AVP the Original Comic Series 30th Anniversary

Started by Engineer, Aug 24, 2019, 02:57:39 PM

Author
AVP the Original Comic Series 30th Anniversary (Read 24,343 times)

Kimarhi

At one time the best selling independent comic of all time.

Katanu

So, when is this one coming out? Amazon says June 16, Dark Horse July 1.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 27, 2019, 09:54:38 AM
[...]
They've fiddled with the name of the comic franchise a few times. They started out using vs., then it went to versus, on a few series it was even simply Aliens/Predator...
[...]

yeah, regarding that, I've been cooking up something kinda big on that particular front... stay tuned.
(but not too tuned, its going to be super esoteric and niche)

Russ840

Quote from: Katanu on Jun 06, 2020, 06:32:40 PM
So, when is this one coming out? Amazon says June 16, Dark Horse July 1.

I'd say go by the Dark Horse date.  They are the publisher and most likely to be accurate.

Russ840

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Aliens_Vs_Predator_The_Original_Comics_S.html?id=robnDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Preview for the collection.  Shame to see that its the trade recolour and no the originals colours and black & whites. 

Collects the expected, AVP 0-4 and the Dark Horse Presents Anniversary issues AvP content.

Also includes War Part 1

Gallery and layout are included and a forward by Phil Norwood.

426Buddy

Going to be a hard pass for me. I wanted a new recoloring but would have been alright with the original colors. But this? What a bummer.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Surely if it's the "Original" series it should be the original colours? The anniversary reissue of Aliens: Book One was in the original black and white, after all.

Also seems bizarre that they'd include a bit of War and not all of it. I'm guessing it's the prologue that was originally published as AVP 2 and later collected as War #0?

SiL

I've only seen the collected version. What were the original colours like?

Corporal Hicks

Monika Livingston did the original colours for the series. A far better effort than her work on Female War. I actually preferred her original colour work. And completely agree with everyone above. With it being titled Original, I would have expected the original like they did with the Alien series. Disappointed there.

I don't have the best scans of the original but...

SiL

Oh, that is nice!

Russ840

Russ840

Yeah. Im disappointed.

Considering that, for the second Aliens Vol, Dark Horse didn't include the extra page for Book 2 that was featured in the Nightmare Asylum release because it was not in the original comics, you would have thought they would have been consistent with the 'Original Comics Series' theme here.

Also, I'm concerned that we won't be getting the bonus content from the old paperback releases. That material should definitely been in here.

Katanu

Well, I'll buy it anyway cause I'm a sucker for hardcovers. And I really enjoy the original AvP comic.

Russ840

So I got my copy of this and i must say that it is the most disappointing of the 'Original Comics Series' so far.

The build is great but the first problem I have is that the print is almost blurred. I compared it to my original paperback copy and the print is so much sharper in that edition. It's like the ink has bleed on the pages in the new Hardcover. 

Couple this with the fact that this edition uses the recolouring that the original trade was given, as opposed to the original colours from the single issues.  This is not the best way to view the series' artwork.

Next problem I have with this is that it is really light on extra material. We get a nice forward by Phil Norwood, which is great, and some original layouts in the back. This is all new to me. Cool. But all of the extra material from the original trade is not here. That content was awesome to have and would have been an easy addition to the collection. There was some great insight in the afterword of that collection.   We don't even get an afterword this time.

We don't get a very inclusive cover gallery either. Another disappointment.   

Being that this collection is suppose to be 30th anniversary celebration, it is quiet a poor effort. This is the first time I have actually been disappointed with Dark Horse when it come to their collections.  It feels like a cheap cash grab to me.

Shame.

426Buddy

That sucks, I ordered it after I heard tbe news about DH.

Russ840

Also excludes the map of Prosperity Wells and the opening description of the location. I.e population, function and what not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed