facehuggers should not be in multiplayer. balance breaking.

Started by affinity, May 15, 2009, 10:25:02 PM

Author
facehuggers should not be in multiplayer. balance breaking. (Read 3,696 times)

affinity

I especially hated how in AvP2, they treated the facehugger and the chest burster as the same being in SP.  it made no sense having the player start as a facehugger.   the hugger dies and that's it,  they do not "become" the chestburster.

anyways back to MP, facehuggers would be more annoying than the Monkeys in Timesplitters games.   such small targets, virtually instant kill if they catch opponents. I can tell exploiters would spam them, and would ruin the authentic experience if they can respawn as an alien afterwards.

thats one reason why I prefer AvPGold instead of AvP2 multiplayer.  those little things are too cheap.

kvon17

I disagree. The kids who are spamming the huggers, are probably kids who aren't going to do well when they have to play as the full alien. Their only kills will be as huggers.

I see your "realism" point in the hugger and the burster being two separate beings, but I think that is okay.

I think it can be balanced properly to allow for it. No more "I pounced on your leg, I win" For the facehuggers. They have to get near the face. Maybe implement a mechanic where the now chestburster can choose to burst right away or later. This can be implemented by respawning the victim, regardless of whether or not the person decided to burst right away, in the same spot they were hugged. This would add a "Holy sh!t am I still carrying a burster?" affect to the player who got hugged.

I know that's a little out there. Just trying to think of  ways it could work.

Or, discourage huggers from jumping into groups of enemies by allowing their team mates to fill the corpse full of lead, killing the soon to be chest burster.

RumorControl

The Marines and Preds had so many auto-aiming weapons that killing facehuggers was pretty much the easiest thing to do in the game.

Secondly, as a chestburster, it was impossible for you to harm anyone.  The only thing you could do was hide and wait to grow into a full Alien, and that was only possible when cheap Marines and Preds wouldn't go back to where they died and wait for you to chestburst so they could immediately blast you.

Xhan

Quote from: RumorControl on May 16, 2009, 12:07:27 AM
The Marines and Preds had so many auto-aiming weapons that killing facehuggers was pretty much the easiest thing to do in the game.

*ding ding*

Plokoon111

Having the ability to wait to burst will be fun if it happens. Especially if they wait 15 minutes and the player forgets about it and while they are all camping in some hallway getting pinned down by aliens it will be a shocker to them and a very funny joke to the aliens. Also it would be cool if as a chest burster you have to go into a dark place and cocoon yourself to grow into an adult. 

affinity

they still are very annoying though.   there should be a host option to not make them selectable.

kvon17

You could turn lifecycle off in avp2

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: affinity on May 16, 2009, 03:54:05 AM
they still are very annoying though. there should be a host option to not make them selectable.

There already was, if memory serves right. :)

Their whole purpose was to give the Aliens an added factor of unpredictability. any 'annoyance' factor is easily remedied by giving the game an option to 'fight' for supremecy against a facehugger and let it become a contest over which is the better at that particular miniature game.

The same as when Predators netted Marines: There was always the possibility for knifing your way out of them. Facehuggers, of course, could be thrown a short distance away, but have to be killed or would just make another attempt.

Some of the best games involved times when Alien players bothered to co-operate! We did the common sense thing and co-ordinated our attempts, so that adult Aliens distracted and herded the other targets into places where the facehugger players would lay still and wait to ambush. It worked wonders and made for a very authentic experience!

That's why I'd hope for a mode which doesn't reward individuals, but collectively, as teams. Only by implementing something like that, will co-ordination and strategies be properly encouraged. Otherwise, you always get random people being Aliens, charging into everywhere and getting instantly blown up, when you should all be helping one another, because that's how they tend to function.

And when you refused to play that sort of game, act like an Alien should, putting the effort in to find a shadowy corner or motionlessly hang from the ceiling, you got called a 'cheater'. WTF? Just because you didn't want to mindlessly sacrifice yourself and give the Marine/Predator player an excuse to spray bullets around the room for a cheap laugh? Just because it forced them to come to you and take them out of their defended safety zone? Like a real Alien would?

Alien players shouldn't be there to provide a cheap giggle. They should be there to f**k up your day by silent co-ordination and not doing the predictable thing. :)

The addition of facehuggers was a great thing - when they were used effectively. It put Marines and Predators completely off their game and made them pay the sort of dedicated attention to their surroundings they needed to.

Xhan

Mr. Stizout

Quote from: Plokoon111 on May 16, 2009, 03:39:43 AM
Having the ability to wait to burst will be fun if it happens. Especially if they wait 15 minutes and the player forgets about it and while they are all camping in some hallway getting pinned down by aliens it will be a shocker to them and a very funny joke to the aliens. Also it would be cool if as a chest burster you have to go into a dark place and cocoon yourself to grow into an adult. 
You see there is a problem with that, what if the person who got face hugged just killed himself and killing you with him, for example a pulse grenade or SADAR round to the wall.

kvon17

if you implement a mechanism that makes it so the marine doesn't know if you are still in them... than it could work.

jegu

Quote from: kvon17 on May 16, 2009, 11:53:19 PM
if you implement a mechanism that makes it so the marine doesn't know if you are still in them... than it could work.

Kinda hard not to know when you got this kilograms weighing slimy thing on your face...

Just make it possible to throw away the facehugger when it has got you on the grappling. Both facehugger and the facehugged should tap some button, facehugger to accomplish it's deed, facehugged to prevent being impregnated. But yeah, I do want to see facehuggers on multiplayer.

kvon17

I meant, the marine doesn't know if you decided to chestburst right away or decided to wait.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed