Aliens comics to recommend?

Started by judge death, Jul 18, 2020, 09:55:29 AM

Author
Aliens comics to recommend? (Read 2,335 times)

judge death

judge death

As Dark horse is losing the license I have come to the conclusion I better get the aliens comics that I want to have asap.
I just wonder if people here can recommend me to alien comics that I might like that im unaware of?

The aliens comics I have and love:
Aliens labyrinth
Earth war
Female war
Geonicide
Defiance 1-2

Have but not too much a fan of:
Alien vs predator fire and stone
Alien vs predator life and death
The first alien vs predator comic
Aliens apockalypse the destroying angels

I prefer the more graphical and realistic style art than for example glass corridors cover, simplified art or weird/artsy art isnt my thing: the more realistic the better, plus if the story is mature and dark and brooding and depressing style.
On my own list of comics to get these are high up:
Aliens resistance
Aliens rescue
Aliens dust to dust
Aliens dead orbit

but these are newer comics so is more checking here to get advice on older ones that I have missed and maybe even newer ones I´ve missed?
One I havent found out the name of but is to me interesting is one alien vs predator where the queen alien even help the heroes against some machines or something, found that interesting but no idea what the name of it is :P

Nightmare Asylum

From my limited experience with the comics, my favorites are:

Alien: The Illustrated Story
Aliens: Salvation
Aliens: Sacrifice
Aliens: Inhuman Condition
Aliens: Dead Orbit

Defiance's early issues are worth it for Tristan Jones' art, but I don't particularly care for the writing. The same can be said for Denis Beauvais' work on Nightmare Asylum/Book 2.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 18, 2020, 04:42:10 PM

Defiance's early issues are worth it for Tristan Jones' art, but I don't particularly care for the writing. The same can be said for Denis Beauvais' work on Nightmare Asylum/Book 2.

Can't recommend these three enough

Sacrifice gives me the taste of what Ward's Alien 3 could've been. Inhuman Condition's story is f**ked up but in a great way (it has Sam Keith artwork so be careful with that one). Dead Orbit is just for its artwork

judge death

judge death

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2020, 09:30:46 PM

Sacrifice gives me the taste of what Ward's Alien 3 could've been. Inhuman Condition's story is f**ked up but in a great way (it has Sam Keith artwork so be careful with that one). Dead Orbit is just for its artwork
Thanks, will have a look into these then, and if inhuman condition is as insane as you make it sound like, then I will hopefully love it :P

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: judge death on Jul 18, 2020, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2020, 09:30:46 PM

Thanks, will have a look into these then, and if inhuman condition is as insane as you make it sound like, then I will hopefully love it :P

Of the bunch I listed, Inhuman Condition is my favorite.

Kradan

Kradan

Glad to know. Sacrifice is my fav but I'll put Inhuman Condition on the second place

Darkseed

Darkseed

Guys I need some help here, would you advise me to get the alien omnibus 1 or the essentials volume? I found both but I have no Idea which one to get.

Nightmare Asylum

If I'm not mistaken, the Essentials version uses the proper Hicks/Newt names whereas the Omnibus altered them to Wilks/Billie, so I would go with the Essentials.

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2020, 09:46:38 PM
Glad to know. Sacrifice is my fav but I'll put Inhuman Condition on the second place

I think Sacrifice is probably my second favorite, so definitely in good company. :D

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Darkseed on Jul 19, 2020, 03:16:18 AM
Guys I need some help here, would you advise me to get the alien omnibus 1 or the essentials volume? I found both but I have no Idea which one to get.

Get the essentials, they are higher quality and the omnibus is a smaller format.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Darkseed on Jul 19, 2020, 03:16:18 AM

Funny you brought this up as I was deciding which route to go as well.

I was thinking of getting the Essentials Vol.1 but read they cancelled the second volume. Would that mean I'd have to get the graphic novels of Omnibus 2-6 separately?

I found that the Omnibus Graphic Novels are higher in price and if I'm going to get them all, I'd rather them all be the same you know? Just don't know if it really matters or not...

Nightmare Asylum

Odds are, this stuff is all going to get reprinted (along with a ton of other material) as part of Marvel's Epic Collection down the line. They do it with a ton of their older in-house stuff, but they've also been doing it with old "Legends" Dark Horse Star Wars material since acquiring that license.

FatStu

FatStu

I just get the omnibus editions on kindle/comixology. They're pretty reasonably priced.

SM

SM

Some are.  Some are weirdly expensive as well.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd get all of em.  Piece of Americana that won't be around for too much longer.

I've found that even the bad ones have decent things in them.  For instance even a series like DOTS lays down a substantial amount of groundwork in its early issues that could've been interesting, before throwing it all away toward the later issues.  And Colonial Marines has the main character go full ruthless snake asshole about halfway through that wasn't a trend when it was released.

FatStu

FatStu

Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2020, 11:33:37 PM
Some are.  Some are weirdly expensive as well.

Pretty cheap on Kindle. And some of the novels are free on Kindle Unlimited

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed