Predator Hunting Grounds (2020) by Illfonic - PS4 and PC

Started by molasar, May 09, 2019, 10:13:55 PM

Author
Predator Hunting Grounds (2020) by Illfonic - PS4 and PC (Read 46,921 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 11, 2019, 02:19:43 PM
Great news.

After The Predator, I didn't think we would get a stand-alone Predator game anytime soon.

Considering The Predator was understandably trashed across social media by critics and fans alike, the $160 Million it still grossed worldwide is a huge sucess to me, especially considering other franchise relaunches like The Thing and Conan received deathblows at $27M and $48M total worldwide. Fortunately, even with perceived crap, there's still life yet to the Yautja!

QuoteI got a lot of short time fun out of the F13 game and I think the concept could work well for the Predator. If they fix the long term playability issues and smoothen out the sloppy parts that dragged the F13 one down, this could be a really fun game.

This time it's not a Kickstarter funded game so hopefully they'll get more time to beta it. Hopefully they will have more time to include bells and whistles out of the box like single player campaign and not plan solo as a dlc - which got squashed when they lost the lawsuit. But yeah, this concept works great for Predator. The potential for something fantastic is there!  :)

SuperiorIronman

I think Predator is far easier to translate to this kind of game because the concept allows more variety than Jason did. The amount of weapons, the kinds of gadgets and the nature of the game's conflict make a match a bit more involved than simply fleeing Jason (which wouldn't work at all with Predator).

I kind of hope that the self-destruct is in this game as an added threat to the player. That even if you take the Predator down, you gotta double tap him else you got to flee the explosion. It would stop players from heading straight to the Predator since even if somebody gets lucky if they don't get the final blow they doom the whole match.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 10, 2019, 06:50:00 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on May 10, 2019, 06:25:22 PM
Oh hell yeah, Predator needed another solo game for quite a while. I'm happy to hear this, but a PS exclusive? That's a pass for me then right of the bat, I'm a PC dude, never had and probably never will have a console. This better come out on PC if they want a decent player base.

I haven't tried it myself but PS NOW is available on PC.

Playstation Now on PC
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-now/ps-now-on-pc/

You'll have to purchase a USB controller and a PS Now subscription but then you'll be able to play PlayStation Exclusive Games. Since Predator will be an exclusive, I imagine it will be available through there.

Didn't know about this! Thanks. Not happy about paying a subscription, I really hope this isn't an exclusive...

I'm intrigued by the premise of the game, very simple but has a lot of potential. If it's an exclusive it'll have to be a really great game to get me involved.

Voodoo Magic

Happy to help. Let's hope it lives up to its potential!

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 11, 2019, 02:59:36 PM
I think Predator is far easier to translate to this kind of game because the concept allows more variety than Jason did. The amount of weapons, the kinds of gadgets and the nature of the game's conflict make a match a bit more involved than simply fleeing Jason (which wouldn't work at all with Predator).

I kind of hope that the self-destruct is in this game as an added threat to the player. That even if you take the Predator down, you gotta double tap him else you got to flee the explosion. It would stop players from heading straight to the Predator since even if somebody gets lucky if they don't get the final blow they doom the whole match.

I didn't even think of the self destruct! That would really add a wild dynamic to the game!

The Kurgan

Would be cool if the humans would be able to damage the predator's gear. So that they could weaken an careless predator player by destorying his caster or damaging his cloaking device or redering the self destruct useless.

They could also have an injured predator leave a bloodtrail until he patches himself up.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 11, 2019, 03:58:57 PM
Would be cool if the humans would be able to damage the predator's gear. So that they could weaken an careless predator player by destorying his caster or damaging his cloaking device or redering the self destruct useless.

They could also have an injured predator leave a bloodtrail until he patches himself up.

I like that. People constantly forget that the backpack isn't something the shoulder cannon just sits on or thinks it's some sort of big battery, it's actually the medical kit.

What would be cool about a bleeding mechanic is that on a nighttime map it would be critical for a Predator to not get hit since it would tell the humans immediately the Predator was shot, but if it took enough damage to bleed it could lead the humans right to the Predator. Maybe if the player loses too much health the healing takes longer and because it seems the medical instruments can cause the Predator to roar, maybe that would keep the Predators from being too active. A direct assault going badly can alert everybody to a low-health Predator.

Anybody consider armor? Because the Predators have been heavier geared before and with more armor it could affect movement. So while Predator armor could have benefits like increased protection, the armor could weigh the Predator down and affect movement speed or the clanking of the armor could alert nearby human players.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 11, 2019, 03:58:57 PM

Completely agree! All good ideas there, I especially like the bloodtrail. Even more so with Ironman's idea of the nightmare map...that'd be amazing.

Voodoo Magic

They would have to add the mud aspect right, so a soldier can go unseen in the Predator's thermal vision? It would probably need a time limit mechanic where it dries out after a minute or two.

Corporal Hicks

Oh, that'd be awesome as well! Some good ideas coming here!

acrediblesource

The only way this could survive is if it is like Friday the 13th game. Totally branded Predator styles and cinematics/ Cinematography otherwise it will turn out like a pile of garbage

molasar

molasar

IMO, a long term success of this game will mainly depend on flow and mechanics of game play. Everything else, no matter how good, is going to get old pretty quickly and it already has a kind of strong competitor announced on the same day which is Ghost Recon: Breakpoint that comes out on October 4, 2019.
All cool cinematics/cinematography may work in the first run for single player type of game which this one is not but P1+P2 films are still going to beat them easily.

Voodoo Magic

"Our motto at IllFonic is "Gameplay over everything" and we believe that will be evident the moment players enter the hunting grounds"

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05/09/predator-hunting-grounds-revealed-during-state-of-play/

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 11, 2019, 09:01:07 PM
"Our motto at IllFonic is "Gameplay over everything" and we believe that will be evident the moment players enter the hunting grounds"

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05/09/predator-hunting-grounds-revealed-during-state-of-play/
Hopefully they take it very seriously and stick to it. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. No disappointment solution.

Komenja

I really like the mud and bloodtrail ideas you guys got, makes me hope they incorporate stuff like that! So if we're spitballing ideas, what would y'all think about the implementation of Vocal Mimicry? I was talking a co-worker about this game yesterday and we came up with a few ideas for how it could work, depending on if voice chat exists in this game, and in what form.

1, Voice Commands: If the game has a voice command system (Killing Floor 2 and EDF 4.1 for some PS4 examples) where a radial menu can have your character say things like "Follow me!" "Over here!" "Run for it!" and other helpful suggestions to your team mates, what if the Predator could use vocal mimicry to issue the same commands in order to lure nearby enemy players into traps and ambushes?

2, True voice chat and Proximity Chat: In Halo 2 and 3, only players on your team could hear your voice at all times while in-game (except for pre-game lobbies, where everyone can communicate freely). However, there was a feature called Proximity Chat that let you and enemy players hear each other if you were close enough. If Hunting Grounds had this feature, perhaps Vocal Mimicry could allow the Predator player to record the actual dialogue being spoken between team mates that he can overhear while stalking them nearby, and throw it back at them (with the distortion effect applied) as a taunt mechanic? The obvious downside is, given the usual vulgarity and immaturity of online gaming, the Predator player could inadvertently mimic some really questionable or offensive stuff.

3, Just a Taunt: Pretty much just relegating it a taunt button that randomly spits out one of the iconic mimicry lines from the films ("Anytime...", "Want some candy?", etc) or some of the iconic roars and laughs. Maybe even Pussyface's "Motherf**ker!" and "Shit happens."  :D

SuperiorIronman

I think mimicking the player might get into some weird legal territory so I can't see that working. However I can imagine a command menu being utilized and the Predator being able to mimic those commands or maybe even mimicking the other team to catch the players off guard.

I can also imagine the Predator having different taunts based on the films.

Though as of right now we only know of three weapons and gadgets;
Wrist blades
Plasmacaster (it got name dropped)
and one vision mode likely the typical thermal vision.

While the outline is a bit distorted, the Predator design is most likely Jungle Hunter seeing as it got used in Ghost Recon and Mortal Kombat. It likely is since on the wristblade gauntlet the distortion curves towards the back like JH's.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed