Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Sep 27, 2014, 12:50:11 AM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 110,649 times)

Seegson

Seegson

Quote from: Darkness on Oct 10, 2014, 08:41:17 AM
Depends what you consider cheap. Every death I suffered was cheap in my book.

I've been watching a lot of streams on Twitch this week and it does seem I had a much harder time of it than other people. The alien always seemed to be in my way whereas for other people, it wasn't even there.

Spoiler
No cheep deaths for me BUT im with you on the twitch thing. In mission 6 the alien was always arround me, patrolling like a mad...but other people had a joy ride there. Also at the beggining of mission 7, if you sneak arround and dont interact with the humans the alien  stay always in the vents and you can wake up the android being alone...but i tryied the same mission later, doing the same...and the alien kill the humans becouse he decied to kill them...period
[close]

szkoki

szkoki

Spoiler
i dunno why is everyone against the working joes  ??? i quiet like them as a foe, rather had problem with that i only once ran into people who didnt want to kill me, it was in lorenz systech, in that big hall before you start to trap the xeno, but guess everyone met those people :( oh okay yeah and with one lady sitting on a couch on the med labs reception, watching the sun. reminded me of
[close]

actually i listened her lines and her character was much deeper than any other main character's in the game and thats says something

Predatorium

Predatorium

My review:

This game will stick on your mind after you've completed it. I haven't played such a nightmarish experience in a long time. And that's a good thing. When you think the nightmare is over you are thrown into another one. It took me 22 hours to get through the campaign on hard. The difficulty is perfectly balanced. As long as you take your time and proceed carefully you should be fine most of the time.

The gameplay mostly consists of you sneaking, staying quiet, hacking, crafting items to distract enemies or impair them. The further you proceed on your different missions you will find upgrades for your tools that will allow you to access areas you earlier couldn't. You will also get your hands on upgrades for your make shift weapons. Lethal weapons will eventually become part of your inventory but it's recommended to avoid using them but the further you get in the game the more lethal situations will become and they will come in handy. You can backtrack if you want to, or explore areas that are not part of the current mission. If you do you might find secret audio logs, items and easter eggs. So the game never feels very linear but instead quite free which I haven't seen since early days of Resident Evil. Of course there's always imminent danger that waits for you to make a mistake. It's even more similar in the way that you have to save your game at save stations, but don't worry, you don't need an ink ribbon. However, the game doesn't pause when you save and it takes a while for the station to load up. Nor does the game pause when you bring up your inventory and crafting system, which is reminiscent of Dead Space.

The story is good and quite straight forward, and it does contain twists and turns that did make me jump with excitement and surprise. However I wish that the conclusion would have been more satisfying. The voice acting is solid but the lipsyncing is quite poor. Especially when it's in-game and not a cut-scene.

The game itself is very well built. At no time did I experience any performance loss, crashes or game glitches that interfered with the gameplay. During my long playthrough I only noticed one or two oddity not even worth mentioning. I played the game on ultra settings and the visuals are very impressive when it comes to lights and shadows. There so many details in the environment in this game that it's amazing. At a closer inspection though, some low-res textures can be found but overall an incredible looking game.
The sound design is perfect, it re-creates and expand upon all the sounds and music from the movie Alien that it makes you feel like you really are in that universe.
The physics are great with your body reacting to everything around you in the environment, you might for example accidentally kick something on the floor and cause a loud noise or tip over furniture etc.

The option menu is well fleshed out with many different visual settings, including FOV.

The different mechanics like crafting, hacking, using tools and weapons is very intuitive. For example when entering a passcode you use your numpad, or when re-loading a weapon you must hold R to reload a full magazine, if you just press R once it will only load one bullet for example. Computer interfaces requires you to use your keyboard to navigate, like if there are no mouses which add to the push button feel of the 70s.

I was worried that the alien's "AI" would fail and break the game, but I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Not at any time did I see the alien glitch out or do something stupid. It really is a ruthless killer that requires your respect. The same goes for the humans and the androids. The humans work together as teams and if they are hostile you better avoid them or distract them to get to where you need to go. The androids are lethal if they catch you, they can't run but they do walk steadily towards you like a terminator.

Conclusion: While it does borrow a lot from other games in the terms of gameplay mechanics, this survival horror game combines old school gameplay with an extremely impressive, dynamic enemy, incredible visual and sound design and a thrilling story in full blown Alien spirit. It's a truly unique experience. If you are a fan, don't miss out on Amanda Ripley's struggle for survival and quest to find the truth..

szkoki

szkoki

i dont think there is any special about the story. first Amanda goes for her mother, for the story about we all know. there is no significal twists after all, nothing new, such as the ending wich could be predictible if we would expecting that CA respects the Alien saga and want to make this game perfectly fit in there.

what could make the story more intresting if there would have been intresting characters, those ones about you  would care but that never happend in A:I

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I was wondering if that was intentional - to further the feeling of being alone. There was no-one you, the player, could relate to other than Ripley.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I like the supporting cast, but I would also like more of them. I understand wanting to ape the minimalism of Alien and its script and characters, which were very laconic, but film has actors who can also improvise off the page. Games need a little more room to move. Too much would've been overwrought, but I would definitely have appreciated more of Samuels, Taylor and especially Verlaine. That's really my only big issue, other than the super-brief ending.

I think Andrea Deck really carries the game and gets you inside Amanda, though, I don't think she's a cipher. And I think she does have an emotional story and narrative which plays out and is affecting.

MrLee

MrLee

Well, i think i spent an hour and a half on it so far.

The games feel/mechanics feel like a mould of.

Deadspace (first one), Amnesia:The Dark Descent, Chronicles of Riddick:Escape from Butcher Bay.

The amount of bricks i have shat already are untold. The feeling i got from the first few minutes once entering the craft, reminded me of when i was a kid playing the bloody start of System Shock 2, a game which i never actually continued due to it scaring me so much with dread as a kid.

Negatives so far. Frame rate tends to go up and down quite noticeably on cutscenes.

WYcoMaNDo92

WYcoMaNDo92

so the story...I'm getting mixed reviews. like i said i think im only like 40% done with the game- maybe and I like how its playing through. but i hear a  bit more complaining about the story. I honestly would have sacrificed some good gameplay for a great story kind of like how Drakengard made you play the game just for that aspect. so I just wanted a solid opinion on it. I was kind of disappointed with the intro of Amanda's character

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

This game, so far, is perfect in every way. Loving every second of it. I'll post a nice 3-hour review of it, I think.

Predboy

Predboy

So far I'm absolutely loving the shit out of this game. The environments and sound effects are amazing, and I ended my little playthrough with a bang, multiple ones....to the head. That'll teach that group to mess with me. :) The only thing I'm really hating now though is that my PS3 version will occasionally lag, and almost ALWAYS at the parts that were probably meant to scare me, and the cutscenes, dear lord not a second goes by without a lag here and there.

Hudson

Hudson

*sigh*

I think the game is finally going to arrive in the mail today.

szkoki

szkoki

keep up

Hudson

Hudson

So I played the game today, tried Crew Expendable a few times. Man...it's a tall order to have to do all that shit with no checkpoints, but I can't say it won't feel earned when I finally manage it. I've only gotten as far as closing off the first two vents. Didn't make it to the landing claw room. It's pretty tough in there, really closed spaces. I'm not sure how I feel about this take on the film, one person wandering around after it was already proven by Brett that didn't exactly work. Slightly disappointed in the lack of film accurate music as well, and like I pointed out in the other thread, the galley doesn't seem accurate. Anyway...

Really impressed with the Alien. I mean, there was a point where I felt that hiding under a desk cheapened things a little, then on its second or third pass through the room it saw me under the desk even though I wasn't moving. Really impressed that it was able to just turn its head and see me, which apparently it just hadn't done earler. Although, playing ring around the rosie with it around the tables was tense, it took me out of it just a little bit. Seems like this mode might be more about timing than anything.

Started the story. Currently at the point where wandering around with Axel (who is straight out of Alien 3). Got to the point where you have to distract the folks by cutting the generator and I didn't get out of the room fast enough, then when they saw me I tried to sprint and got shot down. Game froze when I tried to re-load it so I think I'll take a break.

I haven't exactly gotten into the meat of the game really, but I have to say my first impressions are very positive, especially after AvP3 and ACM. The game's tone is really immersive and foreboding like the first film. The design is good. I'm playing on PS3, a little dodgy here and there, but no huge complaints performance wise. It certainly hasn't changed the gameplay. Really tense, on edge stuff. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game, but I'm anticipating a huge challenge and I did decide to play it on hard. What the hell.

newbeing

newbeing

Having beat the game a few days ago and even after having a few days to think about the game I can't really accurately write what I think about the game.

The gameplay is great. Intense and frightening. Varied enough to keep me on my toes, and deep enough to keep me interested.

The story, while simple is well craft. It felt like I was a part of a greater mystery, and characters all had realistic goals, which made me empathize with them. Amanda, despite my early prejudices about her being in this game, is a great character. There are parts of her story that actually made me pretty emotional. Which is also why the game's ending did feel like a bit of a downer.

Graphically the game is beautiful. Perfectly captures the aesthetic of the first film, while building on it. The world looks and feels lived in. Nice to see character models that look like real people. In game character performance could have used another pass though. The Alien itself looks incredible. It looks like Giger's monster come to life. Animations were believable, as were its behaviors.

Sound design was for me the star of the show. Really helped sell the atmosphere and scares. Jerry Goldsmith score was great, but I felt like much of the other music was kind of filler and too synthetic.

I really enjoyed the hell out of this game. Is it perfect? No, but I do feel it is the biggest step in the right direction we've had from this franchise since ALIENS. It's a frightening, loving, and accessible entry to the franchise, that welcomes back fans and expertly introduces itself to new participants. As a fanatic of the franchise, nothing makes me feel better than to see general audiences freak out over this franchise, in a way that made me fall in love with it in the first place. I feel if anything that was the biggest challenge Creative Assembly had to face, and I feel like they've pulled it off. Good on them.

Overall Alien: Isolation feels like redemption.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteThe gameplay is great.

From what I've played, it does feel like there's an overall heavier layer of polish over the gameplay itself. It feels refined, clean, tested, ready, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed