Site / Forum Updates - New Theme 28/08/15

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2009, 06:40:12 PM

Author
Site / Forum Updates - New Theme 28/08/15 (Read 68,428 times)

Darkness

Darkness

This thread is for any important site or forum updates.

A couple of new things I've added this weekend.

- We now have have a Twitter page: http://twitter.com/avpgalaxy
I'll be keeping that up-to-date with stuff.

- When posting comments on the main page, they now contribute to your post counts.

- I've added YouTube tags to the forum so you can embed videos into the page. E.g.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCd-SDkqISE[/url]

becomes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCd-SDkqISE#

Chris P

Chris P

HAHAHAH! You did!  ;D    I installed the youtube tag last week, works great. But my youtube icon is not showing up. DId you have that problem when you installed it?

Anyways, i'm glad you did that to. I kept trying to figure out how to embed videos form youtube on my forum, since my site uses the forum to post front page news. This was very helpful. But yeah, I would like to know how you got the youtube icon to work.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've also joined onto the Twitter wagon. Gotta say I love Twitter. Everyone with an account should be sure to follow us for the latest.  :)

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Heh, I'll make a Twitter JUST to follow AvPGalaxy xD

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I just mentioned this in the other Twitter post (damn me for not checking here first), and Lady Gaga appears to be following the site.

She never seemed like the AvP type to me...

Darkness

Darkness

No, it's me who's following her. What can I say. I like her music.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Oh I see! I've never been into Twitter, well, at all in the past, so I didn't really understand that 'Following' aspect (it looks like it's the other way around).

Ah well, now I have to feel like an idiot for the rest of the day.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Embedding youtube videos doesn't cause any bandwidth problems around here does it?

Darkness

Darkness

No, that's YouTube's bandwidth.

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: Darkness on Nov 03, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
No, it's me who's following her. What can I say. I like her music.

Aw man. You like to POKER FACE ?  :D  :D I'm sorry, someone had to say it. But yeah, some of her music is alright. Overall I think she's f**ked up, but no matter how messed she gets in her videos, you have to watch.  ;D

Quote from: Darkness on Nov 03, 2009, 08:17:54 PM
No, that's YouTube's bandwidth.

That's the beauty of it all. One of the best mods SMF ever had.  8)

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

I probably won't make a Twitter actually, I usually visit here every day anyway so there's no need.

Good idea for other people who can't access Galaxy on their phones and stuff, though.

Darkness

Darkness

Okay, for those that don't know, the forum was down yesterday for several hours. The host disabled it due to it using high resources. They moved the site to a new server and gave me a month to sort out the problems or they'd suspend the site altogether. I can't fix the problem. It's just too much traffic coming here so I had to look for another host. It's unfortunate this happened now but at least it didn't happen later in the week when the demo comes out or when the game actually comes out. We're hosted on a virtual private server now, which is a lot more expensive but at least we have our own resources. The site should be a lot faster. The domain servers have changed so some people may not be able to see the site for up to 48 hours. If you're reading this, then the move has been successful.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Ah, I was wondering what that was all about.

Thanks for the update bossman.

Darkness

Darkness

Subscribers

I added a new Subscriber feature to the site as a way of people supporting the site. Since we moved, it's quite expensive running this site and the ads alone don't pay for the hosting. So I noticed on other forums, they have a Subscriber Status which could be quite useful.

From the Site: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/become-a-subscriber/

Over the years, AvPGalaxy has grown increasingly popular and the demands put  on our hosts have required us to move to a private server. To help cover  the costs of keeping AvPGalaxy alive you can become an AvPGalaxy  subscriber as a way of supporting the site. It costs £5 (5.74 EUR, 7.82 USD, 8.37 CAD, 9.06 AUS) a year and you get a few features.

Aside from supporting AvPGalaxy with the annual running costs you get:

• Boosts PM storage to 500 messages.
  • Includes a private board on the forum for Subscribers.
  • Sneak peaks and testing of new features being added to AvPGalaxy.
  • You can request an @AvPGalaxy.net email address.
  • You will get a shiny new badge above your avatar and your name in the online users list will be a different colour to let people know you're a Subscriber.
  • All advertising removed from AvPGalaxy.
To become a subscriber, you must already be registered on the site. Go to your Profile, Actions, Paid Subscriptions and follow the page. We accept Paypal. You only pay for one year. If you don't want to continue subscribing, simply don't do anything. If you do, go through the subscription process again.

This is entirely optional. The site will always be free. This is just a little incentive for people to support the site. Staff are excluded from this since they already have the features above.

Chat Room

The second feature I added recently was this Chat Room which some of you remember we had last year for a short time. It seems to be working fine here so I'm keeping it. At the moment, there's a Public Channel, AvP Channel and a Predators Channel. People can login by clicking the Chat button. You can acess your own private channel and invite people to it which only you'll be able to see. You can send private messages to people in public channels and those messages will only been seen by them. To open a direct private channel, select the option under the person's name and anything you type will be seen by just them, indicated by "whispers...".

Steam ID

I also added a Steam ID Field to your profiles so you add that along with your PSN ID & X360 Gamer Tag.

keylight-di

QuoteWe accept Paypal

Very willingly, but why am I headed to the Dutch site?.... I don't know the language, I want English....  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed