Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 189,165 times)

Corporal Hicks

Do we know who is doing the colours?

HuDaFuK

If it isn't Tristan himself, then the press release didn't say.

tyrannosaurusjones

Dan Jackson. He's done a HEAP of things at Dark Horse in the past.

Corporal Hicks

Another tease from Tristan's Facebook.

HuDaFuK

Funny how long-lasting the Colt 1911 has proven to be ;)

Corporal Hicks

These pistols are resilient!  :P I hope we see some VP70s in there.

tyrannosaurusjones

I wanted to put the VP70 into THIS sequence, but there's no way that suit's gloves would let her fire that thing... the colt's a little less of a stretch ;) I ALMOST used the revolver from Isolation, but it didn't sit right with me as a military issue weapon. I know the Russians carry triple barrelled pistols into space missions (for some reason!), but the design of the revolver, while great, just felt unwieldy for this sequence.
But, those colt and VP70 designs are timeless... and hey... we're still using AK's these days (don't worry, haven't drawn them into this). I'm using as many "in-universe" weapons as I can dig up. One of my favourite things I've drawn so far involves a shotgun... ;)

Corporal Hicks

Oh! Shotguns! I have something I'd like to suggest - just let me go find it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 03, 2015, 10:46:45 AMBut, those colt and VP70 designs are timeless... and hey... we're still using AK's these days (don't worry, haven't drawn them into this).

:) I wasn't criticising, it just amuses me how these by-then archaic designs keep cropping up in future settings.

I guess one thing the VP70 has going for it is that it has a pretty futuristic look even now. Plus it's a fairly obscure weapon, which helps hide the fact its 45 years old, whereas the old 1911 is iconic to the point of almost being cliché.

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 03, 2015, 10:46:45 AMI'm using as many "in-universe" weapons as I can dig up. One of my favourite things I've drawn so far involves a shotgun... ;)

Oooh, I hope you sneaked the Isolation shotgun in there somewhere, that was a really nice piece of design from Creative Assembly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 03, 2015, 10:56:42 AM
Oh! Shotguns! I have something I'd like to suggest - just let me go find it.

Ok, I'm sure there was a better piece than the one below but I can only find this one -

It's a piece of concept art for Aliens vs. Predator (the game) of a Pulse Rifle-ish style shotgun that I really loved the idea of. I'm sure there's a more refined version of it but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

QuoteI wanted to put the VP70 into THIS sequence, but there's no way that suit's gloves would let her fire that thing... the colt's a little less of a stretch ;) I ALMOST used the revolver from Isolation, but it didn't sit right with me as a military issue weapon. I know the Russians carry triple barrelled pistols into space missions (for some reason!), but the design of the revolver, while great, just felt unwieldy for this sequence.

That's understandable! Has the VP70 cropped up elsewhere then?

tyrannosaurusjones

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 03, 2015, 11:02:11 AM
:) I wasn't criticising, it just amuses me how these by-then archaic designs keep cropping up in future settings.

I guess one thing the VP70 has going for it is that it has a pretty futuristic look even now. Plus it's a fairly obscure weapon, which helps hide the fact its 45 years old, whereas the old 1911 is iconic to the point of almost being cliché.)

Haha! Nah, I knew, I was just saying how weird it is that military tech and design rarely changes. Also, it lets me sleep easier about putting a dropship in the book using the film look (though the interior is different, and has a side dock like a plane).

This is true though! I actually didn't know the VP70 was a real gun until very recently!

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 03, 2015, 11:02:11 AMOooh, I hope you sneaked the Isolation shotgun in there somewhere, that was a really nice piece of design from Creative Assembly.

Yep! Alistair and the guys at Creative Assembly have been tremendous help!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 03, 2015, 11:05:21 AM

Ok, I'm sure there was a better piece than the one below but I can only find this one -

It's a piece of concept art for Aliens vs. Predator (the game) of a Pulse Rifle-ish style shotgun that I really loved the idea of. I'm sure there's a more refined version of it but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

That's understandable! Has the VP70 cropped up elsewhere then?

Ooo! I like that...! Maybe further down the road... I've given the squad in this book tactical shotguns as it stands, but I do really like that... I'm also looking into some of the smaller firearms from Colonial Marines...

As for the second bit, yep... ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 03, 2015, 12:17:22 PM
Ooo! I like that...! Maybe further down the road... I've given the squad in this book tactical shotguns as it stands, but I do really like that... I'm also looking into some of the smaller firearms from Colonial Marines...

I think there might have been some similar concepts in the Isolation Art Of book. I'll have a gander when I get home this evening (I did have a quick look on Google but couldn't see any) and see if I can find any that might be of interest! Glad you like that though!

I rather liked the SMG myself. As terrible as the game was some of the designs were really nice and fitting, I thought.

QuoteAs for the second bit, yep... ;)

This pleases me. Immensely.  ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Nov 03, 2015, 12:17:22 PMYep! Alistair and the guys at Creative Assembly have been tremendous help!

That's great to hear. I really loved what they did with that game, it was superbly designed from a visual standpoint, so it's nice to know they're willing to help you continue their style in your own work.

Xenomrph

If it's confirmed that Alien Isolation isn't getting a video game sequel, what are the odds we get a sequel in comic book format to help tie up the cliffhanger ending of the game?

Corporal Hicks

I really hope that ends up being the case if it does get cancelled. A comic or novel sequel would be fantastic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed