avp gold on gameranger?

Started by Lucifero, Aug 26, 2016, 06:50:11 PM

Author
avp gold on gameranger? (Read 5,256 times)

Lucifero

Lucifero

i have tested the olde's version and seem more stable then pirate gold
work good on win 7 by using voodo

never mind the hassle that causes me the advertising game ranger when you start a room a pure spam
and yes lazy people will always exist: D

but image a 24/7 dedicated server always up free for all ;D
the only limit in GameRanger  LAN that does not allow  to select more than 8 players by default.
probably because it takes the default settings of AVP classic  retail not gold retail .
as usual my italian keyboard  does not want help me,  and I can not restore Default setting .
I'm pretty sure that this problem does not arise if my operating system and my keyboard are in English or American.
I tested these versions of Windows 10 with or without active voodoo on my laptop work with intell graphic that abnormalities of AVP2 black screen nav vision

Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill

GameRanger actually only uses a game's LAN mode when there's no other easy option.

For AvP Gold, it uses the same lobby launching mechanism that MPlayer and Zone used, except much more reliable as it deals with routers and firewalls properly. Less people had routers and NAT back in the old days because sharing a 56k modem internet connection across multiple PCs hadn't become a thing. :)

Olde

Olde

Lucy and I tried to connect AVP Gold Edition yesterday via GameRanger but to no avail. When one of us would create the server, the other person would be taken to the game parameters screen instead of joining the other person's game. Lucy and I live in two totally different countries but, given what I think GameRanger's goal is, it shouldn't matter. Would be interested in testing this with someone else--though finding someone with both legit Gold Edition and GameRanger has proven quite a struggle.

Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill

Quote from: Olde on Aug 28, 2016, 01:26:34 PM
Lucy and I tried to connect AVP Gold Edition yesterday via GameRanger but to no avail. When one of us would create the server, the other person would be taken to the game parameters screen instead of joining the other person's game. Lucy and I live in two totally different countries but, given what I think GameRanger's goal is, it shouldn't matter. Would be interested in testing this with someone else--though finding someone with both legit Gold Edition and GameRanger has proven quite a struggle.

Yes, country doesn't matter at all. That doesn't sound right.. I'll investigate that further..

Edit: Ouch, I think I've found the bug. It looks like it's passing the server command-line to joiners, which would explain what you're seeing.

Edit2: Well that is quite depressing.

It looks like I made the breaking-change in January 2007, which is before the PC version was even released November 2008. Which means it wouldn't have ever worked for anyone on GameRanger.

Out of more than a hundred games that used DirectPlay lobby launching, AvP Gold was the only one that required a different command-line for joining than for hosting, which is why it slipped through. It did originally work before that change, but no one else saw that. :(

I'll prepare an update for that now.

Edit3: Done. It should work now. Give it another try and let me know if it works for you.

Olde

Olde

Thank you for doing the update. It's very uncommon to see consistent support like this. Unfortunately we ran into the same problem (maybe it'll take a bit for the update to take effect?). What I noticed though was that after restarting GameRanger, the game would instead load up from the beginning instead of taking me directly to the multiplayer connectivity menu. Under Multiplayer, I would have five options instead of the regular four: TCP/IP, IPX, Modem, Serial, and Play Free on MPlayer. IPX is one I've never seen before. In any case, selecting IPX, as well as Modem and Serial give me error messages about 14 assets not deallocating or something. I still can't join a game in progress.

Having talked to two others (Lucy and another AVP Gold player), they're getting the original problem of being taken to a Join Game screen but nothing happening when they select Join.

Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill

I should have mentioned that, but the update happens after GameRanger is re-launched (as you did).

What you describe sounds like you were updated, but the other two players were not. Even so, it still should have taken you to the multiplayer join menu, so my quick workaround wasn't enough.

I've done one more change before going to bed that may fix it. Re-launch GameRanger again to update.

Edit: Oops, update was ready, but not enabled. It is enabled now.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Olde on Aug 28, 2016, 05:15:57 PM

Having talked to two others (Lucy and another AVP Gold player), they're getting the original problem of being taken to a Join Game screen but nothing happening when they select Join.

at one point we found ourselves in the same gr room with 3 different versions of the same game,
gog version , 99 original and gold pirate without considering the more popular version classic 2000 on steam...

we need a free a single setup for all, to make a bit of order.

AvP Unknown Forum › General › Aliens vs. Predator Classic (1999) › Alien vs Predator for Linux and Mac OS X

http://www.avpunknown.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1419539640/2#2

AvP Unknown Forum › General › Aliens vs. Predator Classic (1999) › alien vs predator gold is really open source?

http://www.avpunknown.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1420801001/3#3

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Scott Kevill on Aug 28, 2016, 06:24:41 PM
I should have mentioned that, but the update happens after GameRanger is re-launched (as you did).

What you describe sounds like you were updated, but the other two players were not. Even so, it still should have taken you to the multiplayer join menu, so my quick workaround wasn't enough.

I've done one more change before going to bed that may fix it. Re-launch GameRanger again to update.

Edit: Oops, update was ready, but not enabled. It is enabled now.
Interesting. Now it doesn't even launch the game for joiners. We get hung out at the "Game Launched" pop-up window. It does, however, launch the game for the host.

Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill

Quote from: Olde on Aug 30, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
Interesting. Now it doesn't even launch the game for joiners. We get hung out at the "Game Launched" pop-up window. It does, however, launch the game for the host.

Thanks, I appreciate the testing. I hadn't actually re-installed AvP yet for these updates.

Looks like this may be more complex than I first thought, and I'm going to need to set aside time to look at this in depth.

On another note, I may also talk to Rebellion to see what other changes went into AvP Classic 2000. I'm assuming they've stripped out all use of DirectPlay for networking? Would have been nice to unify all the different versions rather than have this fragmentation.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Scott Kevill on Aug 30, 2016, 05:31:57 PM
Quote from: Olde on Aug 30, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
Would have been nice to unify all the different versions rather than have this fragmentation.

It would be great I' m available for new tests!!

one single login , one single chat for manage all users interested,

one single network , one server list for manage all these titles , dedicated and not dedicated .

talking of avp 1 gold and necro treads :D interesting read:

AvPGalaxy Forums » Games » Alien-Predator Games » AvP Classic »

Topic:  Dedicated Servers Were Possible On AvP Gold Edition, And Here's Proof

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=55129.0

AvPGalaxy Forums » Games » Alien-Predator Games »
Topic:  Anyone up for some AVP Gold MAC on GameRangers?

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=24358.0

Olde

Olde

On another note, I may also talk to Rebellion to see what other changes went into AvP Classic 2000. I'm assuming they've stripped out all use of DirectPlay for networking? Would have been nice to unify all the different versions rather than have this fragmentation.
Coolness. They should be in talks with MPlayer about their client's support for AvP Classic. The only option the game now has is to connect via Steam or GoG servers, so I assume direct IP connection, LAN, etc. was stripped. It would indeed be nice if they could unify the game, but keep in mind that the GR version is AvP Gold, not Classic 2000. Therefore, the remaining members may have limited knowledge about the game's network coding.

The coding differences between Gold and Classic 2000 are too great for an integrated singular version. The Gold source code can't be used to make Classic 2000 mods, and I suspect that an operational Gold edition multiplayer connectivity on Game Ranger would have no bearing on Classic 2000 itself. Which is not to say it isn't worth it; Gold Edition has its own charm.

P.S. If you know Richard Rice, credited as network code and tools programmer on AvP '99 and Gold Edition, let me know.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: Olde on Sep 02, 2016, 04:13:06 AM
Coolness. They should be in talks with MPlayer about their client's support for AvP Classic. The only option the game now has is to connect via Steam or GoG servers, so I assume direct IP connection, LAN, etc. was stripped. It would indeed be nice if they could unify the game, but keep in mind that the GR version is AvP Gold, not Classic 2000. Therefore, the remaining members may have limited knowledge about the game's network coding.

The coding differences between Gold and Classic 2000 are too great for an integrated singular version. The Gold source code can't be used to make Classic 2000 mods, and I suspect that an operational Gold edition multiplayer connectivity on Game Ranger would have no bearing on Classic 2000 itself. Which is not to say it isn't worth it; Gold Edition has its own charm.

P.S. If you know Richard Rice, credited as network code and tools programmer on AvP '99 and Gold Edition, let me know.

im ready for new test!

Up and bay for an honest figure I could find is the classic gold version that the explosive gold version.
I wonder what are the major differences.
I am waiting to receive a rare Italian version of avp1 hope it is not a scam.

Lucifero

Lucifero

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed