Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 14, 2020, 11:34:10 PM

Author
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) (Read 21,532 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Furiosa's Back: George Miller Discusses the Next 'Mad Max' Movie
The 'Fury Road' director is currently casting a prequel, but Furiosa may look a little different this time around.

QuoteIt's been five years since "Mad Max: Fury Road" came out in theaters, but if the director George Miller has his way, Furiosa will soon ride again.

Just don't expect Charlize Theron to play her.

When we discussed the production of "Fury Road" for a new oral history, Miller confirmed rumors that he is moving ahead with a stand-alone movie about the action film's heroine, who became a fan favorite thanks to Theron's determined portrayal. Still, for those hoping to see the Oscar-winning actress back in the driver's seat, you may have to adjust your expectations: The film is a prequel centered on a young Furiosa, and Miller is searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role.

Miller hopes to make the Furiosa film once he completes the drama "Three Thousand Years of Longing," starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. That film was supposed to begin shooting this spring, but production was delayed when fears of the coronavirus forced an industrywide shutdown.

"So after we finish it, and hopefully everything settles down with the pandemic, we'll see what the world allows us to do with Furiosa," Miller said.

The project has been long in the works. During the decade and a half it took to bring "Fury Road" to the screen, Miller and his co-writer, Nick Lathouris, came up with extensive back stories for every character in the film, from the antagonist Immortan Joe to the comparatively minor Doof Warrior, who wields a flame-spewing guitar.

But it was Furiosa who received the bulk of their attention. Miller sought to answer questions about what the character's life was like in the idyllic "Green Place," why she was plucked from the group of woman warriors known as the Vuvalini, and how she became the hardened warrior we meet by the time "Fury Road" begins.

"It was purely a way of helping Charlize and explaining it to ourselves," Miller said.

Still, they found Furiosa's story so compelling that they decided to write a second screenplay even before a frame of "Fury Road" had been shot. "I got to read it when I was cast," said Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who played Splendid, one of the "Fury Road" wives. "It's genius. I've always wondered if that movie's going to get made."

For years, it seemed that it might not, since Miller was locked in a legal battle with Warner Bros. over unpaid earnings related to "Fury Road." But now that Miller has been given the go-ahead to proceed, he's begun auditions for the lead role, and he admitted that whoever is cast as Furiosa will have significant shoes to fill.

"For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don't think we're nearly there yet," Miller said. "Despite the valiant attempts on 'The Irishman,' I think there's still an uncanny valley. Everyone is on the verge of solving it, particular Japanese video-game designers, but there's still a pretty wide valley, I believe."

Though Theron won't be returning, some crucial members of the "Fury Road" team have signed on. One is the Oscar-winning production designer Colin Gibson, who dropped a tantalizing detail about the prequel's scale: As we discussed all the vehicles he built for "Fury Road" — 88 were seen onscreen, but 135 were made in total — Gibson teased, "The next possible iteration, which is on the table, has even more."

A Furiosa film even bigger than "Fury Road"? That was enough to lure back the cinematographer John Seale, who finished work on "Fury Road" in 2013 and has spent the last several years in a state of semiretirement.

"I've had wonderful opportunities to work after 'Fury Road,' as you can imagine, and I've passed on all of them," Seale said. "But on 'Fury Road,' I told George, 'If anybody else rings, I'm retired. If you ring, we'll have lunch.' And seven years later, he rang."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/movies/mad-max-sequel-furiosa.html#click=https://t.co/xrLd5SQIsD

MAD MAX: FURIOSA Is A Prequel, Won't Star Charlize Theron
And it'll happen after Miller's THREE THOUSAND YEARS OF LONGING

QuoteWhile we're here, here's a bit of information I'm not sure you'll find anywhere else: while MAD MAX: FURIOSA will not include Mad Max Rockatansky, it appears it may be pairing Furiosa with a different male hero, a "breathtakingly handsome" dude with "an angel's face, scarred by a deep forehead wound stitched together with shiny chrome staples". That guy's name? Dementus. If they hire who I've heard they're interested in for that role, y'all will be most excited.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/05/15/mad-max-furiosa-is-a-prequel-wont-star-charlize-theron

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

In this post I am just collecting all of the previous reports, scoops, rumors, etc. from the past few months, dating prior George Miller explicitly confirming this Furiosa project in the above New York Times article, for the sake of completion in this thread:

George Miller Looks Back on 'Mad Max: Fury Road,' and Forward to More Furiosa
Miller is shooting "Three Thousand Years of Longing" before he gets around to more "Mad Max" sequels.

QuoteAre there are two "Fury Road" sequels in the works?

There are two stories, both involving Mad Max, and also a Furiosa story. We're still solving, we've got to play out the Warners thing, it seems to be pretty clear that it's going to happen.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/george-miller-mad-max-fury-road-interview-best-action-movie-of-decade-furiosa-sequel-1202156053/

https://youtu.be/UCyNcPbayNk

The Yahya-Abdul Mateen II rumor originates at the 43:10 timestamp in the above podcast.

Jodie Comer and Richard Madden Top Choices For 'Mad Max: Furiosa' Leading Roles

QuoteThe hunt is on for the lead roles in Warner Bros. and George Miller's 'Mad Max' prequel 'Mad Max: Furiosa'. I've heard Jodie Comer and Richard Madden are both wanted for the film.

Comer would play a young Furiosa, and Madden would play a breathtakingly handsome man with an angel's face that is scarred by a deep forehead wound stitched together with shiny chrome staples.

I can also confirm Jeff Sneider's report that Yayha Abdul-Mateen II is on the wishlist for a role in the film.

'Mad Max: Fury Road,' the most recent installment in the franchise, starred Tom Hardy as Mad Max and introduced Charlize Theron as Furiosa. It is unknown if either will return for this film.

George Miller, writer and director of the previous four films, will be returning to perform those duties on this film as well. Production is aiming to begin at the end of this year in Australia.

No release date has been set as of now.

https://thegww.com/exclusive-jodie-comer-and-richard-madden-top-choices-for-mad-max-furiosa-leading-roles/

Hollywood's Biggest Movies Are Stuck in Limbo as Start Dates Remain Uncertain

QuoteDirector George Miller, for instance, has been meeting with names including Anya Taylor-Joy for his "Furiousa" spin-off, which he hopes to start shooting in 2021.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hollywood-productions-limbo-coronavirus-1203543478/

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Charlize Theron on 'The Old Guard' and Her Heartbreak Over the Furiosa Prequel

QuoteA few weeks ago, I watched Spike Lee's new Netflix film, Da 5 Bloods, which is about four present-day Vietnam veterans. The film also flashes back to their time in the Vietnam War, but instead of using de-aging technology or casting younger actors, the present-day actors just played their younger selves. And it worked out beautifully since Spike established characters (and actors) that immediately ingratiated themselves. Despite my roundabout way of asking, do you mind if I send a print of this film to the great George Miller?

(Laughs.) I would be totally fine with you doing that. I hear you. It's a tough one to swallow. Listen, I fully respect George, if not more so in the aftermath of making Fury Road with him. He's a master, and I wish him nothing but the best. Yeah, it's a little heartbreaking, for sure. I really love that character [Furiosa], and I'm so grateful that I had a small part in creating her. She will forever be someone I think of and reflect on fondly. Obviously, I would love to see that story continue, and if he feels like he has to go about it this way, then I trust him in that manner. I feel like storytelling, on many levels, is really pushing the envelope. We're seeing shows like Chernobyl, a quintessential Russian story, and you have British actors playing all of these historical Russian characters. There's something refreshing about it; the emotional impact of the story isn't lost. But I agree with you; we get so hung up on the smaller details that we forget the thing that we emotionally tap into has nothing to do with that minute thing that we're focusing on.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/charlize-theron-old-guard-heartbreak-furiosa-prequel-1301957

RidleyScott99

RidleyScott99

Charlize Theron is being bitter. I side with Miller: I want a younger actress for the prequel

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, disregarding the very click-baity headline, Charlize seems very supportive of Miller.

That being said, I would be very ok with Miller bringing Charlize in to do some narrarion or framing segments for the film.

SM

SM

"bitter"  :laugh:

This sounds pretty cool.

I was watching the first film the other day and though it'd be cool if Max encounters some old half burn scarred guy at some point and we think it's the Goose - then it's revealed he only has one foot...

RidleyScott99

RidleyScott99

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2020, 03:25:51 AM
"bitter"  :laugh:

This sounds pretty cool.

I was watching the first film the other day and though it'd be cool if Max encounters some old half burn scarred guy at some point and we think it's the Goose - then it's revealed he only has one foot...
I understand her. She is only 45-46. And she is replaced. Men never had that problem. Tom Cruise is The Biggest movie star Ever at 58 years old.

SM

SM

Nonsense.  Men have that same problem if the character is recast to be much younger (like Shatner and Pine playing Captain Kirk).  This isn't about her age.  She's had a constant stream of work for years with more in the pipeline and if they did a sequel to Fury Road with Furiosa she'd be playing the part again.

Nightmare Asylum

There have been some rumblings that, in one of the two Mad Max sequels Miller has written, Furiosa is set to appear. Surely, if that does pan out, that will be Charlize's incarnation of the character.

The recasting here is solely because this is a prequel.

Nightmare Asylum

CHRIS HEMSWORTH EYED FOR MALE LEAD IN MAD MAX: FURIOSA

QuoteThe Illuminerdi has exclusive casting details on the Mad Max prequel centered around Imperator Furiosa, and it seems Warner Brothers is after Chris Hemsworth!

QuoteIN SEARCH FOR A "BREATHTAKINGLY HANDSOME" MALE LEAD
George Miller's Mad Max: Furiosa could be heading into production very soon, as Warner Bros. is trying to lock down the male lead, a character known as Dementus:

[DEMENTUS]
Lead Male (30 – 40)
He is breathtakingly handsome. An angel's face, scarred by a
deep forehead wound stitched together with shiny chrome
staples.

CHRIS HEMSWORTH FITS THE BILL
We have been told that Warner Bros. is very interested Chris Hemsworth for the role, but it's not a done deal. Going from Tom Hardy to Chris Hemsworth is not a bad trade-off however. Based on the description, the Dementus character seems tailor made for the Mad Max universe.

MAD MAX: FURIOSA DETAILS TO DATE
Back in March, word first got out that George Miller was pursuing the Furiosa centered Fury Road spin-off as the next project in the Mad Max universe and that Ana-Taylor Joy was being looked at for the leading role. Miller originally wanted to use similar VFX tech utilized in The Irishman to de-age Theron, but later nixed those plans.

Mad Max: Fury Road was both a critical and commercial hit, earning over $375 million dollars at the worldwide box-office and won six Oscars at the 88th Academy Awards. Potentially adding Chris Hemsworth to the mix paints a pretty bright future for the franchise.

What do you guys think about Chris Hemsworth potentially joining Mad Max: Furiosa? If not Chris, who would you want to see in the role of Dementus? Let us know what you think below!

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/08/24/chris-hemsworth-mad-max-furiosa/

D88M

D88M

If Miller is in charge, count me in, Fury Road is one of the best movies hollywood has made in years, i loved it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

'Mad Max' Spinoff 'Furiosa' A Go At Warners With George Miller Directing & Anya Taylor-Joy In Title Role; Chris Hemsworth & Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Along For Ride

QuoteGeorge Miller told Deadline about Furiosa having a deep backstory in the Mad Max universe, and now we'll finally get to see it: Warner Bros. is in advanced development with Furiosa, a spinoff feature of Miller's multi-Oscar winning blockbuster Mad Max: Fury Road about the renegade character (played in that film by Oscar winner Charlize Theron) who was a notable force in Max's survival in the desert.

The standalone movie will reveal the origins of Furiosa and be played by Glass actress Anya Taylor-Joy in the title role. The movie will track the genesis of Furiosa before she teamed up with Max Rockatansky in Fury Road. Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will also star in a movie that Miller will also direct, co-write and produce with his longtime Oscar-nominated producing partner Doug Mitchell. Miller's own Australian-based Kennedy Miller Mitchell banner will produce.

Miller penned the script with Mad Max: Fury Road co-writer Nico Lathouris. Miller's behind-the-scenes creative team includes such longtime Australian collaborators as production designer Colin Gibson, editor Margaret Sixel, sound mixer Ben Osmo, and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt, each of whom won an Oscar for their work on "Mad Max: Fury Road," as well as first assistant director PJ Voeten and second unit director and stunt coordinator Guy Norris.

Taylor-Joy recently finished filming Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho and is currently filming Robert Eggers' The Northman. She was recently seen as the lead in the romantic comedy Emma, based on the Jane Austen novel.  Her additional features include the sci-fi thrillers Split and Glass from M. Night Shyamalan.  Beginning later this month, she can be seen starring as a chess prodigy in the miniseries The Queen's Gambit.

Hemsworth is star of Marvel's Avengers and Thor franchise; the latest sequel Thor: Love & Thunder filming next March in Australia and in pre-production currently.

Abdul-Mateen II starred as the iconic Super-Villain Black Manta in James Wan's billion-dollar blockbuster Aquaman.  He is currently filming the fourth installment in The Matrix series and can be seen as Bobby Seale in Netflix's The Trial of the Chicago 7, in theaters now and streaming on Friday.  Next up, he will star in Universal/MGM's Candyman, releasing 2021. His other work includes roles in the horror-thriller Us, The Greatest Showman. Abdul-Mateen recently won an Emmy Award for his performance in the acclaimed limited series Watchmen.

Taylor-Joy is repped by CAA, United Agents, and Fred Toczek at Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson. Hemsworth is repped by CAA and attorney Matt Galsor at Greenberg Glusker. Abdul-Mateen II is repped by WME, M88, Ziffren Brittenham LLP, Rogers&CowanPMK.

Mad Max: Fury Road made its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in 2015 and grossed $375.2M at the global box office.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/furiosa-mad-max-spinoff-george-miller-anya-taylor-joy-chris-hemsworth-1234596503/

Shasvre

Shasvre

'Mad Max' Spinoff 'Furiosa' In The Works At Warners With George Miller Directing & Anya Taylor-Joy In Title Role; Chris Hemsworth & Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Along For Ride

https://deadline.com/2020/10/furiosa-mad-max-spinoff-george-miller-anya-taylor-joy-chris-hemsworth-1234596503/

f**k yeah.

Edit: NIGHTMAAAAAAARE!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Shasvre on Oct 13, 2020, 05:28:22 PM
Edit: NIGHTMAAAAAAARE!

:D

Cannot f**king WAIT!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Super solid cast, director and premise. This will be good. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed