Rebellion's position on further AVP support

Started by [REB]Trigger, Jul 21, 2010, 01:19:06 PM

Author
Rebellion's position on further AVP support (Read 72,671 times)

Russ

Rebellion wasn't in the mood to make royalty free tools and SEGA wasn't in the mood to do anything but get maximum yield from maximum turnaround. Look at other licensed titles they launched after that, such as the Marvel ones.

I have to say that I don't know anything about Marvel games (I've only got a few PC games to be honest, but the one I do love is Rome Total War and that had mods galore -- so I thought this was pretty usual. Call of Duty or the other one like it has (apparently) loads of Alien and Predator skins I'm told as well.

That's a real shame, it would be great if people could add to the adventures - and there's plenty of voice material out there they could use as well.

I don't know (and maybe someone on here could tell me) if you got Call of Duty and applied the Aliens mods, what happens? Are these new campaigns or are you still shooting nazis or terrorists but they look like aliens (or predators)?

skull-splitter

Mod-support is a rare thing to be honest these days, save for some titles that thankfully allow tinkering with content (Skyrim most notably), all in favor for DLC, which frankly is making them more money.

Russ

There is that, and it is all about the money.

It's a real shame though, because I remember the RTW crowd did some amazing stuff - if you could imagine it, they'd done it. Some really creative people with these amazing programming and rendering (?) and 3D modelling skills.

Le Celticant

Quote from: skull-splitter on Oct 13, 2014, 11:44:54 AM
Mod-support is a rare thing to be honest these days, save for some titles that thankfully allow tinkering with content (Skyrim most notably), all in favor for DLC, which frankly is making them more money.

Imagine you could pay 5 to 10$ the SDK and in order to play modified content you had to pay for it.
It's a big bet but I'm sure everyone would buy it.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 15, 2014, 10:05:57 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Oct 13, 2014, 11:44:54 AM

Imagine you could pay 5 to 10$ the SDK and in order to play modified content you had to pay for it.
It's a big bet but I'm sure everyone would buy it.
It's one way to go for sure, thing is that most people shrug and buy the DLC anyway.

JokersWarPig

I actually don't mind DLC all too much, L4D/L4D2 did it and made some great campaigns, but they also give the modding community a ton of freedom.

Sadly in most cases mods tend to be better than the actual product, a good example of this is Project Reality for BF2. If AVP2010 or ACM had allowed for that even half the amount of modding freedom L4D or BF2 had there would be some quality content out there

Inverse Effect

Rebellion are the only devs i trust with the Brand tbh. AVP Gold is one of my favorite games

skull-splitter

Quote from: Guts on Nov 13, 2014, 08:04:17 PM
Rebellion are the only devs i trust with the Brand tbh. AVP Gold is one of my favorite games
Both 99/Gold and 10 are fundamentally flawed as games. 99 is little more than a glorified tech demo which totally lacked polish. 10 just has terrible gameplay and fails to maximize potential, largely because it was pushed forward by SEGA to cover up for the delay of ACM. Oh, irony...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jan 05, 2015, 11:28:59 PM
99 is little more than a glorified tech demo which totally lacked polish.

What makes you say that?

Darkblade 25

So that means their are going to be patches to the game?
\

Corporal Hicks

No. Hasn't been for sometime and wont be again.

Darkblade 25

oh I never knew that.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 06, 2015, 08:55:54 AM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Jan 05, 2015, 11:28:59 PM
99 is little more than a glorified tech demo which totally lacked polish.

What makes you say that?
Other games of that era being far better?

Vertigo

Not really, it's basically just Half-Life that crapped on everyone's parade. The lack of storyline and ridiculous speed are par for the course in '90s shooters, and it has more impressive AI and bigger, less linear levels than you saw in contemporaries.

Graphics-wise it was a contender too. Lighting effects were good (not quite up with Unreal, but nothing else was either), textures were photo-mapped, and it had some of the highest-poly models around.

skull-splitter

However they were node based and neither the modelling or the textures did them any good. It was simply put the best we had, but although it was reasonable, Rebellion's attempts both felt rather shallow compared to some other games, as if they were published way before it hit maturity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed