Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,171 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 27, 2017, 02:16:13 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 27, 2017, 12:16:33 AM
Too many kids post here I think, they want Marvel superhero movies not Alien.  They want movies for kids, not adults.
How old are you?

Just as a litmus test, how old do you think SM is? Or me? :)
I'm taking a crack at this challenge. My guess is that SM is around 46 and you are 32?

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 27, 2017, 07:26:27 AM
Who the heck wants a sequel to Covenant with the way it ended. So let me guess... the colonists get infected and someone has to save the day, and it leads into LV-426 in Alien? Ridley is so obsessed with that back foot shit. Screw that. Damon had the right idea. Run tangentially, not right behind.

Not to mention Daniels is awful. Merrrrrrr cabinbythelake merrrr canyagiveagirlahandhereha!

Daniels character felt really out of place in Alien film, those characteristics belong in a sappy soap tv drama. And her scenes were made worse with that super cheesy piano music, and to make matters even worser that piano creeped it's way in to the actual xenomorph birth.

SM

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 27, 2017, 11:03:42 AM
Too many kids post here I think, they want Marvel superhero movies not Alien.  They want movies for kids, not adults.
How old are you?

I'm taking a crack at this challenge. My guess is that SM is around 46 and you are 32?

Good guess.

Not correct, but a good guess.

Corporal Hicks

SM is ageless.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 11:54:37 PM
The Marvel movies are great and I hope they keep making them forever. Yeah they can be a little formulaic at times (Ant-Man is basically 'Iron Man 1' with a new coat of paint, ditto to a fair degree with 'Doctor Strange') but when the formula works and is entertaining, I don't really care. If the cake tastes great, keep spoon-feeding me that same cake over and over and over.
And sometimes they do go outside the mold (Captain America: Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, Thor Ragnarok) and they've knocked it out of the park every time as far as I'm concerned, so whether they stick with "the formula" or they try something new, I'm not at all worried.
I don't really understand the Marvel hate over here either. They are (mostly) good films, both in their genre and outside it.

Is this a hipster thing? Hating on Marvel, Star Wars and Aliens because they are beloved and commercially successful?

Is it because Ridley Scott didn't suggest it? I've seen tons of posts around here all anxious to see Ridley's third film, where David and his pet alien project were supposed to fight head on with The Blue Man Group.Ltd (you know, kind of similarly to another film series where the Alien was pitted against another type of alien, with humans who had a shared history with the latter being caught in the middle) - but pulse rifles and power loaders?! That's where we draw the line!

When Ridley Scott was talking about making the Alien franchise more like Star Wars, whatever that means, people were cheering him on. Now that Star Wars and Alien are owned by the same people, making the possibility for the two franchises to be as similar as the great visionary Scott had in mind, the same people shudder in fear of the mere thought. What's wrong? Isn't this what you wanted?

I'm for one am happy about the Disney deal. Mainly because I look at Disney's track record:
Marvel films were mostly terrible before Disney bought them - now they are a powerhouse, consistently liked by fans and critics alike.
Disney also bought Pixar, which made great films prior to the purchase, and kept on making great films after the purchase. The main change was that thanks to the purchase, Disney has updated its own animation studio, so now both Disney and Pixar release great animated films on a regular basis.
Then Disney bought Lucasfilm, with the stench of the prequels looming all over the Star Wars franchise. They turned that ship around and now Star Wars is a main event at the cinemas again.

Disney clearly knows how to handle its properties, when Fox had no clue about what to do with Alien and Predator since the 90's. It is the great hope this franchise deserves...and on a personal note, with the way the Alien prequels turned out, there's nothing left to do that could possibly ruin this franchise any further, so the only way to go from here is up.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 11:54:37 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 26, 2017, 11:03:39 PM
Don't want to interrupt the truly interesting argument about the possibility of making good PG-13 horror films under Disney, but I do want to throw in a crazy theory:

What if...- and I know it sounds crazy, but what if...someone at Disney had actually heard about the Alien franchise? Maybe even, god forbid, seen a film or two? What if that guy mentioned how it's a violent and bloody franchise and therefore requires an R rating, before buying it?

What if the execs at Disney didn't just blindly throw billions of dollars at Fox for the giggles? Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the people at Disney know what they bought?
Whoa whoa whoa, this is the INTERNET, we don't allow reasonable opinions here!
Yeah, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Forget I said anything.

reecebomb

Agree that it's almost impossible to do noticeably worse than Ridleys prequels, most of the damage is already done but not sure if we should be happy with the Disney monopoly. Star Wars sequels have lots of similar problems with Alien prequels, I really hope we don't get more of the same, better not make any at all if that's the case. Marvel films are not bad as per se but they are nothing more than a multimillion dollar fast food entertainment, I personally don't get much entertainment from them. Pixar no longer isn't what it used to be either.

Jonesy1974

I don't really get the Disney hate either, it just seems to be a band wagon people jump on. The Marvel and Star Wars films they have produced are well made, entertaining and hugely successful.

My only concern is they tend to over saturate the market by making them too regularly. This kills the anticipation for me and leads to fatigue but I can't see them doing that with Alien movies.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 27, 2017, 12:26:52 PM
My only concern is they tend to over saturate the market by making them too regularly. This kills the anticipation for me and leads to fatigue but I can't see them doing that with Alien movies.

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm mainly concerned about as well. A good Alien/Predator film causing Disney to push these films out every year. That said, it's what I consider as one of them 'good' problems.

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 27, 2017, 12:11:51 PM
Pixar no longer isn't what it used to be either.
Their post-Disney track record includes: Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out and Coco. They released some of their best films under Disney.

reecebomb

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 27, 2017, 12:44:34 PM

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm mainly concerned about as well. A good Alien/Predator film causing Disney to push these films out every year. That said, it's what I consider as one of them 'good' problems.

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 27, 2017, 12:11:51 PM
Pixar no longer isn't what it used to be either.
Their post-Disney track record includes: Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Inside Out and Coco. They released some of their best films under Disney.

Tbf Coco indeed is a sign that things are going up again, no need to waste talent on another Cars sequel.

Xenomrph

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 27, 2017, 11:03:42 AM
How old are you?

I want to wait and see what Scorpio says, but I'll PM you in a bit.

Highland

Or you could just click on his name and read it...

Valentine Hale

Valentine Hale

I kinda agree with sir. Ridley Scott, Alien is a legendary sci fi franchise and it deserves a huge fandom (such as better movies). I think i'd like to see rather more Prometheus film, it was so refreshing and s good concept for the expanded universe

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 26, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 26, 2017, 10:24:50 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2017, 12:33:57 PM
For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".
All this undoubtedly carefully planned by James Cameron. Imagine if Hicks or Newt got ripped apart by the Alien queen, the movie wouldn't been anywhere close to as popular as it is now. The soccer moms in the audience would've raged and screamed, but by making the victim a robot that can take being ripped in two, he includes as much of the audience as possible while still doing a good job showcasing the queen's power.

Also, using Logan and Deadpool as indicators that R-rated movies can do well is a pretty bad representative sample given that both of those movies are capeshit diarrhea which nowadays audiences keep craving in higher and higher doses.

It wouldn't have been as popular because that's a crap idea.
Because all the heroes and kids have to survive to make it a good movie? Imagine if the Alien queen had ripped Hicks apart, and Ripley and Bishop had to team up to beat her, with Bishop also getting destroyed in the process. You'd still have the kid surviving to please soccer moms, but the Alien queen would've seemed a lot more powerful as opposed to losing a 1v1 vs a powerloader.

Nah, I think most consumers of these movies are actually fully grown adults, for some reason.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 27, 2017, 07:26:27 AM
Who the heck wants a sequel to Covenant with the way it ended. So let me guess... the colonists get infected and someone has to save the day, and it leads into LV-426 in Alien? Ridley is so obsessed with that backdoor shit. Screw that. Damon had the right idea. Run tangentially, not right behind.
The fun thing about the prequels is that there's no telling what's going to happen, whereas with e.g. a Blomkamp movie it would've been superpredictable (something happens, Alien outbreak, Ripley saves the day). Thank God that Ridley Scott in his old age is willing to break stale conventions, now we just need a slightly tighter script.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Highland on Dec 27, 2017, 04:16:37 PM
Or you could just click on his name and read it...

Oh shit, I forgot about that. :D

DaddyYautja

I don't really get the Disney hate either, it just seems to be a band wagon people jump on. The Marvel and Star Wars films they have produced are well made, entertaining and hugely successful.

Marvel movies are action comedies at this point. People are hating the new SW movie because all the comedy in it.

Disney destroys the essence of their movies and put out generic stuff.  They make money, no question, but whats the point of a cantina scene with no one smoking or drinking?

If you are in the crowd that are just happy for something to be made, cool, but there are people that want to keep the original essence of the films and would rather not see some mass produced thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed