Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,384 times)

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2021, 11:41:17 PM
Same! It's really not as hard as some are trying to make out. The basic shapes are all easily memorable, then it's just refining it as you get better. Most of the "bad" renditions from comics are just artist's style.

I guess, you're talking about artists who trace trying to justify their actions but as an arts student myself I think I have the right to say that drawing is indeed damn hard  ;D

Local Trouble

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 04, 2021, 01:03:21 PM
Quote from: judge death on Feb 04, 2021, 12:35:40 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
I remember how much comic book artists struggled with drawing ships, etc. in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.  They were hideous.  The aliens remind me of that.
Shhh they still do shhhh

:laugh:

I have to imagine the thought must be partially daunting to some artists. One one side, it's Yay! I got the gig! And the other side, it's Oh no! How am I going to draw all this sh*t!

I can't bring myself to be mad that the characters and ships in the new Star Wars comics actually look movie-accurate, although I realize that only a philistine would condone tracing to get said results.

As for the aliens, I found the ones in Genocide particularly objectionable.  Dishonorable mention goes to the AR-style turds for looking so out of place in Destroying Angels' Gigeresque setting.

Voodoo Magic

"Dishonorable mention"  :D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 04, 2021, 05:18:30 PM
I guess, you're talking about artists who trace trying to justify their actions but as an arts student myself I think I have the right to say that drawing is indeed damn hard  ;D
Drawing is damn hard, I meant memorizing the look of the Alien isn't.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 05:35:11 PM

As for the aliens, I found the ones in Genocide particularly objectionable.  Dishonorable mention goes to the AR-style turds for looking so out of place in Destroying Angels' Gigeresque setting.
Genocide fits the style.

Could never work out why they went for the AR look in AADA though. They're so well done but such a lame design. The closeup panel near the end that's clearly referenced from the first movie when Brett is attached stands out like a sore thumb.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2021, 07:35:08 PM

I'm not an artist, but I'm still hard-pressed to remember every last detail.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 04, 2021, 01:03:21 PM
Quote from: judge death on Feb 04, 2021, 12:35:40 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
I remember how much comic book artists struggled with drawing ships, etc. in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.  They were hideous.  The aliens remind me of that.
Shhh they still do shhhh

:laugh:

I have to imagine the thought must be partially daunting to some artists. One one side, it's Yay! I got the gig! And the other side, it's Oh no! How am I going to draw all this sh*t!

I can't bring myself to be mad that the characters and ships in the new Star Wars comics actually look movie-accurate, although I realize that only a philistine would condone tracing to get said results.

I'd always assumed using that Alien design was an order from on high due to when it was released, but I'm probably wrong. At least the artist bullshits some extra biomechanical detail on close-ups (I don't mean the one referencing Alien).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2021, 07:35:08 PM

Yeah, I'm with Local. Like memorizing this entire Isolation figure and being able to draw it from every angle, would not be something I would personally qualify as not hard.

Now imagine you're an artist and you've only been commissioned to do a single cover.

BlueMarsalis79

*Big Chap figure with new legs and feet from the knees down.

It's not even an accurate depiction of ol' Stompy from Isolation.

Local Trouble

I can see at least one feature I'd leave out...

BlueMarsalis79

You doth protest too much methinks...

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 04, 2021, 09:10:12 PM
You doth protest too much methinks...

Are you implying he has a secret Skull shrine in his spare closet?

BlueMarsalis79

A "skeleton in the closet" even.

[cancerblack]

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 08:35:44 PM
Who's asking for every last screen accurate detail, though?

Artists apply their style to their interpretation. The key features necessary to make it recognisable as distinctly the capital A Alien are not terribly hard to commit to memory.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

For example, Dead Orbit's praised repeatedly for it's extremely detailed environments and nearly every other aspect, yet the Alien design in it?

Simplicity itself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed