PredAlien Design Book

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 04, 2020, 09:34:43 AM

Author
PredAlien Design Book (Read 11,218 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

SiL

SiL

Some of those are terrifyingly bad.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

^ Glass half empty.

And some of those were terrifyingly good!  Wow, was that a blast to flip through!  :)

SiL

SiL

The good ones I'd already seen. I was shocked at how bad some of the other alternatives that hadn't quite seen the light of day were.

Not a comment on the quality of the art, just the concepts themselves.

Kradan

Kradan

Idea is great but they probably picked not the best movie for it

Huh

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 04, 2020, 11:06:44 AM
The good ones I'd already seen. I was shocked at how bad some of the other alternatives that hadn't quite seen the light of day were.

Not a comment on the quality of the art, just the concepts themselves.

Well, as that famous phrase teaches us...  PredAlien beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)

SiL

SiL

Yes, which is why I haven't posted any needlessly dismissive comments about you liking some of the designs :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 04, 2020, 11:11:28 AM

Huh

Fox had a period where they were thinking of the PredAlien using Predator technology...

SiL

SiL

The very first draft described it as having a Predator body.

The Straus Bros said it was a battle to try and get it to be 80-20 Alien to Predator rather than 20-80.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2020, 08:04:01 AM
The very first draft described it as having a Predator body.

At least it was offed within 5 minutes in that draft...small victories.

But to be fair, I do think it would have been a massive cop-out to have a crossover without the PredAlien. But like most of the things to do with the AvP films, it just wasn't done correctly.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 05, 2020, 08:02:50 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 04, 2020, 11:11:28 AM

Huh

Fox had a period where they were thinking of the PredAlien using Predator technology...

But it doesn't look like a Predator technology - it looks like a pointy stick to me. I actually would've not minded Predalien using something primitive like that (even why would he ? he already has claws and tail and teeth). I think it somewhat fits with "back to basics", "primitive" and "tribal" nature of  Predators and also goes into DNA reflex more than just appearance. It's not unprecedented - we saw Abomination decapitating people in AvP 2010 (I know game came out 3 years later but whatever) Hell, I would've even like to see Predalien trying to capture locals or Wolf in woods with these boyscout traps a la Dutch-style. I mean, it would've been crazy and ridiculous, but at least it would've been ... Idk, interesting to watch. I don't think it would've made movie worse than it already was

My real gripe with that design is that it looks more like Hulk than like Alien

426Buddy

426Buddy

Personally the effects of the DNA reflex should be slight, like the runner to the original creature.

The idea that Predator DNA is somehow more "dominant" and therefore causes more of a hybrid alien is garbage.. to me anyway.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 05, 2020, 11:21:10 AM
The idea that Predator DNA is somehow more "dominant" and therefore causes more of a hybrid alien is garbage.. to me anyway.

Nah, I like it. Different strokes, I guess

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't necessarily like the idea of more "dominant" DNA but I think what it can inherit has the possibility of being interesting when done right. I think it can go further than just some difference in appearances. It's why I find Dust to Dust interesting. I think the fan theory that Big Chap inherited some attraction to Lambert as an explanation for the "rape" to be intriguing.

Would I want to see it go as far as the Aliens using tools? I'm genuinely not sure.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

On a narrative level it should be less of an Alien and more the "final boss". It should look distinct and be able to do all this wild shit as a result of the Predator DNA. On a narrative and visual level it needs to be distinct because this is the thing you've built up to. It needs to be an abomination because if it's just Big Chap but bigger you're blue balling the audience.

I'm very much against it using tools but a missed opportunity is the Predalien attempting vocal mimicry. That's something which can either be really scary for the Humans or get the drop on the Predator. Like that could be a whole sequence and it kind of sucks they didn't do anything with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed