Misc Prometheus Stuff

Started by ikarop, May 02, 2012, 10:33:57 PM

Author
Misc Prometheus Stuff (Read 225,479 times)

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

Does anyone know where I can find a Prometheus screensaver?

Eva

Eva

Well, Viscal over at Prometheusforum has posted an interview with the actor portraying the Sacrifice Engineer and there are some brand new info in here, so -

Warning - spoiler material

Spoiler
Interview with an A L I E N

This summer, something huge is coming. The master of science-fiction, after a 30 year
hiatus is returning to the genre he defined in what If Only predicts to be this summer's
greatest film, Ridley Scott's Prometheus. Surrounded by an extensive ad and viral campaign,
Prometheus is the tale of a manned space crew, venturing into the far reaches of the
universe, trying to find clues into the origins of humanity, and is expected to raise the bar
for all 2012 summer blockbusters as well as future sci-fi epics.

If you have been following the advertising campaign, in amongst the space cobras, melty
faces and all round terror, you may have caught a glimpse of a tall, nude life form enjoying
the view from an alien planet, and stomping round an alien ship, promising an answer to the
ever elusive 'Space Jockey' mystery surrounding Scott's 1979 classic Alien.

In a world exclusive, If Only has bagged an interview with this being, in the form of 22 year
old Daniel Twiss. Model and part time actor, Twiss spared some time to talk to us about his
role in Prometheus and perhaps provide some answers into just what the f**k the crew find
on this alien planet.

If Only: First and foremost, welcome to If Only and thank you for taking the time to answer some questions for us. To begin with, how did you manage to become a part of Prometheus?

Daniel Twiss: Hello If Only! I have been modelling for 5 years, and have done some small
acting parts before, but my agency managed to get me into the Nina Gold Casting for the
part of the 'Sacrifice Engineer'. It was a pretty quick casting by all accounts, but I got a call
the next day saying the casting director loved me and I got the part. I guess I just look like
a good alien.

We have seen the virals, the teasers and the trailers. We have seen the alien life
forms and the spacecraft from Scott's Alien. What information can you give us on
your character as the 'Space Engineer'?

In the original Alien, the crew encounter the 'Space Jockey', now known as an 'Engineer'
(the name for the alien race) however, as this is a semi-prequel, the 'Engineers'
have a much bigger part to play. My character is that of a fairly young 'Engineer'
who ritualistically sacrifices himself in the opening scene. This sacrifice is very different to
any others as I have to drink an ancient mix which causes my body to literally disintegrate
into the water around me. This then provides the first building blocks for new life to form
on the alien planet. There are two other 'Engineers' who are in the rest of the film and have
fairly large parts, but you will have to wait for release to find out more.

What direction, if any, were you given on playing this essential role?

To be honest, fairly little before the day actually came. The crew had changed the scene
quite a bit since the casting so I didn't know really what was happening. They also forgot to
send me my lines so I only received them the day before, but there were only a few words
in alien to learn so it wasn't too bad. On set, the crew were amazing and were quite flexible
to see what looks good on the day, so it was a lot of fun working with them all.

We know that Pinewood studios had to be extended to fit Scott's grand ideas,
and you had the chance to visit the set, what did you make of it?

I saw set of the alien spaceship and some extensive tunnels, where they did quite a lot of
filming, and it took up the whole of the 007 stage in Pinewood. The detail is incredible on
set and considering just how big it is, it will look amazing in 3-D.

You were also tasked to Iceland for a week long shoot (how nice), how does the
Icelandic landscape fit into Prometheus, an essentially space bound picture?

Iceland is the perfect place to film an alien landscape. Flying in it looked like a very un-
earthy, grey, volcanic landscape, and the Detifoss waterfalls in the North were a fantastic
backdrop to complete it.

You clearly do not have the physical characteristics of an alien, so how extensive
was the 'Sacrificial Engineer' make up and prosthetics?

The prosthetics were ridiculous, it took 10 hours to put the costume on, which was made up
of 27 separate silicon pieces which were glued onto me in a set order so that there were no
breaks in the suit. Without any CG it still looked like there was an alien walking around, and
it felt very odd looking on the mirror.

What was it like working with the godfather of science fiction, Sir Ridley Scott?

Ridley was unbelievable to work with. He is so focused and it is very obvious just how good
he is when you get a chance to talk to him about a scene. It was very intimidating at first
but his direction was fantastic and he couldn't have been nicer about them afterwards. He
even sat and watched back the shots with me in 3-D after filming which was probably the
highlight for me.

What does it feel like to be part of movie history in the making?

I don't really know yet, it was a surreal and amazing experience but I'll have to wait and
see once the film is out. It looks like it will be a big success so hopefully then I'll feel like a
movie star.

Thanks Daniel, and we will see you on screen soon.

http://ifonlyuk.com/interviews/interview-daniel-twiss/
[close]

...and with this I might just close my eyes and ears for the next week... if I can  :)

Didn't wanna start a new thread with this, so I posted it here.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Googled him....he's a hottie to be sure.

Qwertify

Qwertify

Thanks Eva -

The skinny below -
Spoiler

Twiss plays the sacrifice engineer in the beginning.
He drinks a concoction and disintegrates to create life on Earth.
The other two engineers, Ghost and Last, have bigger roles in the film.
[close]

I found this kind of funny.

Spoiler
So here's an outline as to my predictions for the film. I use a mixture of facts gleaned from the last few months and my own conjecture.

1) Humans discover star map. They go to planet. Duh. No one fan is disputing this.

2) They arrive on planet (not the one from "Alien"). There they find a derelict spacecraft. They go inside, where they discover all manner of bizarre, almost mechanically biological life (setting the groundwork again for Scott's interconnecting themes of rape/corporate abuse/robotics/insect life, but expect it to be more tortuously painful and disturbing to watch).

3) Some of this life attack one of the humans.

4) The human (with mohawk?) begins to change at the biological level. Maybe it's a symbiotic/parasitic arrangement? He begins to turn into a Space Jockey (there, I said it... everyone else seems to just take it for granted that Space Jockeys are completely different and have no connection to humans. I contend that the "Engineers" ARE human, somehow at least).

5) The human/Space Jockey starts to attack others. The crew of the Prometheus realize that the threat is not only to them, but to all of human kind. The Space Jockey is like a dark, monstrous version of the Star Child from "2001: A Space Odyssey," and those egg-like cylinders that have confused us all are like monoliths, but tangibly filled with icky DNA-altering goo.

6) The Space Jockey fixes/builds the spacecraft to go to Earth. The Prometheus crew realize that if it gets there, all of human kind will be ruined, that the whole purpose of human existence is to be converted/serve as hosts for these Space Jockeys.

7) The Prometheus pursues across space.

8) While in transit, the robot David figures out a way to alter the genome sequence and create something that will destroy the Space Jockeys, e.i. turn the weapon against them. A xenomorph essentially, except that that term is Cameron's name and not Scott's.

9) They catch up to the ship and stop it, losing all their own people while they're at it. Rapace's character succeeds in stopping the Jockeys, but in the meantime becomes infected herself. She turns into THE Jockey we all know and feel sorry for, the one from the first "Alien."

10) The xenomorphs (Scott will never call them that) make there way into the picture. And the nasty kicker of the film, the twist ending: the Gods have ANTICIPATED the humans creating the xenomorphs. The Gods KNOW that this is the way it will play out. The whole point is not to populate a new planet with Space Jockeys, but to provoke the humans into MAKING SOMETHING WORSE. That's the heartless raping/corporate/robotic/insect-like horror at the heart of the matter.
[close]

I bet you $100 he is wrong.

ikarop

Mechafist

Mechafist

Plasma shotgun at 01:11?  :P

I want one of these hats 1:41  :)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Mechafist on May 23, 2012, 07:06:18 PM
Plasma shotgun at 01:11?  :P

State of the badass art!

RoyaleDuke

RoyaleDuke

DAMN look at the size of those sets!

And Ridley.  :D I don't know why I like watching him work, but I do.

He also smokes good cigars, something he and I have in common.

zuzuki

zuzuki

I don't know why but i get the impression that we won't see the original space jockey race. I think this engineers are justa creation of theirs, like their version of androids. Possible the jockey race died long ago, thats why there are jockey statues and remains in those cave and tunnels. Would be cool if these engineers ended up there just like us, trying to find out more about their creators, and the holograms of them working on that platform is just them investigating and who knows triggering something. This would also work for David well cause he would relate more easier to them, himself being a creation of a species. Maybe twitter girl was right, and the engineers are trying to recreate the creators and we were an experiment of theirs. Also if this were to happen, then David would have more respect for this master species who started this chain of events. Would make  a good story

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The "remains" are the suits worn by other jockey's.

Mechafist

Mechafist

Quote from: zuzuki on May 24, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
Maybe twitter girl was right, and the engineers are trying to recreate the creators and we were an experiment of theirs.
This was what i thought.
And if the Engineers are the "Titans" and the "True gods" are these strange tentacle like creatures?

Cronus(Titan) gives birth to Zeus(Olympian) who dethrones him.
The Engineer give birth to this creatures that as we see in the video try to kill him.

Oooooor maybe the True Gods created the Engineers for the purpose of creating life, and they tired of serving as sacrificial beings tried to kill them, the Engineers so used their technology to create this strange creature for a unknown objective.

metalos

metalos

What's the question on the video end, and what Ridley answer? I don't get it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed