Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology

Started by BryanThomasS, Jan 07, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Author
Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology (Read 64,246 times)

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 19, 2022, 08:39:42 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 13, 2022, 06:14:58 PM
Currently reading Blood and Honor and I've actually felt the need to come on here and point out how much it's disappointing me. I thought it started really well but the longer it goes on the more I'm hating it. It's reminding me of the worst of the DH Press Alien books with how it's missing the mark on the titular creatures and the increasingly cringey dialogue. In fact the drop-off in quality from start to end almost gives me the impression whoever was responsible for tidying up the first draft ran out of time to do so.

Just returned to Ultimate Prey after re-reading Turnabout/Rematch for a recording tonight. Literally just finished Blood and Honor too. Not much to say on this one. Wasn't a fan. Felt like a new fan trying to write fanfiction, overly relying on Xenopedia for terminology and etc. Also felt like the author was trying to do too much within a short story which contributed to that fanfiction feel. Really didn't like the nicknames given to the Predators. Didn't feel fluid at all.

It was probably the weakest story of the lot and I agree that they tried to cram too much into such a short story.

I got inspired to re-read "Phalanx" so I could immediately re-read its sequel "Another Mother" back to back. I forgot just how much I enjoy the world of Ataegina.

Adamantiumhip

Hi guys, Im new here so sorry if this first topic is going to be controversial!

Im talking about the recent anthology AVP Ultimate Prey. I already found Maberry's bug hunt anthology to be a big let down so Im sad to say this is continuing so far. In fairness I am only a few stories in so I will mention my thoughts on them. And it could easily end up getting better . Mira Grant is a favourite of mine and her story is next for me.

One big thing is I noticed avpgalaxy mentioned a lot, and how this book respects canon. Which makes me think, how much did avpg actually suggest or give feedback? Because theres already a huge issue I noticed that they must have as well being even bigger super fans. So im wondering if they noticed and just got ignored or didnt bring it up.

That is this...aliens vs predators on earth.  Now every time an alien is on earth,  be it in comics, games etc its a potential doomsday/apocalyptic event.  In avp the movie, the preds deliberately chose a real isolated continent  with which to build a temple, far from any civilisations . They are hunters, not careless to the point of causing mass extinctions. Yet this has them dropping alien eggs willy nilly all over the place.   With no regard or care.  In avp requiem they end up on earth through pure accident, and wolf has to clean up and destroy all evidence of both species. Yet the amount of people here who witness or survive alien encounters, as well as the frequencey it happens, means stargazer , weyland yutani and the government would have a lot more sites and info on the species than they do. They could basically not turn around without finding major incidents. The preds are sloppy where they drop prey and dont bother hiding their presence.

Maberry is a decent writer but his stories tend to end up as tied up and work out in favour for the protagonists, which is a trope that carries on here for the most part and wonder if it was a conscious choice in stories chosen..

My thoughts on the stories so far.

Beyond top secret.  , this so far is probably the best. Its interesting that its in area 51, but again it see s to be inconsistent with the predator movies. Stargazer would be knowledgeable about predators already and maybe even aliens considering lexs staff in the last movie. But these seem totally unaware. But that said, it was solid otherwise.

Isla mantanzas aka avpvslavetrade. This was so eye rolling i thought i had turned into the undertaker.  I find it hard to believe a powerful group of amazon warriors were caught and enslaved so easily, and not only that, easily defeated aliens even in shackles.  This was aliens as cannon fodder in a time before even decent weaponry existed and felt like an obvious political message, albeit one we can all agree with (slavery is bad, yes) over a decent story. Worst so far.

Homestead was decent with an ok ending. But this was another one where preds seemed to drop eggs willy nilly with no regard. At least even the last story was isolated on an island even if it did make xenos look useless.  And the protagonist didnt see. Very likeable the way she didnt care at all about her dog. But otherwise ok.  Another solid story. But not very memorable

And the hotel mariposa.  This was the most grievous for a predator giving no care for the surrounding area and leaving traces of themselves for centuries. There were some good ideas but a bit cheesy in the end. Not badly written, just not a good avp story because of the predators disregard for surroundings and an ending that tied things up for the survivor a little too nicely

And all so far have felt extremely rushed especially the endings, though maybe that is to do with the format and possible space limitations. Im hoping a few stories can turn it from meh to good. The last few novels before this were really good (into charybdis , prototype and phalanx)  so maybe my expectations were too high

What did you guys think? Interested in all opinions and views!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Adamantiumhip on Mar 20, 2022, 05:55:55 AM
One big thing is I noticed avpgalaxy mentioned a lot, and how this book respects canon. Which makes me think, how much did avpg actually suggest or give feedback? Because theres already a huge issue I noticed that they must have as well being even bigger super fans. So im wondering if they noticed and just got ignored or didnt bring it up.

First off, welcome to the boards! We had no say over plot or settings. We were just asked about continuity details and the like. It didn't always mean our responses had to be taken into account. As Hudson said - "don't ask me, man. I just work here."

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Hey there, and welcome!

Please don't forget to use the 'Spoiler' tag when talking about significant plot elements of a recently released book. It's the black and yellow circle in the text options.

The book says it's "set in the expanded Aliens vs. Predators Universe." So take that to mean what you will in terms of being in line with canon.

As Hicks explained we were asked about world-building elements in regards to continuity & some technical stuff about the Aliens and Predators, but that input wouldn't lead to any major shift in basic plot or setting.

Now every time an alien is on earth, be it in comics, games etc its a potential doomsday/apocalyptic event.

Not always, thinking of AvP Eternal or AvP Sand Trap.

Honestly I just imagine there being other cleaner Predators or a Government / Corporate group came in to clean up the mess in the Earth stories.

Im hoping a few stories can turn it from meh to good.

The last two are among my favs in the book.

Adamantiumhip

Adamantiumhip

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 20, 2022, 12:58:42 PM

First off, welcome to the boards! We had no say over plot or settings. We were just asked about continuity details and the like. It didn't always mean our responses had to be taken into account. As Hudson said - "don't ask me, man. I just work here."

Hey there, I thought that might be the case! You are the most passionate fans Ive ever seen so I kind of suspected that if I thought of that you had too!

I was just curious about it and in no way meant it to be bashing so please dont take it as that!

Also Mira Grant came through, I thought her story was genuinely really good. I am a huge fan of hers, I am feeling more optimistic about it now. Theres only one story I would classify so far as mediocre, the rest all have their charms .

Adamantiumhip

And back to mediocre. Well actually I'll say outright I think Blood and Honour was bad. Others were forgettable or in  Area 51 story or Mira Grants case good, but this was just bad.  Again a story picked it seems for political messages rather than quality. And it has one of the dumbest protagonist moments I have ever seen in any medium, just mind blowingly stupid.

Corporal Hicks

Finished Carbon Rites yesterday. Was a nice return to solid after Blood and Honor. Really enjoyed Rites. Nice twist on the

Spoiler
Earth setting. The easter eggs were handled well, I think, but could have done without the Berserker reference as I don't think it gells with the USM too well.
[close]

Adamantiumhip

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 22, 2022, 08:41:59 AM
Finished Carbon Rites yesterday. Was a nice return to solid after Blood and Honor. Really enjoyed Rites. Nice twist on the

Spoiler
Earth setting. The easter eggs were handled well, I think, but could have done without the Berserker reference as I don't think it gells with the USM too well.
[close]

Man can you believe how bad the writing was in blood and honor?

Spoiler
she overheard the guy shes sleeping with wife discuss her  together and the wife tells him to kill her, and she just takes a drink from him seconds later?.
[close]

HuDaFuK

As I said when I reviewed it myself, it felt to me as if much of the second half of that story was a first draft that never got the tidy-up it should've had. I thought the first half wasn't bad, but it just got increasingly ropey as it went on.

VN1X

So is this something that comes recommended from the hive mind here then or skip altogether?

Thanks.

Saith

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 19, 2022, 08:39:42 AM
...after re-reading Turnabout/Rematch for a recording tonight....

Now, that I'm looking forward to!

Kradan

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Finished a few more shorts over the weekend.

Spoiler
First Hunt - here's your futuristic AvP action piece. Love the concept of the infested human ship being used as a proving ground. I think there's legs in that setting alone and would have liked to have seen more of that aspect tbh. The handling of the acid was interesting - but wasn't a fan of the fast impregnation. I never will like that. Also wasn't keen on the Predator names. But all in all, another solid entry.

Abuse, Interrupted - Really enjoyed this one. Yvonne redeemed herself from that awful short in Bug Hunt here. Very intense short. Action could have been a bit longer, but I really enjoyed it. Though I must say that part of me that hates the humanized female Predator wants to shake my fist at Illfonic for making the booby/female figure Predators canon.

Better Luck To Borrow - Absolutely hated this. Down there with Blood and Honour. Some interesting bits with the chemicals but that was it. Silly premise. You never go full Kenner. And that bit with the Predator and the saw. Why??? So daft.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2022, 09:58:44 AMBetter Luck To Borrow - Absolutely hated this. Down there with Carbon Rites.

Carbon Rites? Do you mean Blood and Honour? You said you rather liked Carbon Rites in your review earlier.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I did indeed.

Finished Film School.

Spoiler
I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. Liked a lot of the framing of the story. The whole camera crew aspect reminded me of Aftermath, but without the unfortunate familial relation. The bug spray stuff was cool.
[close]

But like with a lot of the shorts, the Aliens do get a bit too steamrolled for my liking. The book leans a bit too heavily towards the Predators. I think the only ones that have made the Aliens a bit more formidable have been Top Secret and Hotel. But still not enough.

Quote from: VN1X on Mar 26, 2022, 07:18:56 PM
So is this something that comes recommended from the hive mind here then or skip altogether?

I'm 11 shorts into 15 and so far I've only disliked 2, so we're leaning in the good direction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed