AvP2 and Reshade 2.0

Started by yaji, Apr 21, 2016, 06:53:45 AM

Author
AvP2 and Reshade 2.0 (Read 17,970 times)

JP

JP

Well lithtech is an unbelievable bad and unefficient engine at the point that even modern machines will struggle to render more than a few hundred polies so unsurprisingly adding a higly demanding shader on top of it will make your fps count crawl to unplayable levels. I had a talk with someone about porting this game to lithtech jupiter and it's not as a farfetched idea as one would think.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: JP on Apr 23, 2016, 02:35:35 AMI had a talk with someone about porting this game to lithtech jupiter and it's not as a farfetched idea as one would think.

Already attempted. Would require Lithtech engine licensing to compile.
They were friendly enough to talk to us... for licensing both Talon and Jupiter Ex.
Then Warner Bros. happened and bought Monolith.
We never got a call back.

I'm sure there must exist some poney trick to mod a game (like NOLF2) and transfer all AVP2 asset. They share almost the same DNA after all.
But even that would be soooo much work that I'm not even sure It's worth it for the little you gain since shadders (normal / bump map) were added to Jupiter Extended which is an entirely different engine (try it you'll see) and despite the release of both game source code (fear) and game toolkit (Dedit, Model Edit) the assets can not be entirely transferred (like animations, which are the most important) making the port simply not possible to an actual correct game engine.

Best would be to start fresh on a new engine / new game.
Stay small, low quiet about it with a good team, everyone having their assignment.
We tried that too, didn't go really far. I have a Predator 3D Mesh with 30% of its rig.
Someone implemented Motion Tracker code.
I also had dm_alley partially remade, we got models of APC, pulse rifle, sentry guns.
UE3, but we were too few to work on it and UE4 is out now.

I dunno what's next... the real deal would have been to have Rebellion's Public Tools and game source code for AVP2010.
This game is full of wonder! It's a shame the gameplay and story felt very short because every little details (the aliens tails movement, clean wallwalk, FX and shadders) are absolutely wonderful in this game.

Reshade is not much but, it feels good to replay avp2 campaign and custom SP maps (I just finished the fear series again) with reshade.
It gives new perspectives.

malik22

malik22

yaji could you make a installation guide im completely lost here thank you

yaji

yaji

Hi, it goes like that:

1. Install and run dgVoodoo.
2. Add AvP2 folder to "Config folder / running instance"
3. Use following options in DirectX tab: dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated card and select 1024MB of VRAM.
4. Apply.
5. Run AvP2.exe, go to "Display" and in "Display" sub-window select dgVoodoo Dx Wrapper
6. Install ReShade 2.0
7. Go to "profiles" tab and click on + (I know, the gui of this tool is horrible). Add AvP2 to the list.
8. Go to shaders tab, select shaders you want, and save.
9. Click on shader you want to configure and go to "shader settings" tab, make some changes and save.
10. Start the game and enjoy :)

malik22

malik22

Quote from: yaji on Apr 23, 2016, 02:28:54 PM
Hi, it goes like that:

1. Install and run dgVoodoo.
2. Add AvP2 folder to "Config folder / running instance"
3. Use following options in DirectX tab: dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated card and select 1024MB of VRAM.
4. Apply.
5. Run AvP2.exe, go to "Display" and in "Display" sub-window select dgVoodoo Dx Wrapper
6. Install ReShade 2.0
7. Go to "profiles" tab and click on + (I know, the gui of this tool is horrible). Add AvP2 to the list.
8. Go to shaders tab, select shaders you want, and save.
9. Click on shader you want to configure and go to "shader settings" tab, make some changes and save.
10. Start the game and enjoy :)

thank you yaji only issue i have is when i press the + button to add the avp.exe nothing happens never shows up in the profile tab and when you say install dgvodoo and reshade you mean extract the dll files to my avp folder correct?

yaji

yaji

You don't need to copy them to AvP2 folder. The apps will copy their ddls to the game directory automatically when you configure everything correctly.

And about Reshade, can you see this ?

https://i.imgur.com/LCXg6eB.png

malik22

malik22

Quote from: yaji on Apr 23, 2016, 07:32:50 PM
You don't need to copy them to AvP2 folder. The apps will copy their ddls to the game directory automatically when you configure everything correctly.

And about Reshade, can you see this ?

https://i.imgur.com/LCXg6eB.png

yes i see that yaji so i dont have to put the reshade files in the game directory either?

Olde

Olde

JP's right. The game's laggy enough as it is:

Imagine it with all the shader effects going on. Rofl. There's no denying these effects makes the game look very good, but it's not optimized to run well with them.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Olde on Apr 23, 2016, 10:09:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTsa2j15Yw

:laugh: That gave me a good laugh. I don't play it online anymore but I still remember those days.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 23, 2016, 01:57:19 AM

RMB is awesome, and for some reason, increases a bit the frame rate (it doesn't make sense).

It looks beautiful though, a whole new breath to the game.
its very strange but I have a theory
ms 2.2 Change 2D surfaces menus and other windows should have little effect on framerate.
additionally bypass/ Fix ClearType for all fonts.
it may be that not conflict?
I remember having a same significant drop in fps on my laptop with Windows 8 where only way for play is in windowed mode.
Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 23, 2016, 01:00:29 PM

I'm sure there must exist some poney trick to mod a game (like NOLF2) and transfer all AVP2 asset.
Well you do know AvP2 and Tron 2.0 share the same files etc?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/327740/discussions/0/490124466459442150/

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 24, 2016, 02:05:22 AM
I don't play it online anymore but I still remember those days.
so do i , I don't play it online anymore.
can I ask you why you stopped?

yaji

yaji

Quote from: Olde on Apr 23, 2016, 10:09:26 PM
JP's right. The game's laggy enough as it is:

Imagine it with all the shader effects going on. Rofl. There's no denying these effects makes the game look very good, but it's not optimized to run well with them.

Basically, what you showed is network lag, it has not much to do with low frame rate etc. The game runs fine as long as you use SSAO as an Ambient Occlusion algorithm Other ones are a bit too heavy, at least for GTX660 I have. But if you have something faster than that, you should be fine.

Quote from: malik22 on Apr 23, 2016, 09:39:26 PM

yes i see that yaji so i dont have to put the reshade files in the game directory either?

No, those apps will copy their files to AvP2 directory automatically, when you will configure them correctly.

malik22

malik22

did everything you said and there no effect on the game.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Lucifero on Apr 24, 2016, 06:44:00 AM

Honestly, I don't think the multiplayer is very good. I had some fun times but never as great as AvP'99. I feel single player is more AvP2's strong point; and mapping was more exciting to me.

IXvPRIMUSvXI

IXvPRIMUSvXI

What's that Reshadw 2.0? I wanna See it..:)

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 25, 2016, 03:58:30 AM
Quote from: Lucifero on Apr 24, 2016, 06:44:00 AM

Honestly, I don't think the multiplayer is very good. I had some fun times but never as great as AvP'99. I feel single player is more AvP2's strong point; and mapping was more exciting to me.
De gustibus non disputandum est

depends if you like fast games better avpc.
if you prefer drawing AVP2 be for you

frankly I find that the gameplay of AVP2 is far superior than the old title
and I think this has been one of its major strengths.
I could spend a entire night playing AVP2 multiplayer.
but I can not play more than a half hour with AVPC too much fast especially if your favorite class is alien.

anyway

im curios to use reshade  if work on win 10.

I'll try this later

According to Plutarch the phrase "De gustibus non disputandum est" was uttered by Julius Caesar in front of a plate of asparagus with butter served in the house Valerio Milanese Leone. The Roman generals did not like the dish; In fact, the Romans were accustomed to oil and the butter was considered a food "barbaric". Then Cesare, in front of the embarrassing situation, calmed tempers with the superscription sentence

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed