For all those who hate A:CM

Started by Predator@Alien, Oct 16, 2019, 01:44:02 PM

Author
For all those who hate A:CM (Read 21,889 times)

SM

SM

The continuity errors in A:CM are myriad.  The appalling script and voice acting don't help either.

However, it's not regarded as canon, because Fox licensing does not regard it as canon.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

Quote from: SM on Oct 17, 2019, 11:50:08 PM
The continuity errors in A:CM are myriad.  The appalling script and voice acting don't help either.

However, it's not regarded as canon, because Fox licensing does not regard it as canon.

Yes there are a lot of errors in A:CM; but the majority of them are just details. Most people linger on details which are not decisive for the story. And the biggest errors can be correct when we search a little. It's just like Out of the Shadows, Fire and Stone, River of Pain : there are a lot of continuity errors and yet it's canon. So I wonder on what criterias the official canon is based.
There are only one big error in A;CM : the colony presence after the explosion. What are the other major problem please ? The really big problems which are problematic for the entire story, and which can't be corrected ?

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Well, you could try to explain them, but why bother?

It adds nothing of value to the existing story and even makes it worse overall because it's a poor addition in on itself.

I don't know if Out of the Shadows, Fire and Stone or River of Pain is canon at the moment, but as far as I am concerned they shoulnd't be. 

The Old One

The Old One

Totally agreed, the Alien Titan Novel Trilogy shouldn't be considered part of continuity, nor should Fire and Stone or Life and Death or The Rage War.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

Quote from: The Kurgan on Oct 18, 2019, 10:25:14 AM
Well, you could try to explain them, but why bother?

It adds nothing of value to the existing story and even makes it worse overall because it's a poor addition in on itself.

I don't know if Out of the Shadows, Fire and Stone or River of Pain is canon at the moment, but as far as I am concerned they shoulnd't be. 

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 18, 2019, 11:10:52 AM
Totally agreed, the Alien Titan Novel Trilogy shouldn't be considered part of continuity, nor should Fire and Stone or Life and Death or The Rage War.

Okay, there I understand ! Because I saw too much people who are really submitted to the official canon, just like they have no critical mind and take everything without asking any questions. I prefer the people who have their own opinion. I wanted to be confronted to those first people, to ask why some things must be canon and other not. And to those who don't respect opinions of the others. I understand that some things are too hard to accept in A:CM because it calls into question what we believe before. I have a different opinion about that, because I like when we are surprised, when things are more complicated than the previous story  :)

Alien Primordial Origin

Alien Primordial Origin

You are not alone my friend.

Well, If you ignore the game footage that show at E3 2011.  Aliens: Colonial Mariens is not that bad at all.
I just finished play through A:CM campaign in hard mode for the first time. After I fix a typo.
https://www.pcgamer.com/all-this-time-aliens-colonial-marines-stupid-ai-may-have-been-caused-by-a-single-typo/

I gotta say this is a better "Aliens Experience" than marine campaign in AVP 2010. Espically after the typo has been fix.
Xenomorph AI in the game is now a lot smarter and more aggressive than before.  Xenomorphs are now crawl on ceilings or use air vent to sneak attack on you more often . Sometime Xenomorphs can pounce from great distances to attack you too.  And in hard mode, Xenomorph can kill you in just a couple of hits.

Xenomorphs in AVP 2010 are a lot slower, less aggressive and easier to deal with than Xenomorph in A:CM. 

I love Aliens: Colonial Marines. And I don't care what anyone say. They can call me a retard if they like. I don't care because it's not my concern.

And This game is still canon to me. As long as it not contradicted by material in the new EU or any upcoming film.
A:CM fill the plothole in Alien 3. It treat Hicks character better than what they did in Alien 3.  And the story (both main game and DLC) is good enough for me to accept it as canon.

PS. sorry for bad english.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Alien Primordial Origin on Dec 20, 2019, 03:09:50 AM
I love Aliens: Colonial Marines. And I don't care what anyone say. They can call me a retard if they like. I don't care because it's not my concern.

I'm not going to call you anything.

QuoteAnd This game is still canon to me. As long as it not contradicted by material in the new EU or any upcoming film.
A:CM fill the plothole in Alien 3. It treat Hicks character better than what they did in Alien 3.  And the story (both main game and DLC) is good enough for me to accept it as canon.

I also could not disagree with you more if I tried, though.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Randy appreciates the support.

gold

gold

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Oct 16, 2019, 01:44:02 PM
Hi !

I make this topic to understand things that I never understand.

I'm a relly big fan of A:CM. But I'm aware of the big problems of production, scams of comm' and the bad gameplay. But I love the story.

I have studied major critics on A:CM and I have some answers to them. It is not a fight but see that as a thing that I don't understand and I need logical answers.

I loved the game. Gameplay mechanics were ok after the patches and templar gfx mod. But I loved the story and dlc stories most of all, and how they tied into the second movie and the ACMTM.

Watching a movie made of the cutscenes of this game plus DLC is like watching the Aliens sequel we never had.

The only memory I remember after watching Alien 3 for the first time in 1992 was an immense let down that Hicks was just dismissed and dead right at the start. It was a huge slap in the face to us back in '92. Exactly the same as what Rian Johnson's TLJ did to Luke Skywalker a few years back. It was exactly the same let down.

Whoever wrote the story for ACM and DLC's was either old school 1992 or made it for people like us back then. In my book it is perfect. That gung ho 1986 marines vibe dialled upto 11.

And I think people who think this game's story is a mess are those that never read the ACMTM and how the Shinyo Maru, the Legato and Resolute relate to each other. The script of this game puts you right into that corporate scheming callous world the '86 movie, the ACMTM and the comics portray.

The Old One

The Old One

Whoever wrote it is a talentless moron, the story is Asylum level, it's insultingly moronic to anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

If the game had been more worked on graphics and dialogues, everyone would have said that it was a good game. But again we are talking about the story which is great. And those who say that it sucks to this point are really dictators of thought because I do not see how a story can be so horribly received.  We've already had a lot worse in the Alien franchise.  Tell me concretely how the global history is bad ?  The marines who come to rescue the survivors of Sulaco is a logical way for the continuation of Aliens.  What exactly is wrong with that ?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jan 14, 2020, 06:15:41 PM
If the game had been more worked on graphics and dialogues, everyone would have said that it was a good game. But again we are talking about the story which is great.

To quote the Terminator. Wrong.

People will not think of it as a great game if the graphics were better or the dialogue being fixed, because that is not the major problem.

Bad graphics can be forgiven, bad story and dialogues cannot. The game had a story which relied heavily on nostalgia and miracle coincidences, say Turk, how are you wearing the exact same bandages as Hicks.  :P
It couldn't even get the nostalgia right either, the complex and the derelict were inaccurate.

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jan 14, 2020, 06:15:41 PM
And those who say that it sucks to this point are really dictators of thought because I do not see how a story can be so horribly received.  We've already had a lot worse in the Alien franchise.  Tell me concretely how the global history is bad ?  The marines who come to rescue the survivors of Sulaco is a logical way for the continuation of Aliens.  What exactly is wrong with that ?

The problem is execution, the lack of build up and how things suddenly happen, not to mention the sudden leaps of disbelief it asks us to suspend. The explosion wiped out the colony, yet in this game its mostly intact with functional power. Hicks is alive and there are alien castes with no explanation to their existence. The weyland-Yutani are portrayed as over the top mustache twirling baddies rather than merely the neglectful entity they were in the first few films. 

The story is simply bad. If you like it that's fine. People liking bad products is nothing new but to describe it as great is just wrong on so many levels.

There were a few nice ideas here and there, the concept of the Raven is very interesting, a Xenomorph that has grown more and is highly aggressive to boot. It is also in the only level that is arguably good.

The idea of the game following a rescue/investigative team is not a bad one either, its just the execution and what the game is trying to make us swallow..  The problem though that is essentially repeating the second movie because that was about a rescue/investigative team.

Like Alien 3, production and development was not smooth, Pritchard used the budget for ACM on Borderlands and the game was passed between different companies.

Huggs

Huggs

The story was terrible. Period.

That it is ridiculously glitchy, and looks/plays like crap, is secondary.

gold

gold

I think people who hate the story have an agenda. They are the type of people who value graphics over anything and the fact that the game was downgraded graphically is cause for the hate.

The story of ACM is actually very well thought out and a fanservice gift to "real" fans of the second movie and the 80's comic books.

People who hate it are probably the modern Call of Duty crew.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: gold on Jan 15, 2020, 03:40:52 AM
I think people who hate the story have an agenda. They are the type of people who value graphics over anything and the fact that the game was downgraded graphically is cause for the hate.

The story of ACM is actually very well thought out and a fanservice gift to "real" fans of the second movie and the 80's comic books.

People who hate it are probably the modern Call of Duty crew.

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed