped in half or the main hero getting ripped in half. I don't think you've thought this one through.
Obviously the script could've just been altered to have Hicks come out with them. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Newt getting ripped apart either, mainly because the angry reactions that would've produced in soccer moms would've been pleasing to me, but of course from a film success perspective this is not the ideal option.

kwisatz

QuotePersonally I wouldn't mind seeing Newt getting ripped apart either

Hi David, im loving Mindhunter! Keep it up!

Highland

The whole point of the film is that .... ... never mind.

I find it hilariously ironic that you guy's continually refer to members as "The Pulse Rifle Queen lovers" and your idea of a better movie is to have "Stuff ripped in half"

This forum brings me joy. 

Gash

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 30, 2017, 01:43:43 AM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 30, 2017, 01:15:10 AM

The reason for the hangar battle scene is to have Ripley defeat the Alien queen while protecting her "daughter". That's something that many audience members can resonate it and it creates emotional attachment. Bishop is ripped apart both to showcase the Queen's terrifying power and to have Ripley be alone. What I'm saying is very simple: the movie would've been better for audiences who prefer more grit as opposed to more Disney, like me, if the scene had been bloodier.

Quote from: Highland on Dec 30, 2017, 01:18:44 AM

Obviously the script could've just been altered to have Hicks come out with them. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Newt getting ripped apart either, mainly because the angry reactions that would've produced in soccer moms would've been pleasing to me, but of course from a film success perspective this is not the ideal option.

I thought Aliens was a salvageable film when Newt was taken by the alien, but then it was ruined moments later when Ripley starts out on her rescue mission.

At least Alien3 rectified it.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 30, 2017, 03:43:56 AM

I find it hilariously ironic that you guy's continually refer to members as "The Pulse Rifle Queen lovers" and your idea of a better movie is to have "Stuff ripped in half"

I don't speak for other Covenant defenders, but yes, stuff being ripped in half always helps.

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 30, 2017, 06:01:28 AM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 30, 2017, 03:43:56 AM

I don't speak for other Covenant defenders, but yes, stuff being ripped in half always helps.

Well at least your honest!

Seriously though, Newt getting killed (or even not found again) blows the whole story structure apart.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 30, 2017, 06:01:28 AMI don't speak for other Covenant defenders, but yes, stuff being ripped in half always helps.

It's why I wouldn't mind an gory Aliens flick with Marines and perhaps some Blomkamp robots.
Personally I prefer Prometheus/Engineers/David type stuff but I certainly would enjoy the hell out of some bloody over-the-top action fest.

Btw, you like gory entertainment in general?

tleilaxu

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 30, 2017, 06:52:57 AM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 30, 2017, 06:01:28 AMI don't speak for other Covenant defenders, but yes, stuff being ripped in half always helps.

It's why I wouldn't mind an gory Aliens flick with Marines and perhaps some Blomkamp robots.
Personally I prefer Prometheus/Engineers/David type stuff but I certainly would enjoy the hell out of some bloody over-the-top action fest.

Btw, you like gory entertainment in general?
Well, not for its own sake, but yes, although not every death scene has to be brutal, and not every death scene has to purely visceral. Sometimes the audial aspect can be even more terrifying. For example, Hallett's screams in Covenant are in a way even more terrifying than the thing coming out of his mouth.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed