Jenette Goldstein as Private Vasquez in Aliens

Started by Gilfryd, Oct 09, 2020, 04:38:35 PM

Author
Jenette Goldstein as Private Vasquez in Aliens (Read 10,222 times)

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2020, 01:24:03 AM
Quote from: Highland on Oct 12, 2020, 11:33:27 AM
I suppose my only gripe with the article is that it assumes tough women must be something other than just tough women.
Nobody, even the article, assumes Ripley is anything other than a tough woman.

Who mentioned Ripley.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2020, 07:31:11 AM
Exactly. I was never one to get up in arms about "forced diversity" or anything like that (rolling my eyes right now), but I was always ignorant of the positive effect it has and why it's so damn important. It was reading how accurate representation effected people who are generally unrepresented that really opened my eyes to why it's so important. I wish I'd have saved the main one but I've long since lost it - it was about the gay storyline in Supergirl. I'll have to try to find it - but this is the other one I always think about.

Diego Luna shares emotional story about why representation matters

Here it is!

Positive LGBTQ representation in media really can change lives. This touching story proves it

It matters folks.

Immortan Jonesy

I've seen the light, finally. Thanks.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2020, 01:51:53 PM
Did anyone actually read the f**king article or did they just stop at the small section about how it's kind of unfortunate that the Latinx character was played by a white woman in brown face and assume the entire thing was a hit piece? ???

The majority of the article is about how Vasquez is a remarkably progressive character in terms of gender identity and how she's regrettably overlooked in those regards decades later. The title is largely click bait focusing on a small aspect of the article which really does its main talking point a disservice.

Also, this. It's a damn clickbait headline that has very little to actually do with the article. Is the brown-face a problem? Yeah, because it happened. It wouldn't - or it shouldn't - happen today. Fortunately it wasn't done with any sense of malice. The article itself is very much a celebration of Vasquez as a character, and quite rightfully so.

Immortan Jonesy

Wait! There is something worse than functional illiteracy. Oh yeah; not read at all... or stop at the biased headline.

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Oct 13, 2020, 08:24:59 AM
I suppose my only gripe with the article is that it assumes tough women must be something other than just tough women.

Who mentioned Ripley.
If the thrust of the article was "tough women are more than just tough women" you'd expect Ripley to get lumped in, being a tough woman.

People reading into Vasquez is about her particular portrayal, not a blanket statement on tough women in general.

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2020, 12:46:57 PM

Who mentioned Ripley.
If the thrust of the article was "tough women are more than just tough women" you'd expect Ripley to get lumped in, being a tough woman.

People reading into Vasquez is about her particular portrayal, not a blanket statement on tough women in general.

Its a great performance. Don't think I personally read much into it other than she's a bad ass. Cpl Ferro was of the same cut with less screen time.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 13, 2020, 12:16:59 PM
Wait! There is something worse than functional illiteracy. Oh yeah; not read at all... or stop at the biased headline.

But... that'd make too much sense!

AliceApocalypse

The article really brought out how an actor/actress can really develop a character.  Even though I couldn't relate to her specifically, I could appreciate another strong woman to look up to in films growing up regardless of the expected norms.

Vasquez is awesome, the writer reminds us of this:

razeak

Did anyone of that ethnic heritage audition for the part? I doubt we would ever know.

It's a great character, with a good performance in a great movie.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Oct 13, 2020, 01:22:58 AM
I still don%u2019t get how people can watch movies these days and instantly go after the race of the character or who played them. When I%u2019m watching a movie I really don%u2019t care if it%u2019s an Asian playing a white guy or transgender playing a wheelchair bound detective...just watch the damn movie. Ugh...

I totally agree. I get that it can be important to "minorities" to feel represented, but it often opens the door for so much excess afterwards...

And trust me I'm from a minority that is very unpopular in the world right now lol, and I clearly don't feel this need at all. The need I feel is to watch good movies, with good storytelling and interesting characters, no matter what their gender/ethnicity is.

PS : Vasquez is f**king great !

Local Trouble

I rather enjoy the diverse representation.  What I don't enjoy is the somewhat recent trend of studios, filmmakers, showrunners and actors being so self-congratulatory about it.  It's a bit patronizing.

TC

I feel like audiences are far more interested in all the behind-the-scenes "making of" stuff these days. When I was a kid, movies were a lot more mysterious in how they got made, which all added to the immersion of the film viewing experience, separating it from real life.

Nowadays, .namely thanks to the internet, all the nuts and bolts of what goes into making a film is freely available to the general public, so if the general public is interested in the politics of diversity (and large parts of it is), then the "magic of the movies" no longer works to keep it insulated as this other imaginary realm, untouched by real-world concerns.

TC

Vasquez, J

Quote from: Highland on Oct 13, 2020, 02:01:55 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 13, 2020, 12:46:57 PM

Who mentioned Ripley.

Its a great performance. Don't think I personally read much into it other than she's a bad ass. Cpl Ferro was of the same cut with less screen time.

Don't forget Dietrich too! she was pretty bad-ass

Local Trouble

Yeah, the way she lit up Frost was amazing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed