Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 316,904 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 11, 2022, 02:19:44 PM
I can't think of a time retconning an entry out's helped anything. The replacement's pretty much always embarrassing.

Halloween (2018)?

Also I'm not thinking retcon. I'm thinking Joker, something that doesn't retcon what's going on in the DCEU but lives outside of it, in its own universe.

Kradan

Kradan

Evil dies tonight

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

But retroactively making an entry from another universe, that's indeed a retcon, not a Shattered Memories type situation where it always was.

And I personally think as far as track records go.

The new three Halloween sequels don't even reach the quality of the old three Halloween sequels. Halloween 2018's not superior to II or III and Halloween Kills frankly's far inferior to all of the above.

Kradan

Kradan

To be fair to Halloween Kills, it brought us arguably the funniest Half In The Bag episode of 2021, so there's that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71JAJMWeco&t=245s

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2022, 12:56:41 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 10, 2022, 03:46:58 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2022, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 09, 2022, 09:30:33 PM
Saw part of Prometheus on cable the day before yesterday. After all these years it still seems like its own separate universe..yup

I actually feel the same way about both of them, Prometheus and Covenant.

I wish i could say something like.."meanwhile in the original parallel universe...none of Ridley's madness happened!" :laugh:

I wouldn't mind that. Two timelines to play in. I do understand the madness that would ensue within the common folk. But then again, perhaps I'm not giving them enough credit. General audiences seemed to grasp "Joker" well enough.

You nail it with Joker.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2022, 10:02:38 AM
And here I am thinking the visual language very much keeps them feeling in the same universe, as well as elements of the stories within.

It happens to me more with Prometheus though. The music, the tone, the in-univere futurology, the aesthetics, designs...everything looks very alien to ALIEN. Yes; there are Space Jockeys and Weyland, as well as in the Joker there's the Wayne family. I know it's a prequel, but it looks so different that it seems like its own thing. And the lack of Alien is the least of it. There you have Outland / Pitch Black, which looks more like an Alien movie, not having one, than Prometheus. Promy looks like a reboot and in a way like a loose adaptation of Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast.

Kradan

Kradan

Oh God, the first time I've watched Outland I had fanjaculation so hard 'cause its aesthetics were straight-up Alien

There's a difference  though. Joker 2019 draws its inspiration  from a various comic book sources that existed for decades and were reinvented numerous times in various forms of media. There's only one source material for Prometheus - it's 1979 movie, Alien. It's much easier to separate Joker 2019 from everything else Batman related as its own thing tnan it is Prometheus from Alien

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 11, 2022, 06:59:48 PM
Evil dies tonight

That would be Halloween Kills, not Halloween (2018)  :P

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 11, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
But retroactively making an entry from another universe, that's indeed a retcon, not a Shattered Memories type situation where it always was.

Is Joker really considered by the general audience as a retcon of the DCEU? My personal observation is no.

QuoteHalloween 2018's not superior to II or III

I disagree. To me Halloween (2018) is far superior to Halloween 2. And while I love Halloween 3, Season of the Witch is more of an anthology entry and really doesn't apply here.

But I digress, I'm going for a Joker.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 11, 2022, 08:17:53 PM
You nail it with Joker.

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 11, 2022, 08:19:53 PM
There's a difference  though. Joker 2019 draws its inspiration  from a various comic book sources that existed for decades and were reinvented numerous times in various forms of media. There's only one source material for Prometheus - it's 1979 movie, Alien. It's much easier to separate Joker 2019 from everything else Batman related as its own thing tnan it is Prometheus from Alien

I'm probably not conveying myself correctly but I'm thinking further than separating Alien from Prometheus. I mean like a Tongal film, but completely disconnected and separated from everything. No recognition of Ripley or Weyland or Engineers or the goo or David or synthetics as we know it. Just a straight horror film somewhere in space not beholden to any current canon with the Alien creature.

Kradan

Kradan

One spawned another  :P For example, there wouldn't be Alien Resurrection, if not for Alien 3

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2022, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 11, 2022, 07:12:29 PM

Is Joker really considered by the general audience as a retcon of the DCEU? My personal observation is no.

Yeah, I don't get it either

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That's not what I bloody said.

Retconning Prometheus NOW to be part of a separate
or an alternate universe's nothing like the other examples given in this thread.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Still confused. Not talking retconning Prometheus. Talking doing a film outside of all four Alien films and the two prequels. Just a horror film in space that is not beholden to any of that canon... that has no established canon but features the egg, facehugger, chestburster, Alien.

Kradan

Kradan

I think it's easier to do with comic book material 'cause it's in nature of comic books to be reinvented and reinterpreted than something that comes from a movie

Or is that still not what you've meant ?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 12, 2022, 02:58:59 PM
I think it's easier to do with comic book material 'cause it's in nature of comic books to be reinvented and reinterpreted than something that comes from a movie

I think you'd be surprised. Think Tongal film, but even further. Alas, I've probably derailed the thread enough as it is. It's just one charming man's opinion! ;D

Kradan

Kradan

What's Tongal film ?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

...everything is so complicated now. My head!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 12, 2022, 03:16:42 PM
What's Tongal film ?

The anniversary shorts.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed