Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 272,187 times)

Kailem

Ultramorph

It's coming out March 2021, per CBR.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-alien-series-early-2021/

Spoiler
QuoteWriter Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Empyre: Captain America) and artist Salvador Larroca (Doctor Doom) collaborate on Alien #1 launching in March 2021. The comic will feature new and classic characters from Earth and beyond, including a Weyland-Yutani mercenary named Gabriel Cruz. The Alien #1 description says Cruz "battles a deadly new breed of xenomorph with the survival of his child hanging in the balance."
[close]

Corporal Hicks

judge death

Just from the look and what they describe I hear my inner alarm turned on:
Battling a new breed of xenomorph, and the inner jaw is bendable...... OK have to see how they explain this but my alarm is going off.

bobby brown

I'm all for new stuff. I'm a bit bored.

That doesn't mean I will like whatever tough. I loathed fire and stone.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Phillip Kennedy Johnson is a good choice for this one. Having a Marvel Zombies writer on from the go is a good choice for those with that worry about it being tamed down. Not to be that guy either, and hoping we don't have another Greg Land situation here but having looked up Salvador, he's had some criticism in the past about tracing.

From Wikipedia: "James Whitbrook, reviewing the "Ashes of Jedha" storyline in Marvel Comics' Star Wars comics series for Kotaku, took issue with what he felt was Larroca's heavy reliance on tracing stills from Star Wars films when rendering the characters, which imbued the characters' faces with an "awkward hyperrealism" that he felt evoked the effect of the Uncanny Valley. While Whitbrook did not observe this problem in his work on other Star Wars arcs, and praised Larroca's work in rendering large-scale elements such as starships or planets, he felt that in many closeups of the three main characters in "Jedha," the illustrations too closely mirrored the images from the films, often from scenes in which the actors' facial expressions did not match the tone or dialogue of the characters in the comic.[5] Charlie Hall, reviewing the same storyline for Polygon, expressed the same viewpoint, and like Whitbrook, compared these renditions to the work of Angel Unzueta and Arif Prianto on the Poe Dameron series, which they felt rendered the characters to sufficiently resemble or recognizably evoke the actors who played them, without exhibiting the sense that they were "pasted" from reference materials.[6] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Larroca#Criticism

Quote from: judge death on Dec 07, 2020, 07:43:52 PM
Just from the look and what they describe I hear my inner alarm turned on:
Battling a new breed of xenomorph, and the inner jaw is bendable...... OK have to see how they explain this but my alarm is going off.

That may just be artistic license. It's not the first time I've seen an artist rendition with the Alien having a bendy tongue. Curious to see it sounds like they're going all in on the DNA reflex straight away.

Nukiemorph

Glad to see them using the title "Alien" instead of "Aliens".

Kailem

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 07, 2020, 07:57:33 PMNot to be that guy either, and hoping we don't have another Greg Land situation here but having looked up Salvador, he's had some criticism in the past about tracing.

Oh yeah, modern-day Larocca is well known for his tracing. The difference between him and Greg Land though is that, as far as I'm aware, when he does it he only traces stills/screencaps, not other artists' work.

Nightmare Asylum

So from what I'm gathering here, this seems like it is going to be an ongoing series, rather than a miniseries like we've been used to all all of Dark Horse's various runs.

Miguel

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 07, 2020, 07:59:06 PM
Glad to see them using the title "Alien" instead of "Aliens".

Same here.

Besides, on the one hand I'm worried about what approach Marvel will give to the franchise, but on the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing new things.

SM

SM

That inner jaw...  ugh...

Otherwise bring it on.  :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1336023900434665482

It strikes me as odd that for their very first run, they're using a "Deadly New Breed of Xenomorph." You'd think, right off the bat, they'd want to do something with a more traditional Alien to ease in their run.

426Buddy

Yeah I don't like the sound of new breed but ill give it a shot.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 07, 2020, 09:09:56 PM
Yeah I don't like the sound of new breed but ill give it a shot.

I'm not opposed to a mutation or whatever, Dark Horse had been pumping stuff out like that for decades for better or worse (and that is often why I cite Alien: Resurrection as being a Dark Horse comic come to life), but it just kind of baffles me that they want that to be the very first thing of theirs that people read. Especially with this being an ongoing, you'd think they'd be playing it a bit safer by having the first six issues would play out like a traditional Alien(s) story and then at the end of issue six tease this mutant thing to run through the next arc in issues 7-12.

SuperiorIronman

New breed could either mean new batch or it's like Alien 3 and we're introduced to a new variant. We'd have categorized it as a new variant I'm sure regardless.

Salvador Larroca is a bold choice following the shit show with Greg Land. I'm not 100% on that choice but he was fine on Doctor Doom as of late so we might be alright with him on Alien. Still, not a good look with Alien with two big names on it with issues of tracing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed