Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,783 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 19, 2019, 04:24:53 PM
Posted this over on Facebook. I had the idea that maybe this is set way after Rage War and this planet is one of the distant colonies that got cut off when they shut down the drop holes. Maybe it just reverted over time as resources ran out and they couldn't get resupplied.

You don't revert to ye olde castles and mediaeval living standards just because you get cut off. You keep with the technology you already have and advance it where you are able to. Especially medical expertise/technology.

It'll probably just be about an ET species, except you won't realise it until the author makes that clear, right at the end. Wouldn't be anything new. We've had ET-centric stories before in the comics.

I've also been saying for a while that I think someone could adapt 'Beowulf' into an 'Alien' story and it could be really cool if done right. This might be something essentially along those lines. Wouldn't be surprised if it took that and some other legendary stories as creative inspiration.

Ultramorph

Yeah that's probably more likely.

If it is an ET species I'm looking forward to what they do with their culture and religion.

Nightmare Asylum

ET species is essentially going to be us, but having evolved under a different set of conditions on a different world that the Engineers seeded at a different point in history.

I would be willing to bet money that that's the route this one goes.

scottsigler

You always say that, Perfect-Organism. You always say "I got a bad feeling about this drop"

SM

SM

:laugh:

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 19, 2019, 04:24:53 PM
Posted this over on Facebook. I had the idea that maybe this is set way after Rage War and this planet is one of the distant colonies that got cut off when they shut down the drop holes. Maybe it just reverted over time as resources ran out and they couldn't get resupplied.

No connection to Rage War.

RakaiThwei

This actually is interesting...

I MIGHT pick this up for the premise alone. You'd expect something like this for Predator, but ALIEN? Not so much since it's usually been rooted in the future.

Perfect-Organism

If its literally a book about another human species created by engineers... hell I'm up for it.  That's really interesting.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 19, 2019, 11:21:46 PM
If its literally a book about another human species created by engineers... hell I'm up for it.  That's really interesting.

Although I would like to get away from the whole Prometheus thing, that would be interesting but I hope that if that is the case, it's not mentioned in the story.

But it would be interesting to see an expedition ship come down and then humans with advance tech come across these Medieval Times people and just go "WHAT THE F----!" because that would be interesting!

Nightmare Asylum

Set it hundreds of years after Resurrection, this planet was seeded some time after Earth so its people are not nearly as advanced, have some Earth-human or Engineer vessel crashed on this world years ago and that's the source of the weapons (and/or of the Alien eggs)......

Frosty Venom

I am very intrigued by that blurb. Quite excited to read this one.

Some interesting theories from people already as to what this is going to be.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Woohoo! my wishes will be fulfilled, almost ( I've read the premise, so don't worry ;)). Reposting from the thread "How far into the future is too far for Alien and Predator settings?":

"Bring me the post-apocalyptic Earth thousands of years in the future, after the black goo bombs have fallen and dark magic has come back into the world. The whole place is a deadly wasteland (comes to mind Mad Max Fury Road and Stephen King's The Dark Tower). The last humans are living in a wooden planet."

scottsigler

• It's not a wooden planet.
• It's doesn't involved PROMETHEUS.
• No black goo.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: scottsigler on Aug 21, 2019, 12:15:49 AM
• It's doesn't involved PROMETHEUS.
• No black goo.

Good.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: scottsigler on Aug 21, 2019, 12:15:49 AM
• It's not a wooden planet.
• It's doesn't involved PROMETHEUS.
• No black goo.

• That's why I had said:

• I had in mind the idea of ​​medieval societies struggling in a wasteland / isolated world, with Alien infestations.
• My personal fantasy was that some remnants of humanity are living in a medieval / steampunk-like space station orbiting the wasteland planet. But also, I used to fantasize that there were other humanoid cultures living in the dangerous desolate world. Maybe human mutants or hybrids.

But again, that's why I had said #almost. I never claimed to have exactly the same idea. Rather a remotely similar fantasy. That's all  :P

But I offer my apologies if my reply was inappropriate. I'm sorry.

Still Collating...

Now this is an interesting premise! It's good I read Alchemy recently and found it great. So another planet with really old ways of life being attacked by aliens seems like a refreshing take for a novel. Liking the unique approach, even thought I don't find them necessary at all for a good book, once in a while is a good idea.

Really really looking forward to this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed