Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget?

Started by The Runner, Mar 26, 2019, 02:59:46 AM

Author
Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget? (Read 13,989 times)

RabidNinja

I agree with the previous comment; the budget wasn't the issue. Sure, 20 million dollars less than the first film shouldn't delete the f**king sun, but between that, the teeny-bopper characters that I couldn't care less about in a 2 hour film in some rural american town, and the inexperienced directors, It failed on it's own legs, despite how much it made back, it's still considered to be the worst film in the series, almost on par with The Predator.

The Cruentus

I have always believed that budget has little to do with a movie's quality, I mean in terms of story, acting and other qualities of course.
There are lots of brilliant movies made on small budgets and loads of stinkers made on big budgets. That being said, due to inflation and other demands, movies do cost more to make these days.. Not excuse of course since a good crew should find ways to be creative when they are on a limited budget.

Darwinsgirl

I think the quality of the fan films we are seeing attests to the fact budget doesn't necessarily make films better.

SM

Big budgets mean you can afford the best actors and technical people. If you don't have a script and producers and/ or a director guiding that script you could be in trouble.

Immortan Jonesy

I wonder how many here think AVP is better than Prometheus. The latter had a superior cinematography, a legendary director, A-list actors and a big budget. But the writing & editing were not on the same level as the aforementioned. Not to mention that both films share some similarities, albeit with a different approach:

AVP: Male rites of passages to become man (Predator Style)

Prometheus: Creation.

SM

Everything about Prometheus, despite its myriad flaws, is better than AvP.

Voodoo Magic

There is one aspect and one aspect alone I personally find AvP far superior to Prometheus...

Spoiler
[close]

Kradan

Yep ^^^

Prometheus might be objectively a better movie, but AvP is the one I think more fondly about. Maybe because I saw it when I was 4

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus is at the very bottom of my list of Alien movies.

Even the most excruciating parts of Prometheus are better than whatever qualifies as the 'best' parts of AVP.

StrangeShape

I prefer everything about AVP over Prometheus. I like the cinematography better, I like the grand buildup, I love the idea of being isolated on Antarctica. I know Prometheus is a better movie but without an ounce of hesitattion I prefer AVP habds down

Immortan Jonesy

I thought we would reach a consensus, naive of me...Guess both Prometheus and AVP are better for one reason or another. I asked the question because Prometheus shares archetypes with AVP and has a big budget.

SM

What do they build up to in AvP? I thought the constant cutting to the Aliens and Predators sucked all the tension out of it.

SiL

54 minutes of building to 30 minutes of intermittent action.

TheBATMAN

I love Lance Henriksen. But for me, Guy Pearce smashed it as Weyland. The Ted Talk alone had far more substance than all of Charles Bishop Weyland.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jan 07, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
I love Lance Henriksen. But for me, Guy Pearce smashed it as Weyland. The Ted Talk alone had far more substance than all of Charles Bishop Weyland.

I love the TED Talk too, and would be swayed if that was actually part of the film. But it's not in the film we were dealt. So in regards to AvP vs Prometheus, he's my personal Weyland winner. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed