Would you welcome a third film?

Started by Mala'kak, May 10, 2020, 04:57:15 PM

Author
Would you welcome a third film? (Read 19,757 times)

PredBabe

PredBabe

I'm completely down for a reboot but, unlike others in the thread (and against Ridley Scott's will  :laugh:) I wouldn't mind the story being more in tune with what the Alien Prequels were establishing. Maybe make the Aliens something new for the Predators so that they ultimately seek out to experiment as well as hunt the newfound species. It would offer a completely different angle from the typical 'Predators using and hunting aliens for thousands of years' concept.

At the risk of convoluting the story even more, I would be curious to see how an interaction between a Predator and Engineer would play out. Both species are old and hold themselves above anything else that there would undoubtedly be bloodshed. Maybe we could see the effects of the black goo on a Predator and have that encounter peek the interest of the Predators for that planet... then again, for simplicity's sake, maybe hint to this concept or leave it out entirely.

That aside, I think most would agree that if there's ever another AVP movie, it should take place in the future. And if there's anything that we have learned from the last two movies, it's that the human characters are equally as important in being interesting as well as worthy prey.  Having AVP revolve around a newly colonized planet, to give it an isolated feel, with some Blue Collar Workers as well as some officials that are trained in combat, would be a pretty good combo of characters.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 16, 2020, 03:52:43 PM
I'm completely down for a reboot but, unlike others in the thread (and against Ridley Scott's will  :laugh:) I wouldn't mind the story being more in tune with what the Alien Prequels were establishing. Maybe make the Aliens something new for the Predators so that they ultimately seek out to experiment as well as hunt the newfound species. It would offer a completely different angle from the typical 'Predators using and hunting aliens for thousands of years' concept.

I hadn't really thought about it from the angle of them having something new to hunt. I still wouldn't want to lean into Scott's "new" angle, but perhaps something new derived from the Alien. Perhaps seeming the Predators deal with the Neomorphs could be interesting!

QuoteAt the risk of convoluting the story even more, I would be curious to see how an interaction between a Predator and Engineer would play out. Both species are old and hold themselves above anything else that there would undoubtedly be bloodshed. Maybe we could see the effects of the black goo on a Predator and have that encounter peek the interest of the Predators for that planet... then again, for simplicity's sake, maybe hint to this concept or leave it out entirely.

Engineer vs. Predator would be something I'd be interested in seeing, especially if it played out different to how it was presented in Fire and Stone. Would love to see them actually go up against something with comparable technology!

Perfect-Organism

Just not interested in merging the Engineers with the predators at all.  One is high-idea science fiction and the other is low-brow.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 17, 2020, 12:10:25 PM
Just not interested in merging the Engineers with the predators at all.  One is high-idea science fiction and the other is low-brow.

Ah, the my-big-puffy-pale-humanoid-alien is higher brow than your-big-leathery-mandibled-humanoid-alien stance.

SiL

SiL

Yeah the idea that humans are the centre of the universe is incredibly low brow for science fiction. I like how the Predator franchise makes us just another species in a universe of strange and alien life, rather than the direct creation of gods who are also humans. That's more religion than sci fi.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Sounds like our leathery skinned friend needs to f*ck up the Engineer's "perfect composure"!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 17, 2020, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 16, 2020, 03:52:43 PM

I hadn't really thought about it from the angle of them having something new to hunt. I still wouldn't want to lean into Scott's "new" angle, but perhaps something new derived from the Alien. Perhaps seeming the Predators deal with the Neomorphs could be interesting!

QuoteAt the risk of convoluting the story even more, I would be curious to see how an interaction between a Predator and Engineer would play out. Both species are old and hold themselves above anything else that there would undoubtedly be bloodshed. Maybe we could see the effects of the black goo on a Predator and have that encounter peek the interest of the Predators for that planet... then again, for simplicity's sake, maybe hint to this concept or leave it out entirely.

Engineer vs. Predator would be something I'd be interested in seeing, especially if it played out different to how it was presented in Fire and Stone. Would love to see them actually go up against something with comparable technology!

I like the idea of a neomorph being added to the mix especially if an Engineer is involved.
Seeing a Predator go up against another species that is equally as large and technologically advanced could be awesome if written and done right.
If we're really going to have a crossover of these two franchises, then why not play around with different concepts between the two universes? It may be refreshing to see that added lore. 

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 17, 2020, 01:42:17 PM

The stance is not misguided.  One species just hunts without greater purpose.  The other creates.  The difference in class is not in what they look like, but in what they do.  Anyway, it's a totally fair point that some people want the two species to cross paths, but it's not for me.

Voodoo, I know you're a Predator fan but surely you can see that the whole idea of the Predator was intended to be somewhat campy, whereas Ridley Scott was really trying to elevate the Aliens series through Prometheus.  There's a different tone here, that can't be denied.  Putting the two together would be like as if we were in the middle of a scene from Arrival, and suddenly E.T. Walks out onto the scene and says "E.T. Phone home...". It's just not a fit.

I hope I didn't come across as belittling your interests here.  While I'm not a big Predator fan, I can recognize that it is its own thing and it must be treated on its own terms.  It does what it does really well.  It's just not the same thing.

Ah, the my-big-puffy-pale-humanoid-alien is higher brow than your-big-leathery-mandibled-humanoid-alien stance.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l46CDHTqbmnGZyxKo/giphy.gif

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 18, 2020, 12:27:53 AM
The stance is not misguided.  One species just hunts without greater purpose.  The other creates.  The difference in class is not in what they look like, but in what they do.
What's particularly "high brow" about creation exactly?

Creation and destruction are two sides of the same coin -- a point Prometheus makes.

What higher purpose is there for the Engineer's creation? The only answer the films give is "because they can." How is that profound?

Prometheus even ends with the Engineer as little more than a stumbling, albino Frankenstein's Monster, lurching and groaning as it chases down the heroine. There's nothing deep or profound there. In fact, whatever the intent, the execution of the Engineer has distinctly less character or nuance than the Predator, which is successfully shown -- rather than said to be -- an intelligent, thinking being with history and culture

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2020, 12:38:01 AM
Prometheus even ends with the Engineer as little more than a stumbling, albino Frankenstein's Monster, lurching and groaning as it chases down the heroine. There's nothing deep or profound there. In fact, whatever the intent, the execution of the Engineer has distinctly less character or nuance than the Predator, which is successfully shown -- rather than said to be -- an intelligent, thinking being with history and culture

I have to agree there. Pretty eyes aside  :laugh: Scar is a character unlike the last Engineer, who is just a dumb angry monster.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I definitely wish there was more nuance to the portrayal of Prometheus' Final Engineer. I'm still rather torn on the whole Space Jockey to Engineer reinterpretation, but conceptually Prometheus appeals to me even though it is contradictory to many of the things that I love about Alien. The film is a fascinating mess, and so is my relationship with it. :D The execution is where all of my real problems with Prometheus stem from, and the Final Engineer is a sort of perfect microcosm of that.

I love the moment when he rips off David's head and kills Weyland (and am glad they cut his 'alien' speech) but I wish he was less generic movie monster in his pursuit of Shaw.

There are some small beats in the longer version of this sequence that would have helped a little bit, I think. Though the movie still would be riddled with a thousand other problems.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 18, 2020, 12:42:51 AM

I have to agree there. Pretty eyes aside  :laugh: Scar is a character unlike the last Engineer, who is just a dumb angry monster.

Oh come on, he just woke up!

What's particularly "high brow" about creation exactly?

LOLOLOL   :laugh:

Seriously?  You don't think there's anything fancy about our universe which may have been created in any way you choose to subscribe to, but created nonetheless?  Ain't life grand?

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 18, 2020, 01:15:07 AM
Yeah, I definitely wish there was more nuance to the portrayal of Prometheus' Final Engineer. I'm still rather torn on the whole Space Jockey to Engineer reinterpretation, but conceptually Prometheus appeals to me even though it is contradictory to many of the things that I love about Alien. The film is a fascinating mess, and so is my relationship with it. :D The execution is where all of my real problems with Prometheus stem from, and the Final Engineer is a sort of perfect microcosm of that.

I love the moment when he rips off David's head and kills Weyland (and am glad they cut his 'alien' speech) but I wish he was less generic movie monster in his pursuit of Shaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTR1xwak3Fw

There are some small beats in the longer version of this sequence that would have helped a little bit, I think. Though the movie still would be riddled with a thousand other problems.

I so wish we had this extra footage in the film.  Also the dialogue with David would have added more dimension.  I agree that this is missing.  But it somehow kept the mystery of these beings intact, mostly.  Mostly.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 18, 2020, 12:27:53 AM
The stance is not misguided.  One species just hunts without greater purpose.  The other creates.  The difference in class is not in what they look like, but in what they do.

Yet, getting down to brass tax, as I watch Prometheus, this Engineer ends up being, as SiL effectivelying described... "little more than a stumbling, albino Frankenstein's Monster, lurching and groaning as it chases down the heroine."

And I see less complexity in that, than the Elder in P2...

QuoteAnyway, it's a totally fair point that some people want the two species to cross paths, but it's not for me.

That's 100% fair. But that's not what I was responding too, but rather your posting "Just not interested in merging the Engineers with the predators at all.  One is high-idea science fiction and the other is low-brow." You were comparing the beings.

Artistic quality, tone, cinematography, etc. can all be measured and compared. But when your talking Engineers vs Predators specifically in a movie ironically similar to AvP in many ways, what we didn't get with the Engineers is high-idea science fiction. Not the way I see it. I'm unabashedly a fan of Prometheus, but The Monolith and the Starchild, the Engineer, is not. Not what we got on film. Not even close. You need tons of corrective and expansive EU content or a clever imagination to connect those far away dots to "high-idea science fiction." The way I see it, Prometheus is much closer to AvP than it is to 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 17, 2020, 11:12:26 PM
Sounds like our leathery skinned friend needs to f*ck up the Engineer's "perfect composure"!
https://i.imgur.com/6DZEmeT.jpg

:laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 18, 2020, 02:29:21 AM

Yeah maybe  :laugh:

But seriously, that Engineer was as deep as infected Fifield...

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 18, 2020, 03:11:52 AM

Makes me think, if they wanted to go pure brute force with the Final Engineer, it would have been pretty cool to see him partially infected by the pahtogen and slowly mutating/deforming/deconstructing as he pursues Shaw. Perhaps even "seeding" part of the land he walks on as he goes, bringing new primordial life to LV-223 as the pathogen and his DNA mix.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2020, 02:58:09 AM
The way I see it, Prometheus is much closer to AvP than it is to 2001 A Space Odyssey.

And yet, Scar is more like a character than the Engineer. Hell! neither of them speak! but Anderson knew how to make a character out of that Predator. Unlike grandpa Riddles, who was just being pretentious.

And you know what? I absolutely love that you brought the star child. Monoliths are the definitive "how you should run a creator in scifi".

Cheers!   ;) ;D

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 18, 2020, 03:16:17 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 18, 2020, 03:11:52 AM

Makes me think, if they wanted to go pure brute force with the Final Engineer, it would have been pretty cool to see him partially infected by the pahtogen and slowly mutating/deforming/deconstructing as he pursues Shaw. Perhaps even "seeding" part of the land he walks on as he goes, bringing new primordial life to LV-223 as the pathogen and his DNA mix.

I agree. If you're going to make it uncivilized, at least make it scary.  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed