Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,752 times)

felix

felix

Didn't care for some stuff but i guess they didn't have a choice.

Spoiler
So the local fauna is poisonous to Xenomorphs. Ah okay.
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
No.  The local fauna gets used for hosts.  The leaves of one particular bush react with Alien blood, which was really well handled.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Which I really never expected at all.

SM

SM

Nor did I.

Kradan

Kradan

Spoiler
Tbh, I find it's a bit convenient that on a random planet conquered by Aliens poisonous to them plant happens to grow. And even more so that discovery was made right when humanity was almost wiped out and right when there was a hero capable to lead people against xenomorphs and right when such weapon was most needed.
[close]

Nonetheless, I still enjoyed book a lot.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Mar 08, 2020, 07:09:28 AM
Spoiler
No.  The local fauna gets used for hosts.  The leaves of one particular bush react with Alien blood, which was really well handled.
[close]

Spoiler
I agree it was well handled and does create a horrific situation later on when they are ingested by hosts, it does cause some continuity problems however, namely how it should not be possible to regurgitate something that is growing in the chest cavity, not the stomach. Cold Forge established that it was a mutagenic liquid that was injected into the host and then absorbed by the eosphagus/stomach, there is no chestburster until it starts growing in the chest cavity. The only thing that should have been regurgitated if anything, would be the black liquid.
[close]

Great interview, its cool he worked with Alex White on the book to a keep a sense continuity. I noticed the whole hook thing was taken from his previous work Dangerous Prey, nice touch.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 08, 2020, 12:31:10 PM
Spoiler
Tbh, I find it's a bit convenient that on a random planet conquered by Aliens poisonous to them plant happens to grow. And even more so that discovery was made right when humanity was almost wiped out and right when there was a hero capable to lead people against xenomorphs and right when such weapon was most needed.
[close]

Oops. I'm terribly sorry, Corporal. I forgot about spoilers.

SM

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 08, 2020, 02:53:46 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 08, 2020, 07:09:28 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I agree it was well handled and does create a horrific situation later on when they are ingested by hosts, it does cause some continuity problems however, namely how it should not be possible to regurgitate something that is growing in the chest cavity, not the stomach. Cold Forge established that it was a mutagenic liquid that was injected into the host and then absorbed by the eosphagus/stomach, there is no chestburster until it starts growing in the chest cavity. The only thing that should have been regurgitated if anything, would be the black liquid.
[close]

Great interview, its cool he worked with Alex White on the book to a keep a sense continuity. I noticed the whole hook thing was taken from his previous work Dangerous Prey, nice touch.

Spoiler
Alien 3 established that the burster sits in the chest cavity - but you're right that you shouldn't be able to regurgitate one.  I did think of it very briefly at the time then forgot about it because even throwing one up can kill you.  Put it down to birth defects.  Or something.  ;D
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
[close]

It's no-more convenient than the
Spoiler
planet Church lands on having the black mold.
[close]
There's got to be some give when telling the stories.

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 08, 2020, 03:57:41 PM
Oops. I'm terribly sorry, Corporal. I forgot about spoilers.

No worries. No-one reported it so I assume you didn't spoil it for anyone.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2020, 10:59:26 AM
Spoiler
[close]

It's no-more convenient than the
Spoiler
planet Church lands on having the black mold.
[close]
There's got to be some give when telling the stories.

Well, I'd say in Phalanx it seemed more convenient.
Spoiler
Even characters in the book wonder why the discovery wasn't made earlier and I actually hoped it would lead to some interesting revelation.
[close]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2020, 10:59:26 AM
No worries. No-one reported it so I assume you didn't spoil it for anyone.

Glad to know.

razeak

razeak

I honestly wouldn't mind to see a follow up even if it didn't involve xenos. It's an interesting world.

Also, I'm glad they shut down the over explaining of particular aspects or mysteries of the alien.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's taken a while to get going but I've just got to the first real interactions with Aliens and it's amazingly tense.

Apparently to the point where it had me dreaming about being hunted by Aliens last night :laugh:

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: razeak on Mar 09, 2020, 06:45:53 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind to see a follow up even if it didn't involve xenos. It's an interesting world.

Also, I'm glad they shut down the over explaining of particular aspects or mysteries of the alien.

I haven't started yet, but this is a relief.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 11, 2020, 11:45:02 AM
It's taken a while to get going but I've just got to the first real interactions with Aliens and it's amazingly tense.

Apparently to the point where it had me dreaming about being hunted by Aliens last night :laugh:

Cool dream you have !

SM

SM

QuoteIt's taken a while to get going but I've just got to the first real interactions with Aliens and it's amazingly tense.

Spoiler
The stuff in Keflan in the dark is the tensest stuff I've read in any Alien novel.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed