Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People"

Started by Stolen, Jun 21, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People" (Read 35,851 times)

Thomas H.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 25, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 25, 2016, 10:23:39 AM
That really is the most untrue statement of the year. I'm young, 34, and feel quite offended now. I love Alien and Prometheus, equally. For both movies, effects are part of the reason. Funny, how Alien doesn't have shiny CGI effects and Prometheus does....

What can I say, I like ruffling feathers. Me an' that rabbit fella, total assholes. People get so easily offended on here. Crack a joke or two about people who smoke pot and certain individuals get all up in arms.  :P

But I was referring more to the 14 - 25 crowd. Kids in other words. Have you ever encountered a teenager with good taste before?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2016, 10:11:29 AM
Yeah, I can't really agree with that assessment 8th.

Don't make me dig up all your old posts from when you were a wee lad in order to prove my statement Corporal.  :P  ;)

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 25, 2016, 03:43:31 PM
Oh, and side note.... So far, the newer, younger fans seem to be the ones who love this movie, and atleast like it. It's been my experience that it's mostly the older guard, who expected a movie almost identical to Alien/Aliens, that were disappointed. I love this movie for being feeling sometimes the same, but mostly completely different.

^See, I'm not the only asshole on here!

Anyway, if it isn't an age issue then it must be an IQ issue.  :laugh:

There's rufflin' feathers, and there's simply being an asshole because you can't actually keep an intelligent discussion and just shout very loud to make yourself seem clever. Donald Trump comes to mind now......

But yes, you truly come across as someone that has a particular level of IQ. This is the point where I insert the laughing emoticon to make myself seem extra clever/smart, right?

BishopShouldGo

Prometheus was awesome. I wish people would admit that they didn't like it because it wasn't about gooey monsters slashing people up in ugly, crushed-black corridors. You didn't hate it because Vickers ran in a straight line, you hated it because it wasn't an action-horror film.

Giger Beast

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 25, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 25, 2016, 10:23:39 AM
That really is the most untrue statement of the year. I'm young, 34, and feel quite offended now. I love Alien and Prometheus, equally. For both movies, effects are part of the reason. Funny, how Alien doesn't have shiny CGI effects and Prometheus does....

What can I say, I like ruffling feathers. Me an' that rabbit fella, total assholes. People get so easily offended on here. Crack a joke or two about people who smoke pot and certain individuals get all up in arms.  :P

But I was referring more to the 14 - 25 crowd. Kids in other words. Have you ever encountered a teenager with good taste before?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2016, 10:11:29 AM
Yeah, I can't really agree with that assessment 8th.

Don't make me dig up all your old posts from when you were a wee lad in order to prove my statement Corporal.  :P  ;)

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 25, 2016, 03:43:31 PM
Oh, and side note.... So far, the newer, younger fans seem to be the ones who love this movie, and atleast like it. It's been my experience that it's mostly the older guard, who expected a movie almost identical to Alien/Aliens, that were disappointed. I love this movie for being feeling sometimes the same, but mostly completely different.

^See, I'm not the only asshole on here!

Anyway, if it isn't an age issue then it must be an IQ issue.  :laugh:

Whelp, I'm 16 and I love Prometheus. Of course I see it's flaws, and I think that everybody who likes this movie does as well, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. As someone else here said, the pros far outweigh the cons.

As a young person I can confirm that young people aren't as easily swayed by special effects as many think we are. What I look for in a movie is a great story, interesting characters, good music, cinematography, etc. what I'm saying is that, as George Lucas once shockingly said, special effects without a good story makes for a shitty movie (paraphrasing). I don't love Prometheus for the special effects, however a lot of the practical effects in the movie certainly enforce my enjoyment.

I can speak for most, not all, of my teenage friends when I say that they have better taste than you would think.

Nostromo

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 25, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
I'm 45, intelligent, and I like Prometheus quite a bit. Of course it has its flaws, but I find the film to be an enjoyable sensory experience.

(I still think Holloway looks more like a guy who would pants you in front of your high school crush than a scientist, however.)

I'm 42, intelligent, and I like Prometheus quite a bit. Of course it has its flaws, but I find the film to be an enjoyable sensory experience. 😄

Ok so the snake part was total crap and the Fifield scene should have been the one in the deleted scenes but the damn movie is friggin great and could have been a lot better if the deacon evolved and went after Shaw...

I'm an Astronomy & Space fanatic as well as loving adventure so for me this film was almost perfect. People don't like it because there was not enough guns and action or what exactly? I think it opened up the whole Alien franchise to almost endless possibilities.

LordCassusSnow

LordCassusSnow

The pros of this movie outweighs the cons? Are you for real? Ill just put you folks in the Batman v Superman corner. You love it because its shiny and big while the real fans hate it because real fans know who batman and superman are supposed to be just like Alien fans know what an Alien movie is supposed to be. Even Riddles himself is trying to rehash Prometheus with Covenant. Why do you think its called Alien Covenant? No Aliens means a shit Alien movie. Riddles is a businesses man and after Fankamps Alien heavy movie was announced and met with positive reception the only right move was to make this movie xeno heavy as well. Even going so far as to change the tital to Alien. Again, James Cameron felt it doesnt work continuity wise. Lance Henrikson still isn't sure what he saw and everyone who isnt a hardcore alien fan who i lend the movie to say the same. The only thing they really enjoyed was the visuals. And David 8.

I take hate back. Hate is too strong of a word in this case. I dont hate Prometheus. I just rather watch any of the other 4 Alien movies. At least i get some actual Xenos and Sigourney Weaver bein a bad ass.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Thomas H. on Jun 25, 2016, 05:40:29 PM
There's rufflin' feathers, and there's simply being an asshole because you can't actually keep an intelligent discussion and just shout very loud to make yourself seem clever. Donald Trump comes to mind now......

But yes, you truly come across as someone that has a particular level of IQ. This is the point where I insert the laughing emoticon to make myself seem extra clever/smart, right?

Oh dear, I see I have offended you again. Pity the ignore button doesn't work. Will it help if I send some flowers?

I'm 45, intelligent, and I like Prometheus quite a bit. Of course it has its flaws, but I find the film to be an enjoyable sensory experience.

(I still think Holloway looks more like a guy who would pants you in front of your high school crush than a scientist, however.)

He does doesn't he? He was a much older and more emotionally mature guy in the Engineers script though. Fifield and Millburn also act like they should still be in high school.

But seriously guys, if you enjoy Prometheus then good for you. We all have our guilty pleasures. I really enjoy the visuals as well but taken as a whole it's simply not a timeless classic no matter how you may try and spin it. In many ways it's a lot like Alien 3. A film that could have been really great but ultimately let down by a sub-par script, inconsistent editing and a general lack of direction in what exactly it wanted to be.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Jun 25, 2016, 09:34:58 PM
The pros of this movie outweighs the cons? Are you for real? Ill just put you folks in the Batman v Superman corner. You love it because its shiny and big while the real fans hate it because real fans know who batman and superman are supposed to be just like Alien fans know what an Alien movie is supposed to be.

I'm gonna try to avoid arguing with you because you seem pretty consistently angry and dim, which is an ugly combination, but I couldn't let these two points go. I've been an Alien fan since 1979. Have you? It and Blade Runner are my two favourite films, and I like Prometheus, warts and all. I'll stand by that.

Batman and Superman, on the other hand, can go pound sand. Superhero movies truly are for the lowest common denominator. And I'll stand by that, too.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I'm 38, a total smartass and I like Prometheus quite a bit. Yea I may not be old fart 40'ish but the 30's most be represented, yo.

Most of the people on the Prometheus were mercenaries and Indiana Jones types. What a shock they royally f**ked everything up.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 25, 2016, 09:43:43 PMHe was a much older and more emotionally mature guy in the Engineers script though.

I so wish they had kept that element. It would be so much more intriguing of a relationship. My guess is they changed it because they were worried about accusations of sexism. Too bad... it's not like this was gonna be Saturn 3, or something!  :D

LordCassusSnow

Mr clemens, i made my points. Theres no point in arguing the obvious so i understand your backing down. As for your opinion on superhero movies, really? Your gonna get on my case without any real argument and then totally slam everyone who likes superhero movies? For shame sir. If people like Prometheus thats fine. I collect the comics and research the new lore myself. But to scream your love for this movie from the mountains and put it in your top 5 favorites of all time is just unreal. Thats when i gotta ask why.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Jun 25, 2016, 10:12:10 PMto scream your love for this movie from the mountains and put it in your top 5 favorites of all time is just unreal. Thats when i gotta ask why.

I wasn't actually screaming anything. I said I "like the film quite a bit". And it's nowhere near in my top five - that must have been somebody else who said that. As for the rest... ah, it's Saturday night. I've got stuff to do.

windebieste

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 25, 2016, 09:46:05 PMI've been an Alien fan since 1979. Have you?

BWAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!1!

Who cares if Riddles wants to scare the shit out of his audience when Mr. Clemens does such a better job.

Rarely, is it a good time to pull that argument out of the deck but good on you for doing so.  If you really want to get full mileage out of that fact you can always say "I've been an Alien fan since 1979.  Have you?  Which means I've been a fan since before you were born.  ...probably before your parents even met!" ...and then cap it off with "I was a fan before 'ALIENS' even existed!" just to put 'em in their proper space.  Of course, it works best when you know their age. 

You just got to be careful how you use it as it's most powerful when used in jest.  Especially in a social gathering with a group of people drinking at the bar.  The guffaws will be worth it!

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 25, 2016, 09:46:05 PM
Superhero movies truly are for the lowest common denominator. And I'll stand by that, too.

Most super hero movies are glorified stupid.  Loads of fun, sure.  ...but still stupid.  As far as "the lowest common denominator" goes, 'Average' is not an achievement - it's a target demographic aimed at by marketing analysts. 

LOL.

-Windebieste.

426Buddy

Funny how many people on this board and in this fan base judge and cut each other down based on something so subjective such as taste in films. Especially great how everyone thinks they get to decide who is a real fan and who is not.

LordCassusSnow makes offensive and rude remarks in most of his posts... Just an observation.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Behave yourselves!

Now with that out of the way; some people think Alien³ is the best alien movie ever made.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 25, 2016, 06:29:56 PM

I'm 42, intelligent, and I like Prometheus quite a bit. Of course it has its flaws, but I find the film to be an enjoyable sensory experience. 😄

Ok so the snake part was total crap and the Fifield scene should have been the one in the deleted scenes but the damn movie is friggin great and could have been a lot better if the deacon evolved and went after Shaw...

I'm an Astronomy & Space fanatic as well as loving adventure so for me this film was almost perfect. People don't like it because there was not enough guns and action or what exactly? I think it opened up the whole Alien franchise to almost endless possibilities.

The snake part is the BEST part. I love how Milburn dies. Best death in a quasi-horror film, ever. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed