DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues)

Started by Ultramorph, Feb 20, 2019, 04:32:00 PM

Author
DH Announces Alien: Rescue (Amanda Ripley’s Story Continues) (Read 42,994 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 20, 2019, 06:15:40 PM
Resistance is still at issue 1 and they are already announcing a sequel? I don't get where they got that people are that interested on more of Amanda.

From the reaction to her in Isolation and people wanting to know what happened to her, I imagine.

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 20, 2019, 06:48:07 PM
Personally, I'd be more interested in getting the backstories of the rest of the Nostromo crew, the Sulaco Marines, and the prisoners on Fury 161. There is so much more in this universe than just the Aliens and the Ripleys.

I honestly feel that that has more place within the anthology-style stories. And we had some in Bug Hunt. Unfortunately, they just weren't great. I really enjoyed the Bishop backstory piece, though. I really don't think they have the weight to pull their own dedicated titles.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 20, 2019, 07:17:34 PM
Fantastic news! I'm loving that all of this content is coming out this year! Great time to be a fan!

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the more constant releases we've been getting over the last 4/5 years. It's no 90s golden age but it's sure better than the 00s! It helps I've largely been enjoying them too.

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2019, 10:17:43 PM
We had backstorys to the Covenant crew and some marines and they've generally been regarded as the weakest stories of recent times.  Years ago DH press did a few books that pushed the Aliens into the background and they're not exactly fan faves either.

Which specific DH books are you thinking? I know Criminal Enterprises pushed them to the back a little but that's generally regarded as the best of the DH run.

Quote from: Postdark on Feb 21, 2019, 04:30:55 AM
Which reminds me, does anyone know why DH were always so reluctant to put Ellen or Dutch in their Alien/Predator comics? I know Ripley's story was closed off in the movies but they could always claim alternate universes/timelines. Dutch would of course be easier to fit into a Predator comic for obvious reasons.

I can't speak to the Alien-side but on the Predator I'm told it's pretty much as SM mentioned. It's to avoid any potential continuity conflicts in the future - particularly with Dutch for the Predators. They've no real concerns over Harrigan or Royce and Isabelle.

Predwars24

I don't see that huge appeal for Amanda Ripley's story. We all know how it ends thanks to Aliens.

SM

SM

Don't tell stories about anyone ever because eventually they'll die?

Quote[Which specific DH books are you thinking? I know Criminal Enterprises pushed them to the back a little but that's generally regarded as the best of the DH run.

No Exit and DNA War both pushed them to being a secondary concern. Steel Egg less so. Cauldron seemed to be the only one where the Aliens were the main focus.

I'm sure you could do Alien-less stories; I enjoyed Origins overall. I just don't know what kind of audience they're going to garner outside core fans and how you would market it.  Those stories are better off in anthologies where you can have the best of both worlds.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 21, 2019, 08:47:17 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 20, 2019, 06:15:40 PM
Resistance is still at issue 1 and they are already announcing a sequel? I don't get where they got that people are that interested on more of Amanda.

From the reaction to her in Isolation and people wanting to know what happened to her, I imagine.

To her or to the game itself? The game would still have a positive reaction if she wasn't Ripley daughter. And it worked by being an isolated event, now things are getting to a scale that I feel its too big to fit between the first 2 movies. Aliens seems to be becoming so available to WY during this period that going after Ripley on Alien 3 wouldn't even be needed. People would probably prefer another game like Isolation than other Amanda stories.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 21, 2019, 08:47:17 AM
I can't speak to the Alien-side but on the Predator I'm told it's pretty much as SM mentioned. It's to avoid any potential continuity conflicts in the future - particularly with Dutch for the Predators. They've no real concerns over Harrigan or Royce and Isabelle.

Jeff VanderMeer still managed to bring Dutch back, it was cool cameo appearance. Guess the Fox guys didn't connect the dots to who Onyx was.  :D

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Not sure if the synopsis has been shared yet, but the full solicitations are up.

https://www.newsarama.com/44012-dark-horse-may-2019-solicitations.html

Spoiler
QuoteAliens: Rescue #1
Brian Wood (W), Kieran McKeown (A), JL Straw (C), Roberto De LaTorre (Cover), and Mack Chater (Variant Cover)
On sale May 22
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Following the events of Aliens: Resistance, Alec Brand, the colonist rescued by Amanda Ripley and Zula Hendricks, has grown up into an elite Colonial Marine. A secret mission brings him back to the alien-infested moon where he was rescued . . . and face to face with the past.
- Written by Brian Wood of Aliens: Defiance and Aliens: Resistance.
- Find out the fate of Amanda Ripley after Aliens: Resistance.
- Zula Hendricks and Alec Brand return!

Looks like there is going to be a significant time jump between Resistance and Rescue. I wonder if Ripley has been living on the xeno-infested moon?
[close]

Samhain13

Spoiler
Who the hell is Alec? Is that a spoiler from the next Resistance Issues? Fells kind of the weird that they are already revealing info about a sequel before actually finishing the previous entry.
[close]

SM

Spoiler
Page 8 panel 4
[close]

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2019, 09:17:14 PM
Don't tell stories about anyone ever because eventually they'll die?

Quote[Which specific DH books are you thinking? I know Criminal Enterprises pushed them to the back a little but that's generally regarded as the best of the DH run.

No Exit and DNA War both pushed them to being a secondary concern. Steel Egg less so. Cauldron seemed to be the only one where the Aliens were the main focus.

I'm sure you could do Alien-less stories; I enjoyed Origins overall. I just don't know what kind of audience they're going to garner outside core fans and how you would market it.  Those stories are better off in anthologies where you can have the best of both worlds.

It's not about knowing they'll die.  Everybody dies.  It's about knowing their ultimate fate which could make for a boring story.  We KNOW Amanda dies of old age, married to some guy named McLaren.  For all intents and purposes, she achieves "happily ever after", so knowing the ultimate result may diminish the journey somewhat.

Or...

Burke could have been lying.  The motive could have been to prevent Ripley from having any other interests other than those he put before her.  Personally, I find her story compelling enough that I just want it to continue.  I really enjoyed Isolation, and she was a great part of that.

SM

Did it harm Isolation when we knew she was going to survive?

The Old One

The Old One

No, but records could've been falsified by the "Special Order" dudebros. We don't really know how her story ends, that's not what worries me about utilizing Amanda Ripley. It's artfully finishing a story set between Alien and Aliens, which doesn't make the latter seem absurd that worries me, or seem absurd in of itself.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Feb 22, 2019, 02:28:33 AM
Did it harm Isolation when we knew she was going to survive?

No, not at all.  Just sayin'.  If we're talking broad strokes, you can definitely spoil a story by knowing the ending.  I thought Isolation was great.  Her journey was so good, I am looking forward to reading a novelization of it, as well as watch a 7-part animated series about it.  ;-)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Feb 21, 2019, 09:17:14 PM

From what I remember No Exit's problems were not a lack of Aliens but from that crazy ass last third where a fella went around beating Aliens up with his fists. That would have been the best of DH Press' run if it wasn't for that stupid last third. I remember rather enjoying Cauldron, though. I always remember that blowing through the chest trick.

QuoteI'm sure you could do Alien-less stories; I enjoyed Origins overall. I just don't know what kind of audience they're going to garner outside core fans and how you would market it.  Those stories are better off in anthologies where you can have the best of both worlds.

I agree. I definitely think there's room for Alien-less stories in the Alien universe - whether that's full novels or part of anthologies. I don't even think it needs to be ET-less. I'd be curious to see novels that further expand on what Prometheus setup or see the Neomorphs explored.

Frosty Venom

I agree. I definitely think there's room for Alien-less stories in the Alien universe - whether that's full novels or part of anthologies. I don't even think it needs to be ET-less. I'd be curious to see novels that further expand on what Prometheus setup or see the Neomorphs explored.

Definitely some very interesting Xenomorph-less avenues that deserve exploring.

SM

QuoteI remember rather enjoying Cauldron, though. I always remember that blowing through the chest trick.

Cauldron was the worst for mine.  Painful characters delivering painful dialogue.  The chest trick was the only positive I can remember. 

SiL

DNA war lost me when the Aliens started doing cartwheels on their tails to get around.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed