Ridley Scott, Danny McBride & Michael Fassbender to Attend SXSW 2017!!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Feb 16, 2017, 05:47:58 PM

Hearing the positive reactions @SXSW how excited are you NOW!!

Super pumped!!
37 (67.3%)
Okay just a little bit more.
7 (12.7%)
Nah still hasn't moved me.
11 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author
Ridley Scott, Danny McBride & Michael Fassbender to Attend SXSW 2017!!! (Read 35,434 times)

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 13, 2017, 06:54:51 AM
Quote from: prometheusfire08 on Mar 12, 2017, 10:08:16 PM
pretty certain , like 100% that the original Alien gets its biomechanics aesthetics from growing and bursting from the lv223 jockey whilst he was fused with the pilot chair .

living tech.

the dorsal spines on the BIG CHAP perfectly match the exact same exhausts coming from the base of the jockey chair.

Its funny you say that. From when I first saw ALIEN i had been drawing a comparison b/w the FACEHUGGER and the BREATHING APPARATUS on the JOCKEY's FACE, and that never came to pass in any way. For a while, after PROMETHEUS, I was speculating that at some point David or whoever doesnt want that Space Jockey to fly off, would infect the Pilot chair's mechanisms and breathing apparatus with the Goo, thus fusing that pilot in the suit with the chair and causing it to create the Biomech features in not just the Alien but the entire ship.

Certainly going to be interesting to see how they pull off bringing the Giger elements back into play in the future films.

It's odd on RS's part. If you think about it. He stuck to most of his original ideas about the Alien in Prometheus: The Alien being a bioweapon, the Derelict being a battle wagon. Yet the idea of the Alien getting it's biomechanical look from the Space Jockey was thrown out, or at least, contradicted, with the Deacon.

Considering the Xenomorph is a descendent of the Deacon and the Deacon shares the Xenomorphs ability to assimilate the characteristics of it's host; as demonstrated by its humanoid appearance. Then to be consistent to the idea of the Xenomorph taking it's biomechanical characteristics from the Space Jockey, the Deacon really should have been a biomechaniod.

All this makes me think RS maybe abandoning the idea of the Xenomorph getting it's biomechanical characteristics from the Space Jockey and heading down a different path instead. But I hope that's not case.

shawsbaby

I think much of what people are hoping for in terms of mythology and explanations would be awfully cumbersome in a film script, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed that what's in A:C is either way more simplistic or largely left unsaid. Perhaps supplemental materials will help with some of this, but there's a lot of intricate imagination happening on this forum that, while intriguing, wouldn't play especially well on screen.

Necronomicon II

Shawsbaby makes a good point, I mean I'm hoping for some biomechanical wonderland portrayed at some point; alive and erotically charged, but I think it should just be shown and not explained away, that's if such a thing would ever come to pass, mind you, but I think it'd be wise to just leave enough to make some strong inferences regarding the ultimate origins of the biomechanical elements and leave it at that. Scott seems intent on leading up to it however.

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Mar 15, 2017, 01:00:19 PM
Shawsbaby makes a good point, I mean I'm hoping for some biomechanical wonderland portrayed at some point; alive and erotically charged, but I think it should just be shown and not explained away, that's if such a thing would ever come to pass, mind you, but I think it'd be wise to just leave enough to make some strong inferences regarding the ultimate origins of the biomechanical elements and leave it at that. Scott seems intent on leading up to it however.

Quote from: shawsbaby on Mar 15, 2017, 12:38:10 PM
I think much of what people are hoping for in terms of mythology and explanations would be awfully cumbersome in a film script, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed that what's in A:C is either way more simplistic or largely left unsaid. Perhaps supplemental materials will help with some of this, but there's a lot of intricate imagination happening on this forum that, while intriguing, wouldn't play especially well on screen.

I understand your points. But its just a bit of harmless fun. I don't think people, I know I'm certainly not, are really expecting Covenant to match up to some of the more complex fan speculation.

I don't necessarily agree though, that some of these ideas wouldn't be achievable on screen.

Part of good writing and film making is the ability to express complex ideas in easy to follow ways, that even a general audience could understand.

Unless their trying to be deliberately ambiguous to create mystery, its normally just lazy writing why ideas aren't fully fleshed out on screen. Lets hope Covenant doesn't fall into the latter category.

shawsbaby

I of course don't disagree that it's possible to achieve some expository complexity in a script, but I think there's a lot of wishful thinking that there's more to what we've seen/been told through leaks than there actually is. My hope is that they went for more direct explanations as a way of healing some of the narrative gaps that Lindelof was all too eager to create in Prometheus, rather than taking the path of least resistance to making a sequel that pleased those who just want to see great Xeno horror again while having a superficial connection to the Prometheus storyline.

I for one am still very, very excited about A:C and have enjoyed what I've read. Would I have personally, as a writer, come up with a different take on this sequel? Absolutely. As a fan of the series, am I eager to see what's sure to be a lot of fun and scary, if not all that smart or game-changing for the franchise? Absolutely.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 15, 2017, 12:33:24 PM
It's odd on RS's part. If you think about it. He stuck to most of his original ideas about the Alien in Prometheus: The Alien being a bioweapon, the Derelict being a battle wagon. Yet the idea of the Alien getting it's biomechanical look from the Space Jockey was thrown out, or at least, contradicted, with the Deacon.

Not if the Engineers don't end up actually being the Space Jockeys. I understand that as far as we're concerned now, Space Jockeys = Engineers but we can cling to hope, right?

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Mar 15, 2017, 01:00:19 PM

It's not unreasonable of me to hold onto hope that we'll see an entire Giger-esque landscape or world?

Necronomicon II

Yeah I wouldn't rule it out, if Seagers says we're edging into the fully fledged Giger stuff I'd like to think that Scott would embrace it.

Pvt. Himmel

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed