Sigourney Weaver Talks Prometheus & Alien movies

Started by Darkoo, Dec 15, 2011, 08:00:12 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver Talks Prometheus & Alien movies (Read 19,848 times)

Darkoo

At this point, were it any other actor, we'd be moving on to smaller fry, as surely being in The Biggest Movie Of All Time, would be the defining point of their career. But this is Sigourney "Get away from her you bitch!" Weaver, and for her, "Avatar" isn't even the defining epic sci-fi blockbuster movie series of her career. Nope, there is an elephant in the room, and by elephant, we mean a lethal black xenomorph with concentrated acid for blood. How does she feel about Ridley Scott revisiting the Alien universe without Ripley, for prequel "Prometheus"? "Ridley and I talked about the idea of 'Prometheus' and I always thought that was the only story to tell...So I think it's great that Ridley is doing it," she said. "I will be as excited as anyone to see how he recreates this creature, re-energizes the Alien. I'm very proud of our four movies and I wish him all the best with it."

Those four movies would have been five, had Fox had its way. Joss Whedon, who wrote "Alien Resurrection" had a script written for the next installment but for Weaver, it lacked the challenge of the previous films. "I wasn't really interested in doing another Alien because Fox wanted us to come to Earth which I just thought was so boring," says Weaver. "I was like, oh my God, we'll be running through a mall and the Alien will be in Bloomingdale's or something." For the record, we'd be totally on board with a high-end-department-store-on-Black-Friday-set Alien sequel, as, whatever about prison planets and clone laboratories, that's a terror to which we can all relate. In any case, Weaver sends further good vibes to Charlize Theron who has the unenviable task of "following" Weaver's Ripley as the new female lead of an Alien movie.

"Well, you know [the iconic nature of Ripley] happened over four movies so let's give [Theron] a break. I'm sure they're not trying to create a blonde Ripley or anything. She's a wonderful actress, she'll want to do her own thing with it and not be in the shadow of the other one," she says. Indeed, Theron is playing the CEO of Weyland-Yutani, the shady company that sent Weaver and her crew into outer space in the first place, so she'll be adding a very different piece to the puzzle.

The "Alien" series also allowed Weaver the opportunity to work with some interesting talents on each of the subsequent films, including the now-stratospheric David Fincher on what was his feature debut in the notorious "Alien 3." The stories about that production are endless, but we had to ask Weaver about her reflections on that film.

"'Alien 3' was difficult in a sense," Weaver understates, "but I loved David Fincher, I loved the cast. What was hard was that we were under a lot of pressure to get the movie done and some movies are very hard to rush, so there was a lot of unnecessary tension." Smilingly, she adds, "I think creativity thrives in an atmosphere of joy and love, but not everyone agrees with me...but I think we made a good movie. When I think of 'Alien 3,' I don't remember the pain, I just remember what we were trying to do."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/marrakech-film-festival-11-sigourney-weaver-talks-avatar-prometheus-and-the-forgetting-the-pain-of-alien-3?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

acidpits

Thanks for that! Interesting that she's referring to Theron as the heroine of this film whereas most have been assuming it's going to be Rapace.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: acidpits on Dec 15, 2011, 08:38:45 PMThanks for that! Interesting that she's referring to Theron as the heroine of this film whereas most have been assuming it's going to be Rapace.

I noticed that too, but she is probably just confused like the rest of us. I doubt that she would have any kind of insider knowledge. Unless she just let the cat out of the locker, but who knows.

-Chris

SM

Theron has the highest profile, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.  Though of course there's precedent in the exact opposite direction.

T Dog

It is an interesting point, and she has talked to Ridley about Prometheus (in how much detail we don't know).

But what if that is the twist of sorts. We've heard that it's Theron that kind of stands in the background a lot. What if she steps up her game and becomes the hero. The evil cynical suit type becomes the righteous hero.

Toy

Toy

I really like that idea for some reason and would want Vickers to live until the end if she has a change of heart and turns out this way.  Maybe she's responsible for what happens with the creatures because she wanted a bio-weapon for her company, but then decides all those infected and all the monsters must be eradicated. It might be very interesting.  She basically decides no one should have this thing as a weapon. Then goes Rambo on all the creatures and the engineers.   Maybe not full on hero, but she flips out and works with David and/or Shaw for survival.

Xenomorphine

It's probably more down to the interviewer. They heard Theron was in it (remember, Rapace has only recently got linked) and most likely asked Weaver, who might not have heard all that much about the production development and simply replied accordingly.

ThisBethesdaSea

I don't like the recycled idea of 'can't use creatures as weapon, must destroy planet' (or whatever) That was Ripley's impetus for 3 of the films in part. I would rather watch pure chaos as whatever they decided to mess with blows up in their face.

Toy

Just thinking that because of the pushups, even if she is a robot, she's highly active and there really is a chance she'll be a warrior type at the end. Doesn't have to be the same as Ripley, I'm picturing her going out in a blaze of glory now.

Would make sense if it's just the interviewer focusing on Theron. I can tell you the company's not exactly called Weyland-Yutani like the interview says.  It's just Weyland like what an old interview or even the commentary in Aliens said it would be pre-alien, and pre-merger.  The interviewer is likely just saying Weyland-Yutani too.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Malakak on Dec 15, 2011, 11:12:13 PM
Just thinking that because of the pushups, even if she is a robot, she's highly active and there really is a chance she'll be a warrior type at the end.

More likely to be the result of extended cryosleep/whatever they call it.

QuoteDoesn't have to be the same as Ripley, I'm picturing her going out in a blaze of glory now.

Burke didn't.

Prime113

Quote"I will be as excited as anyone to see how he recreates this creature, re-energizes the Alien

So, did she just, like, confirm that this will be an Alien movie?

SM

I dunno what this pushups thing is - but is it like Ash's little warmup thing he did in the science blister?

Toy

Precisely what I'm thinking if she's a robot.  We don't know enough, and I imagine it's in part because of the cryosleep thing, but I think this means even if she's a human she's obsessed with being ready/warmed up and following routines. She has to follow her routine and do the pushups, not caring she's naked, like some sort of military officer or robot.

manuel809

i think theron could be a key character in the movie, maybe rapace will be the lead in this one with theron possibly being a main character in possible sequels. this movie isnt a SECRETE project for nothing.

SM

They didn't care about nakedness much at the start of Alien too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed