Alien: Earthbound - Stuart Hazeldine's Alien 4 Spec Script

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 03, 2017, 03:28:49 PM

Author
Alien: Earthbound - Stuart Hazeldine's Alien 4 Spec Script (Read 4,462 times)

Drukathi

The space elevator is the most exciting idea. Especially with Antarctica. I mean, a space elevator over the equator? Eh. Sounds... generic? What's down there? It looks like an ordinary generic city. Or some kind of base. Nothing interesting. But the same cities and bases in Antarctica are breathtaking!

TC

Local was pointing out it's not scientifically possible to build a space elevator anywhere but at the equator. If you want one at Antarctica then it's more like a very, very, very tall tower. I think that's what they had in Ad Astra. Can you build a tower 80 miles high? Doubtful, but then again we are talking sci-fi...

TC

Drukathi

Drukathi

I don't want to be that person, but we're talking about a universe where artificial gravity exists and spaceships travels faster than light. And this does not bother anyone. So why does an elevator look ridiculous in Antarctica? Any idea will look good if presented well. And you don't need to be ignorant or an MIT graduate to enjoy the breathtaking spectacle, regardless of your education.

The main thing is that the idea looks believable. Realism? No. People often confuse the two. But believability deepens creativity and allows fictional space to dive into. Whereas realism limits you and forces you to constantly compare and double-check things instead of enjoying the product. After all, the Alien Universe has nothing to do with realism. In a broader sense, believability  is when a fictional universe does not contradict itself, its own rules. Whereas realism constantly makes your brain check: whether the fictional universe meets the criteria for the real one. Although this is not necessary. A pure example of overthinking.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed