Every Enemy and Non-Human Creatures in Aliens Fireteam Elite

Started by PAS Spinelli, Mar 03, 2021, 09:49:26 PM

Author
Every Enemy and Non-Human Creatures in Aliens Fireteam Elite (Read 65,741 times)

tralaritralara

These tiny toons..., these are aliens?

BlueMarsalis79

Apparently so.

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

Why do they always have to do the aliens so small in videogames?, just why?

Decade after decade, and with so few games, It's always been the same story with the height of the alien = wrong. The only way to make them menacing is to respect their original puppet size, and make them the intimidating towering beasts they were once, even the runner when on its two achieved that.

This puts me off so hard. I think I'll still pass away and haven't played an alien or aliens games where they classic creature is portrayed properly, and I have an age already. I've played them all through generations, and this capital issue still persist after almost forty years, what the...  developers!!!

And those kenner aliens..., lol.

So sad because the game animations of the marines, the upgrade system, movement graphics etc etc etc all feel very well done. But the most important thing in an aliens game, the alien itself, again failed attempt. Not even isolation did it right at all in spite of being the closest attempt at the classic gigantic beast.

Hemi

Hemi

Dunno m8, seems about right to me... Headwise size anyways.

Yeah some are smaller, but that could just be because they are not fully developed or something. The big chaps, drones and even the runner look the right size.

Unless I'm missing something...

I still have my Killing Floor mod were I increased their sizes after getting comments on these boards for making the Aliens too small. It's doable, but does get in the way a bit. They become a bit "bulky" if that makes sense. The scaling of the environment in combination with the first person camera AND having them stick to the ceiling and other static meshes is sometimes not so pretty when they are that big. Tails and other details of the body start to clip into objects and surroundings and takes away from the experience. This is with a mod of course and not with a complete new game, but I do think the size of the Aliens has everything to do with how the game is designed in other places, not so much the Alien body mesh itself.

Here's an old screenshot of that test with Goreman:

If that makes sense...

judge death

Nahh, its kind of small in that picture too, barely bigger than the human.
Here is a good comparison to how large a normal xeno would be:

I take it those rip off headcrabs from half life but are white colored and the thing things are wildlife infected by the pathogen and arent xenomorphs. I hope the AI is smart enough to have them fight xenos and the marines and not programmed to be friends with eachother as they arent even same species. Like in turok 2 the different dinos attacked eachother if they accidentily hit one of theirs.

Hemi

Hemi

Looks about right and not "barely bigger then a human" tbh hehe ;-) :

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think sometimes people don't see the perspective in some images or something. I think they have this spot on tbh.  Even Isolations Alien is fairly large, and yet some still argue it's too small.. Very weird.

judge death

Seems about right in that picture to me. But we'll know when the game is out and we can try it out. :)

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: judge death on Aug 06, 2021, 10:02:36 AM
Seems about right in that picture to me. But we'll know when the game is out and we can try it out. :)

It's hard to judge as the perspective changes when folk adjust FOV or increase resolution too. These changes have influence on the players camera and could make game assets feel smaller in some cases.

Best to try some settings, they might make the experience better in most cases.

Corporal Hicks

The Drones and Warriors in this are huge!

The Necronoir

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2021, 11:23:15 AM
The Drones and Warriors in this are huge!

Exactly. If anything, I've been wondering if they aren't too big. I'm sure it'll work well in terms of making them imposing though. The runners are on the small side, but they're also exclusively seen on all fours AFAIK, and you can understand why for gameplay reasons too. Make them too big and they won't be able to effectively swarm the player. Or if they did you quickly wouldn't be able to see a damned thing.

Kradan

Kradan

Just don't make 'em Eric Red big Aliens

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Or the dude that novelized Aliens Rogue where all the Aliens were the size of trexs. 

I don't think dude knew the difference between feet and meters. 

PraetorianX101

There's a riot shield using Synth at 1:30 in this video. Don't think we've seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_Gqyn-PCY&t=91s

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

So what is it, are the Aliens too small or are they too big? lol

From what I've seen, Runners are the size of their movie counterpart, Drones are a bit smaller than their Isolation counterpart (but far larger than movie counterpart) and Warrior are taller than their movie counterpart and taller than the Isolation drone

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

Wasn't the drone an alien type that didn't make it to the second movie, ridged like the warrior but smaller around the same size as a runner when on its two (2'76cm)?, I'm curious as to why the first one is considered a "drone". Back in the day It was said that any alien smooth headed meant that it didn't belong to any hive, and the ridges in the heads of the ones in the sequel meant the opposite.

Also, on the size:
picture upload

That was around 2'96cm, like the new space jockeys in the forgettable Prometheus film, making them around same size as the two classics which made sense at least, just around 4cm taller than the classics.

The pics we see old good Giger working on the first puppet for the movie was around 2'98cm, and the runner was just 20cm or so less in height than the warrior when on its two. In other words a towering monster as well, and scary as heck as he was in alien3 when close enough.

Is it capital that the aliens are huge,and not those 1'50cm tall rats that swarm you continously in the game, and the not that big warrior and first alien that so many call drone?, of course it is. This should not be even up to question.

Just to use a direct but also fun comparison with a recent character that you all know for sure and everyone keeps talking about, Lady Demitresc (lol). I mean, do you see her?, that's exactly what the alien should size on screen. Another example. You see the Praetorian from the avp2010 game?, that's also how the first and second alien (and the runner close when on its two) should size on screen. Identical to LD. Shouldn't that be capital borderline mandatory for the player's experience when fighting aliens in an aliens videogame?

You know. It's just that I'm a bit tired of that "in the name of the gameplay" argument, that the aliens have to be made so much smaller and lose much of its scary factor as direct consequence, and all because of hitboxes and other stuff. I've been hearing that song for around thirty years, and if I tell you the truth.., I think it's been enough of that already.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed