Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 163,033 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2021, 09:50:06 AM
But the film doesn't at all support Burke manipulating or intending to manipulate Gorman. They barely interact in the whole film. Besides which the film actually kind of paints him as a bit hopeless. Slimy, sure, but his tactics amount to going "c'mon, just commit crimes with me, please?" :laugh:

It feels like you're really overselling Burke in the film. There's nothing showing him as some master manipulator.

Burke's an opportunist.  When they interrogated Burke after he let the huggers loose, it was up to Hicks to question Ripley's story.  Gorman stood by and said nothing.  It would've been in Burke's interest to out Gorman as some sort of co-conspirator if they were threatening to execute him - if only to sow discord.
Again, no one said anything about a conspiracy between Gorman and Burke.

The Cruentus

Yeah I didn't particularly like that part where it makes Gorman an accessory so to speak. It also doesn't make sense for the rest of the story. If Burke told Gorman about the Aliens, then the marines shouldn't have been as skepitcal as they were in the beginning.

Also SM, you may need to clear your messages. I couldn't send a message to you. :laugh:

Xenomrph

Gorman knew about the Aliens, they're in Ripley's report that the rest of the Marines didn't bother to read (although Gorman read it - he instructs the other Marines to read it and they blow him off).

The Cruentus

Yes, but if the matter concerning the xenos was a serious thing for Burke and by proxy, Gorman who was aiding him. Then there should have been more emphasis on making the marines take it seriously. Gorman himself doesn't really know what the problem was in the film. He simply say "A xenomorph may be involved" So there was no certainty.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 17, 2021, 11:22:31 AM
Yes, but if the matter concerning the xenos was a serious thing for Burke and by proxy, Gorman who was aiding him. Then there should have been more emphasis on making the marines take it seriously. Gorman himself doesn't really know what the problem was in the film. He simply say "A xenomorph may be involved" So there was no certainty.
Sure, but even Burke didn't know for sure that Ripley wasn't full of shit at that point. He only starts to get confirmation later when the marines enter the colony ("Concentrated acid for blood...").

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah no conspiracy just an implied partial exertion of influence on the state of the mission, makes sense to me, otherwise it's just entirely a coincidence that someone so inexperienced ended up in charge and I frankly don't buy it.

judge death

lol some week after people saying they are fine with canon changing and changing what we knew, now when its shown Weyland yutani cofinanced the colonial marines and ina  way owns them and changing it: same people now complain over it xD
Well its canon now no matter what we think about it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: judge death on May 17, 2021, 05:47:00 PM
lol some week after people saying they are fine with canon changing and changing what we knew, now when its shown Weyland yutani cofinanced the colonial marines and ina  way owns them and changing it: same people now complain over it xD
To be fair, like I mentioned different people have different thresholds for change, or what changes are made.

Granted it pays to get the full context of what was changed, too.

judge death

Yes, exactly what you say :) Im still reading it but not a big issue to me but can understand it is to some.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 17, 2021, 11:14:17 AM
Neither did SM. He's saying if manipulating Gorman was ever a goal, that would've been a great time to try to throw him under the bus to save himself.

I always thought it was obvious Gorman's inexperience was there to showcase the USCM's blasé attitude and that nobody takes Ripley seriously. The organization is arrogant and dismissive from the top down.

Burke is not some puppet master pulling the strings behind a veiled curtain. He's a slimy opportunist looking to make a quick buck.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2021, 08:32:11 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 17, 2021, 11:14:17 AM
Neither did SM.
Yes he did, he said it twice.

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 07:02:40 AMor having some conspiracy with Gorman.
You can't have a conspiracy with someone who doesn't know they're part of the conspiracy.

Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2021, 08:32:11 PM
Burke is not some puppet master pulling the strings behind a veiled curtain. He's a slimy opportunist looking to make a quick buck.
I don't think those need to be mutually exclusive. He created the opportunity to make his job easier by putting Gorman in charge, which would be a sweet ace up his sleeve if he needed it or had the chance to use it.

I'd never considered the angle of Gorman's placement being USCM arrogance, but I still don't agree with it in this case. It feels too coincidental given Burke's motives, a more seasoned commander would have shut Burke down immediately (as Hicks does).
Like I said, it always came across to me that Gorman's placement was deliberate.

Burke doesn't need to be Keyser Soze with wheels within wheels of elaborate machinations, but by being an opportunist he could recognize tools at his disposal (such as available WY leverage towards the USCM) to make his job easier. Plopping a rookie lieutenant in charge of a mission he thinks he can railroad if it came down to it could be one of them.

BlueMarsalis79

I do not see how whether or not Burke or someone he spoke to above that, perhaps putting pressure on the USCM to not take the mission seriously, makes him any more manipulative than already implied.

If he did I do not see the potential to throw Gorman under the bus anyway, because Gorman's likely as much in the dark as the rest of the Marines, and the Bishop android as USCM property also.

In fact I find the idea Burke spoke to someone above him, and that person arranged things so whilst not directly interfering, and risking putting their name on trial they did make it more likely Burke might have the final say through simple deference fairly plausible.

SM

What?

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 17, 2021, 11:14:46 AM
Yeah I didn't particularly like that part where it makes Gorman an accessory so to speak. It also doesn't make sense for the rest of the story. If Burke told Gorman about the Aliens, then the marines shouldn't have been as skepitcal as they were in the beginning.

Also SM, you may need to clear your messages. I couldn't send a message to you. :laugh:

Oh - is 508 messages too many?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:32:22 PM

What?

I believe this was supposed to be a "gotcha"

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 17, 2021, 09:36:39 PM
Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:32:22 PM

What?

I believe this was supposed to be a "gotcha"

Yeah I figured - though I'm not sure what's being got.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed