Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,634 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 17, 2014, 02:14:19 AM
She was a really good character for introducing us to Predator culture, but you're right about her story being pretty much told. I thought her "I'm done with all this" moment from the end of TWW was pretty final, not least because I found it really distasteful how obvious it was as a proxy for Stradley saying "Screw it, I'm done with AvP."

It's a shame that Three World War got the short end of the stick in terms of art. I didn't mind the story but my God, the art was just terrible and it was like the artist didn't even try or they just got someone from Deviantart.

SM

SM

I still don't get hate about the art in TWW.

It's no worse than Colonial Marines, or Music of the Spears, or Rogue, or Civilised Beats, or Thrill of the Hunt.  And all the forementioned are perfectly adequate, without being spectacular.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I couldn't disagree more. With the exception of Colonial Marines, the worst that can be said about any of the series you mentioned is that the art is a bit dated. TWW looks, especially toward the end, like the artist spend all the time leading up to the deadline screwing around, and then scribbled everything together the night before it was due. Battles that are supposed to look epic just look like ill-defined Preds and Marines running around sparse environments. I may actually have liked the series more had it not looked so dreadful. And I may be wrong, but didn't Dark Horse quietly clean up the art a bit before releasing it in trade? It still looked terrible .

SM

SM

No idea.

I don't see any major difference between the art and the start and end of the run.

happypred

Imagine if they choose to continue the story of Caryn Delacroix :D

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Jan 17, 2014, 07:02:36 AM

You can blame renowned X-Men writer, Chris Claremont for that one. The one thing I found amusing was that he took a pot shot at Marvel by showing Wolverine's claw, Cyclops' skull, and Magneto's skull in that one panel. I thought that was neat, got a chuckle out of me but I understand that the comic was extremely bizarre.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 17, 2014, 02:14:19 AM
She was a really good character for introducing us to Predator culture, but you're right about her story being pretty much told. I thought her "I'm done with all this" moment from the end of TWW was pretty final, not least because I found it really distasteful how obvious it was as a proxy for Stradley saying "Screw it, I'm done with AvP."

Quote from: SM on Jan 17, 2014, 02:32:32 AM

I know I'm a broken record with this but the artwork suited the action sequence. I thought it only really sucked when nothing was happening.

I agree with the first quote though. It definitely read like the end of Machiko and Stradley's involvement with AvP.

AliceApocalypse

Noooooo! 

Now give mommy a big kiss...

Ultramorph

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 17, 2014, 07:20:56 PM

Noooooo! 

Now give mommy a big kiss...

Miss me yet?

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: SM on Jan 17, 2014, 02:32:32 AM

It's no worse than Colonial Marines, or Music of the Spears, or Rogue, or Civilised Beats, or Thrill of the Hunt.  And all the forementioned are perfectly adequate, without being spectacular.

All of those were great.  Rogue was a bit stylized, but it fit the story.  Music of the Spears has some of my favorite xenomorph comic designs ever.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I was looking around some A/v/P related tags on Tumblr, and I eventually found my way to the blog (http://www.davepalumbo.blogspot.com/) of David Palumbo, who did the recently released covers for Aliens #1 and Prometheus #1. The little blurb for Aliens #1 caught my eye:

"Aliens #1, oil on panel, 16x24 inches. This version is slightly altered from the one which will see print (http://io9.com/see-dark-horses-first-alien-predator-avp-and-prometh-1500505424). After approval of final, I couldn't help myself go back in and adjust some details."

This is the cover as it appears on his blog:

And this is how it appeared on io9 the other day:

The main differences are the addition, in the io9 version, of the xeno on the bottom right next to the human character. Nothing too major, but it does draw attention to a question I've had about the cover. The xeno looks really small in comparison to the human, and it makes me wonder if it's either just young, or if it's something between a xeno and a Deacon. In addition, the 'alien' we see on the upper left by the cocooned figures looks to have a pointed skull. Not surprising given that these comics will seemingly explore the connection between xenos and Deacons, but just something I thought noteworthy.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks that the top of the cover (with the ridged background above the cocooned figures) makes it looks like this particular hive may be in the mural room from Prometheus? Could be wrong, but still interesting.

On another note, to the point someone brought up earlier, the guy mutating on the cover of AvP #1 does bear a strong resemblance to the giant head statue from Prometheus, especially the ridges on his nose. Interested to see what the endgame of a black goo mutation is. Can't wait to find out more!

happypred

Anyone down for some hostile interaction between xenos and deacons?

What do you think is the relationship between the two?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

If it's well-drawn I'd be down. I see the Xenos and Deacons as similar but ultimately divergent species created by the Engineers as weapons. Then again, the comics could go in the "Deacons evolve into Xenos" direction.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Christ I hope not.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 19, 2014, 07:48:09 AM
Christ I hope not.

Any reason particularly why?

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 19, 2014, 05:17:39 AM
If it's well-drawn I'd be down. I see the Xenos and Deacons as similar but ultimately divergent species created by the Engineers as weapons. Then again, the comics could go in the "Deacons evolve into Xenos" direction.

I don't think that might be the case, as Ridley Scott apparently said that the Deacon isn't supposed to be a Xenomorph but it's own separate species or race even. Emphasis on apparently. So what do we know? According to an interview with Ridley Scott on Screenrant, the ship which left LV-223 and crash landed on LV-426 crash landed some 200 years before the incident occurred on LV-223 before the biological breakout which wiped out nearly all of the engineers. Not to mention the mural depicts fully developed Xenomorphs, complete with the showing of Giger-esque facehuggers.

I would think that the Deacon is not necessarily the first of it's kind, and the Xenomorphs have been around a lot longer than we think.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed