William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,677 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 28, 2019, 09:54:46 PM
Im still waiting on the last issue but ive enjoyed the series so far. I havent had the problems other people seem to be having recognizing people and keeping track of whats happening. The only complaint i have is that the coloring is indeed too bright.

Otherwise its been a fun little what if.

Yeah, I can't say I've been having issues with character recognition either.

Russ840

Russ840

Character identification isn't a problem for me. My issue is that some scenes do not flow very well.

One example for me was the lab scene when the blonde woman turns and another character is going ape. There were about 6 characters present but because the architecture of the ship in the art looks all the same..... it was like i was reading two different scenes. I got a little lost and had to read back to realise it was all one scene and everyone was there. It just did not flow very well in my opinion.

I am really happy we got this and once i get through some 'Swamp Thing' that I am currently reading, ill be re reading in one sitting. More thoughts to come.

Kane's other son

This is how it ends, not with a bang but a whimper. The boxy, generic USCSS Kansas City in the final page is the perfect encapsulation of everything that was wrong with this series.
Art aside, the script was a dud since we got no memorable new characters and the ones who crossed over from Aliens were wasted. Hicks was literally just along for the ride.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I still haven't read the last two issues, but the first three had a lot of cramped panel layouts. Gotta make room for six pages of ads somehow, I guess.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 30, 2019, 04:36:33 PMCharacter identification isn't a problem for me. My issue is that some scenes do not flow very well.

I thought this too. I've actually read the script a few times and I still found it hard to keep track of what was going on where at times.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

There wasn't actually a great deal missing from the script. A couple of instances of dialogue and the biggest sequence was probably Halliday and Hicks' introduction. The ending is about as fast as it is in the script. It's a really faithful adaptation.

To it's detriment, I think. While I do love this particular draft, it did need a tidy. Things like Fox's motivation stuck out and the climax was rushed. While I like it's particularly faithful and not snipped down, I wouldn't have minded seeing Johnnie try and fix some elements.

The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 11:51:21 AMThe ending is about as fast as it is in the script. It's a really faithful adaptation.

You sure? I really should re read the script. I could swear the final part of the story, after the aliens are introduced was a lot longer.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

For some reason, I always pictured Outland's visuals in my head whenever I read the Gibson script.  The comic had none of that though.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
There wasn't actually a great deal missing from the script. A couple of instances of dialogue and the biggest sequence was probably Halliday and Hicks' introduction. The ending is about as fast as it is in the script. It's a really faithful adaptation.

To it's detriment, I think. While I do love this particular draft, it did need a tidy. Things like Fox's motivation stuck out and the climax was rushed. While I like it's particularly faithful and not snipped down, I wouldn't have minded seeing Johnnie try and fix some elements.

I always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 01, 2019, 10:28:09 AM
I thought this too. I've actually read the script a few times and I still found it hard to keep track of what was going on where at times.

Could definitely have used a 6th issue to flesh the scenes out and be more clear throughout.

The Dutch Ghost

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 01, 2019, 08:12:40 PMI always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

That was the first draft of the script in which there were many more people on the station including the presence of Colonial Marines.

This comic is based on the second version which is a bit more restrained regarding aliens and combat.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 01, 2019, 08:12:40 PM
I always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

Definitely thinking of the first draft. The second is much more restrained.

So RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quite frankly, a Defiant ripoff doesn't sound any better.  In fact, if the Kansas City is any indication of what they do when they have actual creative freedom then I'm glad we got the dropship instead.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PM

So RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

I take it my Easter joke didn't get passed along. :laugh:

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PM

I don't actually think I have read the second draft. For some reason I thought the one I read was the 2nd. It would be a nice extra to have in the Hardcover release. The script I mean.

Did you do a podcast with Johnnie ?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PMSo RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

Interesting/disappointing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed