Sales

Started by PRI. HUDSON, Oct 22, 2014, 02:00:25 AM

Author
Sales (Read 57,994 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Seriously! How old was the original cast 35 YEARS PRIOR! I'm just happy the original cast was still alive to lend their voices over (except for Ash, he didn't return for some reason, if I recall correctly).

Thanks Hicks, for finding the article about biehn for me! And with that article in mind, sigorney mentioned in an interview that she was excited about A:I, and had fun working on it and returning to the alien franchise for the first time since resurrection. Completely different experience than what Michael biehn described! I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure A:I is a big part of why sigorney was interested in returning for alien 5. It was after A:I that she started talking about "finishing Ripley's story."

I don't know, maybe you are just trolling, or maybe survival-horror just isn't your type of game. The vast majority agrees that A:I was a far superior game in every aspect; the sales show A:I was a bigger hit; creative assembly isn't in court for false advertising, and are instead looking to make a sequel; sigorney and Ridley Scott both praised the game and it seems they are genuinely excited about the alien franchise again; and the game received dozens of accolades and awards (runner up or nominee for dozens more, but I don't think A:CM was ever considered for an award); and ultimately, I haven't seen anybody ripping apart the story for having huge continuity errors/plot holes the way A:CM was. So I really don't understand where the support for A:CM is coming from at all...

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Great summary, Engineer; well put.

And just a tiny footnote:

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2015, 06:53:00 PM
I'm just happy the original cast was still alive to lend their voices over (except for Ash, he didn't return for some reason, if I recall correctly).

Ian Holm is kind of notorious for not doing things like this. He even, in the words of Charles de Lauzirika, "politely declined" (through his agent) to be interviewed for the Anthology/Quadrilogy sets.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 26, 2015, 09:53:15 PM
Great summary, Engineer; well put.

And just a tiny footnote:

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2015, 06:53:00 PM
I'm just happy the original cast was still alive to lend their voices over (except for Ash, he didn't return for some reason, if I recall correctly).

Ian Holm is kind of notorious for not doing things like this. He even, in the words of Charles de Lauzirika, "politely declined" (through his agent) to be interviewed for the Anthology/Quadrilogy sets.
Ian holm! That's his name!! Yes, I've heard that about him... It's kind of a shame really...

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2015, 10:13:06 PMIan holm! That's his name!!

AKA Bilbo Baggins, Father Cornelius, and lots of other awesome things (check out The Sweet Hereafter!).

Engineer

Engineer

Ya know, now that I'm thinking about it, in my opinion A:I may just be the best thing to happen for the alien franchise since the first two films released, not just because of the game CA delivered, but because of all the excitement and inspiration it spurred in sigorney and Ridley Scott (both of whom are involved in alien 5; Ridley as a producer, right?). I vaguely remember hearing that Ridleys 'prometheus 2' will be much more alien-esque than he was willing to go with 'Prometheus' because he realizes now that the alien can still be scary as hell!

Just out of curiosity, how many others agree with me? CelticPred, I think we all know your answer already, lol ;-)

I really do hope CA will get to make a sequel. Guns-blazing or hide-n-seek (or a little of both) wouldn't matter to me. But I still want to see an A:I style game as newt before the marines arrive! I know a lot of people think that's a bad idea, but I still like it! :-)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on May 26, 2015, 10:13:06 PMIan holm!

That's Sir Ian Holm, to you :)

He's a great actor. His shit-eating grin to Ripley and the others after he's told them they're f*cked is one of my favourite moments in Alien.

Doggo33

Doggo33

Mr. Clemens -
"I just don't get what you even want here, man. Who could have even dreamed that they'd be able to assemble five of the original castmembers, and that you'd be able to play with/as the original crew? And you're complaining that they sound older? Tired? I'm not sure if you remember the film, but they weren't all exactly 'Dan Castellaneta' in that, either."

- Just because what they did seems good in theory, doesn't mean it turned out as such. Whether it's good in theory or not, the voices weren't so great, in my opinion. And I did state "Obviously the actors are older now", so obviously I am aware of that. That doesn't change the fact that it was off-putting when playing.

"And since Engineer pointed out how great Sigourney's performance was, you've backtracked on that."

- No, not at all. One performance was very good, yes, and I've agreed with that. I'm talking about the others.

"Pretty sure you're just trollin' at this point."

- You can think what you want. Although it would be more logical to assume that it's possible that some people don't agree with you.

Engineer -
"I don't know, maybe you are just trolling, or maybe survival-horror just isn't your type of game."

- A troll wouldn't have put this much time into this and wouldn't have been as logical (both sides are logical).
Secondly, survival horror isn't really my type of game, but neither is first-person shooter. When a game is 'Alien' or 'Predator' related though, I can enjoy it very much.

"The vast majority agrees that A:I was a far superior game in every aspect; the sales show A:I was a bigger hit; creative assembly isn't in court for false advertising, and are instead looking to make a sequel; sigorney and Ridley Scott both praised the game and it seems they are genuinely excited about the alien franchise again; and the game received dozens of accolades and awards (runner up or nominee for dozens more, but I don't think A:CM was ever considered for an award); and ultimately, I haven't seen anybody ripping apart the story for having huge continuity errors/plot holes the way A:CM was. So I really don't understand where the support for A:CM is coming from at all."

- I can't explain why I enjoy 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' any more than I have.
As for success, that just shows how popular something is. So obviously it does something right to please many people. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have issues that others query.

Ridley Scott, I've lost virtually all respect for due to 'Prometheus'. He didn't write it so I give him some credit, but obviously he was very involved.

Relevantly,
"Ridley Scott (...involved in alien 5; Ridley as a producer, right?). I vaguely remember hearing that Ridleys 'prometheus 2' will be much more alien-esque than he was willing to go with 'Prometheus' because he realizes now that the alien can still be scary as hell!"

- I don't know if Ridley Scott is producing 'Alien 5'. I just checked his wikepedia and a couple of 'Alien 5' News sites but can't see anything on it.
Secondly, 'Prometheus 2' will supposedly not including the Alien but will have new species (seems somewhat illogical to me given the ending of 'Prometheus' but there you go). The less connected the franchises are the better though.

Engineer

Engineer

I'm sorry man, but when you say a troll wouldn't have been as logical, I laughed. You have not been very logical up to this point. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but the most illogical thing you've done so far is pick an Internet squabble (or debate, depending on who you ask) about A:CM on a forum which is supposed to be about A:I and its sales. Sure, A:CM has come up prior on this forum, but it's never been the focus until you brought it up. That's the kind of thing trolls do! Just sayin.

And A:I didn't turn out good "in theory," it turned out great which is a fact supported by sales, popular opinion, and merits. Again you are entitled to your opinion, But as part of the minority, it really does make you sound illogical and more troll-ish when you say things like "Just because what they did seems good in theory, doesn't mean it turned out as such." It was a theory before release; now it's a bonfide success because the majority says so. Your opinion being to the contrary doesn't negate the fact that A:I is indeed much more successful than A:CM.

Do better research: Ridley Scott is producing alien 5. http://deadline.com/2015/02/alien-neil-blomkamp-directing-fox-movie-1201376439/

And about prometheus. Not my favorite film. But that doesn't mean it can't still do the alien franchise justice. Prometheus has always been about something new and different than the alien. Ridley was trying to distance himself from alien with the first movie because the alien had become more of a "Disney character" meaning he didn't think it was scary anymore. This time, however, maybe prometheus will be a much better film (time will tell) because Ridley is not making it about "gods and dragons and shit." It will indeed have a new species, but it's going to be more alien-esque in general (or, more alien-like/inspired than prometheus was originally). I never said it was going to be about an 'alien,' or have an 'alien' in it, but if Ridley IS making a prometheus 2, I would prefer if it was something more along the lines of what 'alien' was, rather than what the first prometheus was, which is exactly what Ridely is doing!!
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Prometheus-2-Contain-An-Entirely-Species-Alien-68304.html

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I believe a Brian Cox quote would be applicable here.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Actor or astronomer? :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The astronomer.  :)

Jarac

Jarac

Spot on Engineer! Even if A:I isn't your style of game, it SUCCEEDED IN WHAT IT SET OUT TO DO and is PRAISED because of it. You cannot say this for A:CM, which was a clusterf**k and something not even Shitbox wants to acknowledge exists! A:I helped pull this franchise from the brink after A:CM tried its damned hardest to put it in the ground and piss on the grave! It showed that the Alien could be scary again, and that a lot of people still care for this franchise. It was what this franchise NEEDED and DESERVED.

Engineer

Engineer

How's this one?

"The problem with today's world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!"
-Brian Cox, the astronomer

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's the one I was thinking of.

Doggo33

Doggo33

Engineer -
"I'm sorry man, but when you say a troll wouldn't have been as logical, I laughed. You have not been very logical up to this point. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but the most illogical thing you've done so far is pick an Internet squabble (or debate, depending on who you ask) about A:CM on a forum which is supposed to be about A:I and its sales. Sure, A:CM has come up prior on this forum, but it's never been the focus until you brought it up. That's the kind of thing trolls do! Just sayin."

- Ok, firstly, clearly you don't know what I mean by logical. I can't be bothered to go into it but the point is that trolls are really easy to spot (I find, at least), and I'm clearly not acting like a troll.
Also, I didn't pick a fight. I stated an opinion. I didn't expect anyone to reply to it. My post was about 'Alien: Isolation' and what I dislike about it. I just brought up 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' as a comparison.

"And A:I didn't turn out good "in theory," it turned out great which is a fact supported by sales, popular opinion, and merits..."

- I'm talking about having the cast of 'Alien'. As in, it sounds like a great idea in theory, but it didn't turn out so well. I'm not talking about the game overall.

"It was a theory before release; now it's a bonfide success because the majority says so. Your opinion being to the contrary doesn't negate the fact that A:I is indeed much more successful than A:CM."

- Again I'm talking about the voices of the cast of 'Alien'. But even if I were talking about the whole game, I'm stating my opinion. I'm not saying it isn't successful. Evidently people love the game. I'm explaining my personal opinion though.

"Do better research"

- Okay, I said "I don't know if..." I didn't say, he isn't. Thanks for the link but you don't need to be a dick about it.

"And about prometheus. Not my favorite film. But that doesn't mean it can't still do the alien franchise justice."

- It turns 'Alien' into 'Science Experiment'/'Bio-Weapon'. That to me takes away virtually all fear. As far as I'm concerned, the alien is its own species.
As its own film, 'Prometheus' is decent. It's visually really good. The sets are great, the CGI's good. The practical effects are good. The story itself is a complete mess. But it's watchable for its visuals. So as its own film I don't hate it. But in reference to the 'Alien' franchise, I do.

With 'Prometheus 2', obviously it's not going to happen, but I'd like it if a lot of that story were explained. Lots of things happen that should have explanations but don't. So leaving it will potentially make a better second movie. But I'd prefer it if I thought more of the first.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed