Constructing the Hunter, Talking The Predator With ADI's Alec Gillis - AvP Galaxy Podcast #77

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 26, 2018, 08:11:40 PM

Author
Constructing the Hunter, Talking The Predator With ADI's Alec Gillis - AvP Galaxy Podcast #77 (Read 25,942 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 29, 2018, 03:23:55 AM
Okay. Halfway done with the podcast so far and I'm loving it.  Alec is so entertaining, and funny too!

A few highlights:

I loved learning that the first time Alec saw "Alien", was in a mall theater with James Cameron, neither having any clue Jim would make a sequel 7 years later!

It's great to hear Alec wants to see a Predator or AvP movie with little, or no humans, and has the vision to see its potential. Hear! hear!

Why did the Predators look bulky in AvP? From his lips to our ears.  Other than sometimes using shorter actors, Paul Anderson wanted the armored Predators to look like American Football players.  *sigh*

Yeah, the thought hadn't crossed my mind before - I always thought they just looked super bulky.  But after he mentioned it, I can definitely see the parallels now  :-\  (Like when one of the Preds tries to tackle an Alien in the temple.)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Nov 29, 2018, 03:33:59 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 29, 2018, 03:23:55 AM
Okay. Halfway done with the podcast so far and I'm loving it.  Alec is so entertaining, and funny too!

A few highlights:

I loved learning that the first time Alec saw "Alien", was in a mall theater with James Cameron, neither having any clue Jim would make a sequel 7 years later!

It's great to hear Alec wants to see a Predator or AvP movie with little, or no humans, and has the vision to see its potential. Hear! hear!

Why did the Predators look bulky in AvP? From his lips to our ears.  Other than sometimes using shorter actors, Paul Anderson wanted the armored Predators to look like American Football players.  *sigh*

Yeah, the thought hadn't crossed my mind before - I always thought they just looked super bulky.  But after he mentioned it, I can definitely see the parallels now  :-\  (Like when one of the Preds tries to tackle an Alien in the temple.)

Yep, I guess Paul was watching the NFL one Sunday and said "that is what AvP needs!"  :P




Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 29, 2018, 03:42:17 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Nov 29, 2018, 03:33:59 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 29, 2018, 03:23:55 AM
Okay. Halfway done with the podcast so far and I'm loving it.  Alec is so entertaining, and funny too!

A few highlights:

I loved learning that the first time Alec saw "Alien", was in a mall theater with James Cameron, neither having any clue Jim would make a sequel 7 years later!

It's great to hear Alec wants to see a Predator or AvP movie with little, or no humans, and has the vision to see its potential. Hear! hear!

Why did the Predators look bulky in AvP? From his lips to our ears.  Other than sometimes using shorter actors, Paul Anderson wanted the armored Predators to look like American Football players.  *sigh*

Yeah, the thought hadn't crossed my mind before - I always thought they just looked super bulky.  But after he mentioned it, I can definitely see the parallels now  :-\  (Like when one of the Preds tries to tackle an Alien in the temple.)

Yep, I guess Paul was watching the NFL one Sunday and said "that is what AvP needs!"  :P

https://media3.giphy.com/media/HeQnV4t35HB2o/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bff5ee3512f45306f8fb0a0

I'd say he was alittle off.

Corporal Hicks

To be honest, I didn't think that was unknown. I'm sure Anderson and ADI talked quite freely about that during AvP's production and on the features?

Wysps

In certainly can't remember. It's been a long, long time since I've watched extra content related to the AvP movies, save for the movies themselves and some short featurettes posted this past year on the forums.

SiL

This has been known since the movie came out. It's mentioned in ADI's Art of AvP book. Pretty sure it's mentioned in the commentaries that he wanted more of the comic book physique of broad chests and shoulders.

Hell, the book also says Anderson wanted Scar to be "handsome".

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

#36
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2018, 08:50:24 AM
To be honest, I didn't think that was unknown. I'm sure Anderson and ADI talked quite freely about that during AvP's production and on the features?

I know Paul wanted broad, gladiator like Predators but I never heard Paul wanting the Predators to look like "American football players". Unless I missed it in some supplemental, that particular liken / association was new to my ears, in a quite unpleasant way.  ;)




I finished listening to the Podcast.  I'll have to listen to it again, but regarding the Emissary / Caravan version of "The Predator", it almost sounded in mid conversation that Alec was about to endorse Fox's decision to order cuts/changes, but diverted to a more neutral approach.

And hearing that there were scenes filmed with Nebraska offering an Emissary Predator a cigarette, and some of the takes the Yautja actually puffed away and smoked it, yeah... I think that leads me to say..... thank you Fox!  ;)

Corporal Hicks

I know the cut where he roars disapproval made it into one of the tests and got some laughs.

Voodoo Magic

Hmm. But would it be like when Luke throws his lightsaber over his shoulder in "The Last Jedi", i.e. the the theater audience laughs but the die hard fans cringe.

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 29, 2018, 01:49:04 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2018, 08:50:24 AM
To be honest, I didn't think that was unknown. I'm sure Anderson and ADI talked quite freely about that during AvP's production and on the features?

I know Paul wanted broad, gladiator like Predators but I never heard Paul wanting the Predators to look like "American football players". Unless I missed it in some supplemental, that particular liken / association was new to my ears, in a quite unpleasant way.  ;)

Same. The American football angle is new to me.

Voodoo Magic


BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2018, 02:10:10 PM
I know the cut where he roars disapproval made it into one of the tests and got some laughs.

I'm actually dying reading this i must confess  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guess it's working on me, just picturing the scene in my mind i'm on the floor right now !

Voodoo Magic

I forgot to mention, I didn't understand all the apprehension but I really appreciated your valid mandible question TheOldOne.  It's a good question.  I was always curious about the thought process behind that aesthetic change and unfortunately will be remaining curious.

Wysps

Right on, especially since the mandible issue seems to be brought up on the forums frequently enough  ;D

Voodoo Magic


AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed
Contact: General Queries | Submit News