Melee Punch or Melee WEapon?

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 05, 2021, 07:01:04 PM

Author
Melee Punch or Melee WEapon? (Read 1,800 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I noticed in a video that  we can do an actual melee attack (in this case I saw a marine do a punch on an alien).
Any one else feel like this game could use melee weapons like an axe or machette?

I get that there is acid damage but thats only on Intense, Extreme and Insane.

SpreadEagleBeagle

No.

The Aliens are feeble and weak as it is already. Being able to battle them in melee (and win) would turn them into simple zombie game cannon fodder.

If anything they should make the player even weaker in melee situations. Punching should just be cosmetic with zero melee impact and in order to escape the grip of an Alien you should need a team mate to help you. Acid splash damage should be  potent on lower difficulty settings and so should acid puddles on the ground. Friendly fire should also be more of a concern no matter the setting.

Right now it's like the player is wandering through a shooting gallery packed with rabid dogs & monkeys + the ocational lumbering steroid freak who likes to use you for weight lifting. I get it that this is a fast-paced arcade-like shoot em up kind of game, but that doesn't mean that the Aliens need to be slapped around like trash.

For example, instead of having each Xeno die after a round or three, they could have it fall to the ground where it recuperate for three seconds. If you keep shooting at it while it's on the ground it will be weaker once it gets up again. Also, pistols and shotguns should only do damage up close, although shotguns should have a halting effect on the Aliens no matter the range. Incendiary weapons should not kill the Aliens but blind them and have them run around randomly (or even run away altogether), which makes it easier for the marines to finish them off with pulse rifles, smartguns, grenades etc.

acrediblesource

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 05, 2021, 08:23:45 PM
For example, instead of having each Xeno die after a round or three, they could have it fall to the ground where it recuperate for three seconds. If you keep shooting at it while it's on the ground it will be weaker once it gets up again

Thisis f**kin brlliant man! Ridley Scott even imagined the xenomorph being able to grow an arm if it ever got severed. I like this idea.

judge death

judge death

Melee kill a xeno, that would make me laugh in how silly and weak the xenos are in the game, like in colonial marines game or avp2010, why even have melee in the game as its useless compared to using a pulse rifle?

Drukathi

Drukathi

Don't forget - we talking about the horde shooter action arcade game. Not about super-duper realistic colonial marines (kek) simulator.

The ability to have a weapon for the melee is a brilliant idea. This is why such games are popular. Axe, katana, knife, chainsaw, bat - sounds sweet. Of course on Extreme and Insane you will take full acid damage - this is also a part of fun.

The Necronoir

While I don't want to see a melee system beyond simply being able to push enemies off you momentarily, people seem to forget things from the movies. Like when Vasquez manages to throw the alien off her after it drops down in the vent, then proceeds to pin its head against the wall with her boot and offload her pistol into it. Unrealistic? Probably.

acrediblesource

I hate to think somewhere down the line that everyone got the idea that the Alien franchise is all about explosions and gunfire as it is  most certainly not (Alien3 was about fire). But I do recall kicks and punches to be part of the way people usually get away from threats in the franchise as well. Sometimes there were fire extinguishes and electric rods. I'm just saying it would make it fun to be able to use any blunt instrument to knock down an alien but It most certainly won't cause it to randomly explode, that just wouldnt make sense. But the energy and satisfaction is definitely there if you're going to use a bat and would be something different since the rest of the game is  spray and pray.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Aliens have a clear strength advantage on humans and it should remain that way always.  No human alive today can pluck a human armored marine off the floor and run up a vertical spacing in seconds.  That is a very obvious strength difference that cannot be matched.   

It should be that if you are pinned you at the very best should be able to do is slow the Alien down before it instakills you, and that should manifest itself in game where another player has to save you before you die. 

I don't agree with eagle about the aliens being able to stand up to a 10mm round though.  That is a very heavy round that is currently formulated to primarily handgun use.  Adapted as a carbine round and given the actual increased velocity it would have as well as having an explosive tip........said round would blow a human to pieces.  It could easily kill a grizzly with the improved velocity..........I really don't think Aliens would match up with it, despite their natural armor.

The two instances in Aliens are covered by the fact that in the Hicks shotgun blast in the APC two other Marines were trying to close the door, and were stalemated by the Alien, and the Vasquez scenario, the Alien had been shot point blank as it was falling down to try and get her, and then shot again as it was flailing around before the head pin.

Typically assailants, even armored ones, aren't going to be as effective after you blast them. 

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

From what I saw in gameplay and from what the devs said on Discord, melee barely does any damage and is, at best, a last resort to push em away and deal minimal damage, looks like it will be useless against anything bigger than a Runner (majority of the enemies in this game)

And incase y'all forgot, someone was able to wrestle with a fully grown Runner for 20 seconds without any weapons or military training, so melee kinda working on em in this game makes sense

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

That guy died though.  He never was going to live.  Same for Parker.

My point wasn't that a fully adrenalized up human couldn't slow the Alien down, but that is ALL they could do.

I always thought the runner killing dillion had more to do with its dog based heritage as if you've ever seen a dog attack a prey creature before it is pretty vicious.  It doesn't seem to be as precise of a kill as almost all the other kills in the series before hand.  Maybe because Dillon actually was physically going to confront the creature and nobody else had in the third movie?

I think the comic Labyrinth might have taken that scene and made it a whole concept in that series. 

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 07, 2021, 05:07:03 PM

My point wasn't that a fully adrenalized up human couldn't slow the Alien down, but that is ALL they could do.
A well placed punch is an already weakened Xeno could kill it, this applies to alot of real life creatures too, if an untrained big guy can slow a xeno down for 20ish seconds then a trained marine could deliver blows capable of staggering em
And frankly, the melee attacks in this game are far less offensive than ACM and 2010.

judge death

judge death

Agree on what you guys are onto:
The dog alien/runner was in the movie strong enough to bend netal door and lift a human with ease, with dillon like an animal I think it was mostly playing with him and just wounding him until it was bored with dillon. It killed others who tried to fight it in seconds.
But like you say: like real life physics and what one learn in martial art: you can use a bigger opponents weight/speed against it and knock it down, xeno should be possible to tackle etc but winning and killing it ehn no, injury it maybe. Would compare it to kyle fighting the terminator in T1. But is a good tactic in last resort to get away from a xeno.

As long as one cant go and kill xenos left and right with punches like avp2010 where it was even demanded and possible to do if you got good with the light/heavy attacks, then its all fine for me :)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Yeah, I feel like what we are getting here is way better than 2010 and CM, where you could literally beat an Alien to death with no problems

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 07, 2021, 05:54:10 PM

A well placed punch is an already weakened Xeno could kill it, this applies to alot of real life creatures too, if an untrained big guy can slow a xeno down for 20ish seconds then a trained marine could deliver blows capable of staggering em
And frankly, the melee attacks in this game are far less offensive than ACM and 2010.

Nope. No chance in hell that even a perfectly delivered punch  by human would kill an Alien, no matter how weakened the Alien is or how strong and able the human is. At best it would stun it or have it back off...TEMPORARILY.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 08, 2021, 12:23:05 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 07, 2021, 05:54:10 PM

Nope. No chance in hell that even a perfectly delivered punch  by human would kill an Alien, no matter how weakened the Alien is or how strong and able the human is. At best it would stun it or have it back off...TEMPORARILY.
Yes it would lol, it's not an impossibility, it's improbable and unlikely, but still possible

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed