New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 154,307 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on May 06, 2020, 07:59:14 PM
As someone who plays Destiny, more than theyd like to admit, I couldnt imagine a further removed universe from Alien. I cant even understand what kind of loot would be dropped. Destiny is a game that's literally filled with thousands of unique guns. Theres like 10 types of guns in the alien universe, extended universe as well. It just doesnt seem like an even fun idea to have a looter-shooter alien game

I fell off of Destiny with the current seasons (I adored Shadowkeep, but the season stuff was hard for me to keep up with and I just fell behind, so I'm waiting until the next big DLC to properly jump back into the game) and I agree with a lot of this. What works for Destiny feels so very not Alien. I'm going to hold off on judging until I see the game but... Isolation really was the perfect Alien video game experience for me, and they are going to be very hard pressed to do something that comes close.

j0nesy

maybe it will be less destiny, and more of a walking simulator kind of experience?

Xenomrph

As someone who plays Destiny, more than theyd like to admit, I couldnt imagine a further removed universe from Alien. I cant even understand what kind of loot would be dropped. Destiny is a game that's literally filled with thousands of unique guns. Theres like 10 types of guns in the alien universe, extended universe as well. It just doesnt seem like an even fun idea to have a looter-shooter alien game
You'd think so, but then The Division somehow has a million granular variations on the AK-47 and whatever, each with slightly different stats. Ditto with loot drops in something like "Inquisitor: Martyr" and its weapon drops.

If they wanted to make a looter-shooter Alien game where you can find variations on the Pulse Rifle, and then "custom modded" versions of those variations, and then variations of those that are in slightly different states of repair so that you can say Pulse Rifle X has +0.5% accuracy but -3.4% damage and +1.2% rate of fire vs Pulse Rifle Y, you'd better believe they could do it.
It's f**king stupid, and I hope to Christ that they don't do something like that.

Kimarhi

If you are a developer with ANY imagination at all you could use the Division play style but lose the drops for something like credits or acquisitions post mission depending on how successful you were during mission.  Stuff that allows a person or a unit to acquire more high speed gear post mission that makes you more combat effective.  Wipe out the Alien threat, get 10,000 credits to put toward a m41a with a a drum instead of a magazine and a weapon mounted tracker, or an IR eyepiece that tracks movement instead of the handheld. 

It could still be a loot shooter, without busting a cap in some alien warriors face and it dropping a brand spanking new battery for the sentry guns.   

JokersWarPig

The constant stat rolling from both divisions did get tiresome.
It's random encounters, clearing out strongholds and ability to revisit missions is what kept me playing for as long as I did.

Gemini

an Alien universe version of The Division is kind of what I am imagining here too, and I think i'd generally be happy with that.

I put many hours into The Division. had kind of a love hate relationship with it. loved many aspects of the world and the game (and some great co op moments, great bits of comradery with your squad mates when taking on missions). but I hated the grind (and hated myself for getting sucked into it.. chasing that next weapon with +0.0002 extra damage or whatever)
I didn't bother with The Division 2, played the demo it was sooo similar to the first.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 06, 2020, 09:11:30 PM
You'd think so, but then The Division somehow has a million granular variations on the AK-47 and whatever, each with slightly different stats. Ditto with loot drops in something like "Inquisitor: Martyr" and its weapon drops.

If they wanted to make a looter-shooter Alien game where you can find variations on the Pulse Rifle, and then "custom modded" versions of those variations, and then variations of those that are in slightly different states of repair so that you can say Pulse Rifle X has +0.5% accuracy but -3.4% damage and +1.2% rate of fire vs Pulse Rifle Y, you'd better believe they could do it.
It's f**king stupid, and I hope to Christ that they don't do something like that.

God I hope it doesn't end up like that. All it should be is payment in credits and "Requisition Points" for completing missions/contracts/secondary objectives. Credits for cosmetics, booze, and other crap, ReqPoints for visiting your armory Sergeant and trading for PPE/Weapon/Etc upgrades.

That would be way better, working with baseline gear, instead of trying to get a Purple Rifle to drop out a face-hugger. Kinda hard to be scared shitless of the most dangerous creatures in the universe when they die in a shower of loot. 

Acid blood and death should be all that "pops" from an Xenomorph.  If it's anything more than that, time to save 60$ lol

Kradan

Garethmb

So Cold Iron still says the game is coming. They were sold as part of the FoxNext sale to a mobile game company who clearly does not do PC and Consoles game. Cold Iron said they expect to be sold. The game was first announced Jan 2019 with no images, name, etc and confirmed again after Alien: Blackout was released. We know there is a Titan Book coming that sets up the game and it was moved from June to December. The staff and I figured E3 would be likely since we had clues last year but no reveal at E3 or the Game Awards. There is no E3 this year but several Virtual Cons and panels so who knows. We have heard it is similar to a Destiny style game in that it is a big open world setting and you can play in groups and that it is indeed a shooter. Beyond that; who knows. One staffer said I could see a ship being your base and you drop to various planets each with their own missions. I am also wondering if this movie of the book from June to Dec. also covers delays due to the uncertain times and sale and possible clue that it could now be a PC and Next-Generation game. What do you think?

Schrödinger

Schrödinger

Quote from: Garethmb on May 18, 2020, 08:38:18 PM

So Cold Iron still says the game is coming. They were sold as part of the FoxNext sale to a mobile game company who clearly does not do PC and Consoles game. Cold Iron said they expect to be sold. The game was first announced Jan 2019 with no images, name, etc and confirmed again after Alien: Blackout was released. We know there is a Titan Book coming that sets up the game and it was moved from June to December. The staff and I figured E3 would be likely since we had clues last year but no reveal at E3 or the Game Awards. There is no E3 this year but several Virtual Cons and panels so who knows. We have heard it is similar to a Destiny style game in that it is a big open world setting and you can play in groups and that it is indeed a shooter. Beyond that; who knows. One staffer said I could see a ship being your base and you drop to various planets each with their own missions. I am also wondering if this movie of the book from June to Dec. also covers delays due to the uncertain times and sale and possible clue that it could now be a PC and Next-Generation game. What do you think?

If it's gonna be like Destiny I think it's gonna be hard to make an Aliens game where Aliens are just bullet sponges that bleed loot and no punishments for dying except wasted time.

I wanna be scared to face them, be challenged, and be punished for screwing up lol. Now I don't mean make it a 100%PermaDeath game with strict combat systems. I do think there needs to be really good AI, punishment for death(With stacking %s), and motivators to "GitGud" and survive. Maybe each player can have a personal team and pick a person to play as when going out? Maybe that could incorporate a death and item loss system to punish stupidity?

And if it's being made by Mobile and MMO designers, we can already bet loot boxes, subscription, PayForIngameItems(One of the dudes worked on Star Trek Online so I'm sure he's thrown in that idea...), and so on will probably be a thing to nickel and dime people. Sorry, I want to earn stuff, not be paywalled, Especially if it's a subscription-based service. Look at Star Wars Galaxies, It went for nearly a decade before SOE went into a bonfire, you earned everything in that game, all you paid was the 14.99 a month, no BS. There wasn't even a option for MTXs.

My main concern is, I don't think an Aliens MMO will be a hit. It's not gonna rock the boat, and it's not gonna bring in the kind of money WoW, Destiny, and so on bring in. It's gonna piss investors off, and it's just gonna hurt the Aliens Franchise even more. Fox would do better just to focus on Isolation style games, AvP, allow Obsidian to make that damn RPG they wanted to make so badly, and allow open-ended development the way Lucas Arts did with SW back in the day (We got so many great games because of that decision before the Mouse House days that handed the SW IP to EA, we only got one good game in a damn decade instead of dozens.....).

But, luckily, all the good games are still around and thank f**k for Emulators. So hey, I'll be playing the good stuff while I wait to see if this MMO will be worth even a $1...

Edit: Man... Some of the information from the reviews on GlassDoor (7 reviews and 3 interviews) doesn't bode well.... If I had any hype, it's all gone now lol.

j0nesy

not huge news but a cis/scopely job posting as of 3 days ago: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/senior-environment-artist-at-scopely-1832042412

if nothing else, confirms they're still actively working on this

Drukathi

Will there be any elements of Prometheus in this game?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Drukathi on May 26, 2020, 12:26:04 PM
Will there be any elements of Prometheus in this game?

No idea whatsoever. We don't even have a name for the game yet. :D

The only vague ideas we really have about the game's story come from the writeup for the prequel novel, due out late this year:

QuoteThe official prequel to the new Alien video game from Cold Iron Studios. Dr. Timothy Hoenikker arrives on Pala Station, a Weyland-Yutani facility. Lured there by the promise of alien artifacts, instead he finds a warped bureaucracy and staff of misfits testing the effects of Xenomorph bio-materials on living creatures. Unbeknownst to the personnel, however, there is an infiltrator among them whose actions could spell disaster. Also on staff is Victor Rawlings, a former marine who gathers together other veterans to prepare for the worst. As the personnel receive a delivery of alien eggs, the experiments spin out of control, and only the former Colonial Marines can stand between the humans and certain death.

Alien: Infiltrator TM & © 2020 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. All rights reserved.

Perfect-Organism

j0nesy

the tie-in novel being released (hopefully) by the end of the year: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62857.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed