Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,461 times)

Prez

Quote from: SM on Mar 17, 2021, 12:30:43 AM
Looks like a prime opportunity to do a take on the opening titles of Alien with the planet and rings - but they just thought 'nah, too hard - f**k it'.

Yep

HuDaFuK

The cover I actually quite like for it's minimalism.

But the price :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

That price is an absolute f**king joke. I genuinely cannot believe they have the gall to do this.

Whiskeybrewer

Wow.....Just Wow

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2021, 10:16:58 AM
That price is an absolute f**king joke. I genuinely cannot believe they have the gall to do this.

Indeed. Any good faith I had in them (which was already strained given previous events) I think is gone down the toilet.

Kimarhi

That's just that basic ass looking cover, but I'm sure its meant to be more of a collectors item for future resale.

Regular issue is 3.99. 

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Prez on Mar 16, 2021, 11:14:22 PM
Saw this first posted on the Weyland Yutani Bulletin on FB but holy sh*t ... Marvel taking the absolute piss here.

https://www.tfaw.com/jan210580-alien-1-wraparound-space-variant.html?ff=4&fp=802040&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYrOoLN4reJKT2NTTRKkSz2duJ2D4tcARmCk_nW3RtfVQYOJpd1ttQ0aAr7JEALw_wcB&fbclid=IwAR0TG-CMvi353PiuuN4ipCwC070qdBElRgGmA5M5t2ByBtRZ8v0U8dOo7iI

Retailers have to purchase 200 copies of the combined covers to be able to purchase 1 copy of this.

There is a 500 purchase copy variant by INHYUK LEE VIRGIN variant too. :o

Nukiemorph

I don't follow comics much, so is this abnormal? I imagine they do this sort of thing all the time... Produce a super rare expensive variant for the hardcore collectors. Does this really change anything?

Prez

Prez

Quote from: David's Creation on Mar 17, 2021, 09:23:39 PM
I don't follow comics much, so is this abnormal? I imagine they do this sort of thing all the time... Produce a super rare expensive variant for the hardcore collectors. Does this really change anything?

I've purchased variant covers before and maybe paid a wee bit extra but $200 ... yer nah they can shove that where the sun don't shine. I mean look if anyone wants to spunk that kinda money on this then it's their choice ... I just think it's ludicrous for a single issue at that price.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: David's Creation on Mar 17, 2021, 09:23:39 PM

Well it does drives sales for a title. Marvel / Diamond only make money on the initial order of the comic. Then later reprints,trades and related items. (Also advertisers placing ads)

With high order amounts to purchase variant covers they are much scarcer then the standard cover and it drives the price up for the collector and cost for the retailer.

Prez is right. Refusing to pay is a good way to say no to this practice.

P.S.

The $159.99 price is set by Thing from Another World not Marvel. The cover price is $4.99. But the cost is buying 200 copies at $2.49 to "purchase" 1 copy of this. Oh and UPS fees are not included in the cost. That is a separate fee.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 17, 2021, 09:15:55 AM
The cover I actually quite like for it's minimalism.

It reminds me of Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Prez on Mar 17, 2021, 10:34:07 PM
I've purchased variant covers before and maybe paid a wee bit extra but $200 ... yer nah they can shove that where the sun don't shine. I mean look if anyone wants to spunk that kinda money on this then it's their choice ... I just think it's ludicrous for a single issue at that price.
Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Mar 17, 2021, 10:43:18 PM
Prez is right. Refusing to pay is a good way to say no to this practice.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't pay that for a single issue.

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Mar 17, 2021, 10:43:18 PM
P.S.

The $159.99 price is set by Thing from Another World not Marvel. The cover price is $4.99. But the cost is buying 200 copies at $2.49 to "purchase" 1 copy of this. Oh and UPS fees are not included in the cost. That is a separate fee.
Which brings me back to my question, is this particular thing worth adding to the pile of other reasons to be mad at Marvel Alien? Seems like it's just standard comic bullshit and I don't feel compelled to care.

SuperiorIronman

It's standard comic industry behavior. It doesn't make it right but it's not a unique case to Alien even if it's a bad look given it's 200 dollars for ultimately nothing.

I would throw it on the pile preemptively given that for all this book/brand is doing wrong leading up to its launch if it turns out bad somebody just wasted 200 dollars on what everyone else is only going to spend at most 5.

Kimarhi

I can't really be offended by it either.  If you don't buy that particular issue, then you don't have to worry about it.

BlueMarsalis79

I can, it's pathetic, like everything about this so far, with the exception of the writer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed