Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 680,836 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I don't love the twist myself, but I also don't see any other way of getting David onboard with believability, perhaps it's more of an issue with the idea surpassing the execution itself though.

I know a number of people may argue the inclusion of the titular Alien's ultimately harmful, but I think the core focus of the story's creation, and so then if it's entirely excluded the point's lost so you move that birth to within the Covenant then.

But this all stated, I do still enjoy the film, for what it is.

Kradan

Kradan

I would've liked Oram's Alien to survive and get on board of Covenant. Idk,  it could've hid somewhere on cargo lift. Or just blend with its surface - like Big Chap on Narcissus . I can sacrifice Alien being choped off by crane but David watching as Oram gives birth to an Alien ?  Nononononono

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 18, 2020, 04:50:14 PM
I don't love the twist myself, but I also don't see any other way of getting David onboard with believability, perhaps it's more of an issue with the idea surpassing the execution itself though.

I personally think if they had used another actor for Walter, say actor Paul Bettany just for an example, it would have worked brilliantly. At the end we learn that David had uploaded/infected his consciousness into Walter.... audiences would have been shocked. They wouldn't have seen that coming.

And maybe even better:  If one is trying to placate that desire to keep Fassbender... Bettany Walter could say he killed David, but the hidden truth is Walter has been infected by David and subsequently allowed David to sneak on the ship. Then, once the pod closes on Daniels as she is about to drift in hypersleep, to her horror, David walks out into view and stands next to Walter. She screams!

Now we have two bad androids!

Evanus

Evanus

I need that Fassbender x Fassbender action though  :-*

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 18, 2020, 06:17:42 PM

I personally think if they had used another actor for Walter, say actor Paul Bettany just for an example, it would have worked brilliantly. At the end we learn that David had uploaded/infected his consciousness into Walter.... audiences would have been shocked. They wouldn't have seen that coming.

And maybe even better:  If one is trying to placate that desire to keep Fassbender... Bettany Walter could say he killed David, but the hidden truth is Walter has been infected by David and subsequently allowed David to sneak on the ship. Then, once the pod closes on Daniels as she is about to drift in hypersleep, to her horror, David walks out into view and stands next to Walter. She screams!

Now that's creative and would've enjoyed that more than what the movie gave us.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I don't know, I think you lose a whole lot of David's infatuation with himself if you cast Walter differently. The two being mirror images, brothers alike in every way, except one is a ruler/creator and the other a servant, is kind of the whole running theme of the film distilled. Sure, the twist would be more "shocking" for the audience if David popped up in a distinctly friendly face, but nothing going into the reveal would have been nearly as effective. 

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yet to me, and what I would perceive as in generally to the masses that saw it, what your describing is not conveyed effectively enough that creates a quandry to make it worthy to keep in such an ineffective twist, some would suggest a sophmoric eyeroll inducing literary trope. That's a tough sell to me and an appropriate answer to the common question: You know you have a script problems when?

But maybe the simplest answer is to keep all that before it, they should have just dropped the twist, if your goal is an intelligent movie with deep themes. A gentle refresher in Writing 101 is needed I think. They needed to figure out a different way to get from B to C. If your evil twin swap twist is obvious and overused, it doesn't work, especially if your goal is a very intelligent product. Toss it.

Of course the situation is muddled with a writer who thinks the twist works, conflicting with a director that says while the swap is hidden, it's intentionally obvious to everyone... except to the main character. Houston, we have a problem.

Just my point of view. No ill will intended to those who enjoy that moment!  :)

Quote from: Evanus on Dec 18, 2020, 06:35:13 PM
I need that Fassbender x Fassbender action though  :-*

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cf56e47c5ba06844b67dca378e043d14/tumblr_inline_partian9Zx1szuhkh_500.gif

Ah, a good point!  :laugh:

Quote from: Master Chief on Dec 18, 2020, 06:44:53 PM
Now that's creative and would've enjoyed that more than what the movie gave us.

Thanks man! Glad you liked it! We all could probably come up with a bunch more of great ideas if we all put our heads together!  :)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 18, 2020, 06:17:42 PM

:o Wow! What a twist, both are good actually. In the movie it's more like "you saw the two Davids, you saw the haircut and later the knife, but that's our little secret 🤫"  :laugh:

But yeah, I know it was supposed to be a twist for the characters and not directed at the audience. But that's quite boring! Wouldn't it be better to surprise the audience too? All I wanted was to feel as surprised as Daniels  :'(

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Thanks Jonesy.  And agreed, the goal should be surprise the audience AND Daniels, versus the audience harshly remarking as they leave the cinema "wow that Daniels was such a stupid character." :-\

That's why I always go back to the excellent writing in Die Hard. When the main villan Hans pretends to be a hostage and our hero John McClane hands him a spare gun, we yell at the screen for the first time barking "John! What are you doing?!"  But then we find out the gun is not loaded, because McClane, like the audience, is not stupid.

It would have been nice to see Daniels, like John, prepared for this, but David was still two steps ahead. Oh well.

Kradan

Kradan

Alien Covenant is not Die Hard. Got it

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 22, 2020, 09:18:27 PM

Yippee ki yay MU-TH-UR f*cker?

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 22, 2020, 09:18:27 PM

Unfortunately Covenant don't have the writing/directing/editing qualities of Die Hard indeed.  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

Eh, whatever. I still dig Covenant and still hven't watched Die Hard

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I still dig The Predator so it's okay  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 22, 2020, 10:46:36 PM
I still dig The Predator so it's okay  :laugh:

You should've started with that !  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed